Old 05-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Registered User

Smile Honeysuckle Mildew

My honeysuckle as got mildew caused by greenfly . Whats a very good insecticide to treat it with .
Old 05-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
LARGE GOONER wrote:

My honeysuckle as got mildew caused by greenfly . Whats a very good
insecticide to treat it with .

In my experience, a solid spade. Dig it up, as it is in the wrong
place :-(

I have found that L. x tellmanniana and (to some extent) some others
suffer badly from this if in too much shade. I have sprayed with
toxic chemicals in some years and soft soap in others, and they are
about as ineffective as each other. What honeysuckle is it, and is
it in sun or shade?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren
I have found that L. x tellmanniana and (to some extent) some others
suffer badly from this if in too much shade. I have sprayed with
toxic chemicals in some years and soft soap in others, and they are
about as ineffective as each other. What honeysuckle is it, and is
it in sun or shade?
I too have had probs with tellmanniana, my only suggestion is to use a systemtic insectidice as they last for a few weeks and kill off the aphid eggs too. only prob is I think they just kill the aphids and do nothing for mildew so you may want to spray for that too.

interesting that Nick believes they suffer in too much shade as i remember reading recently they also suffer if they get full sun as they get crisped in the heat of summer. perhaps a happy medium is whats needed
Old 06-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Tiger303 writes:

| [ L. x tellmanniana and (to some extent) some other Lonicera ]
|
| interesting that Nick believes they suffer in too much shade as i
| remember reading recently they also suffer if they get full sun as they
| get crisped in the heat of summer. perhaps a happy medium is whats
| needed

Yes, I have read that, too. It is almost entirely nonsense when
applied to the UK. Compared with even Mediterranean climates,
the UK's peak sun strength and warmest days are weak and cool.
Some plants adapted to northern Europe can suffer, but it doesn't
really apply even to L. periclymenum, and ones that come from
southern Europe, north America and Asia almost never do. There
are few places there that have summers as cool as ours and sun
as weak that do not have such cold winters that few woody plants
thrive.

L. x tellmanniana is a cross between a north American and an
Asian honeysuckle, which could be why it can't take shade in
our feeble summers. And, because I have done what is effectively
a controlled experiment over many years, I am certain of my
conclusions about its need for sun (at least in my garden).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Derryl

Old 06-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
LARGE GOONER wrote:

The name of the honeysuckle is lonicera japonica and its situated in
sun with shade at the base .

Grrk. Well, it's not the same problem as with my L. x tellmanniana,
then.

My normal treatment of such things is to spray soft soap on the worst
infections and leave the others to ladybirds etc. But this is
Cambridge, where humidities are usually fairly low (by UK standards).

If your honeysuckle isn't exposed to the rain, then honeydew will
collect and get mildew. If THAT is the cause, the solution is to
wash it off with plain water, perhaps with a bit of detergent or
soft soap in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
LARGE GOONER wrote:

The name of the honeysuckle is lonicera japonica and its situated in
sun with shade at the base .

Grrk. Well, it's not the same problem as with my L. x tellmanniana,
then.

My normal treatment of such things is to spray soft soap on the worst
infections and leave the others to ladybirds etc. But this is
Cambridge, where humidities are usually fairly low (by UK standards).

If your honeysuckle isn't exposed to the rain, then honeydew will
collect and get mildew. If THAT is the cause, the solution is to
wash it off with plain water, perhaps with a bit of detergent or
soft soap in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Lonicera japonica is well known for doing this especially some forms, the
only time its is truly happy is when it is growing in a swamp - then it can
be too happy! The form Lonicera japonica 'Acumen' is the best for no leaf
problems but does not have the best flowers, the best evergreen scented
honeysuckle by a mile is Lonicera similis delavayi, that is however a bit
tender.
So try copious watering or better still dig it up!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk