Old 06-02-2003, 10:07 AM
Drakanthus

Default Papyrus - resting or rigor mortis?

I bought a Papyrus six months ago from Ikea and it seemed to like its
position in a sunny south facing windowsill. It was well watered as per the
label instructions. However over Winter it has completely died back. All the
stems have dried up and died. Is it natural for them to die back over
Winter? Will it put up fresh shoots in the Spring or should it be relocated
to the compost heap?
--
Drakanthus.

( Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the
subject line or emails will never reach me.)

Old 17-02-2003, 01:04 AM
TheGardener

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
I bought a Papyrus six months ago from Ikea and it seemed to like its
position in a sunny south facing windowsill. It was well watered as per

the
label instructions. However over Winter it has completely died back. All

the
stems have dried up and died. Is it natural for them to die back over
Winter? Will it put up fresh shoots in the Spring or should it be

relocated
to the compost heap?
--
Drakanthus.

( Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the
subject line or emails will never reach me.)

I've had two of these in the past. The first one lasted several years, then
died for no apparent reason. The second one was thriving in the
conservatory by the window, but grew so tall that I had to move it back to a
taller part of the conservatory, where it was in a more shady position. It,
too, has now died. I think you will have to accept that yours has departed
this life, is no more, is an ex-Papyrus. RIP.
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 18-02-2003, 08:08 PM
jaz

Howzabout growing it as an aquatic, under about 6" of water. This protects
the rhizomes or whatever they are and will allow the plant to sprout afresh
in spring.Won't work in very cold weather though.

James