GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ceanothus for hedging? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9358-ceanothus-hedging.html)

Adrian Stanley 07-02-2003 09:52 PM

Ceanothus for hedging?

I have a south facing fence, about 60 ft long and 4 ft high. I really like
the vibrant colour of ceanothus and I'm wondering if it would make a
suitable hedge to run along in front of the fence. I've seen some types
which have small leaves and very type clumps of bright blue flowers in the
spring/early summer. I would like the plants to grow to least 6-7 ft.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks very much.

Charlie Pridham 08-02-2003 08:52 AM

Ceanothus for hedging?

"Adrian Stanley" wrote in message
I have a south facing fence, about 60 ft long and 4 ft high. I really like
the vibrant colour of ceanothus and I'm wondering if it would make a
suitable hedge to run along in front of the fence.

tends to be to short lived to make a good hedge, and apart from C. arborea
does not like being cut back.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Inge Jones 08-02-2003 10:02 AM

Ceanothus for hedging?

In article ,
spam says...
I have a south facing fence, about 60 ft long and 4 ft high. I really like
the vibrant colour of ceanothus and I'm wondering if it would make a
suitable hedge to run along in front of the fence. I've seen some types
which have small leaves and very type clumps of bright blue flowers in the
spring/early summer. I would like the plants to grow to least 6-7 ft.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks very much.

We had a single ceanothus in our last garden, and although I cannot
remember which actual breed it was, I can confirm that the right sort
should work as a hedge. It did want to produce leaf all the way down to
the ground, was dense, and didn't mind being clipped quite severely - it
soon filled in any gaps.

sacha 08-02-2003 10:11 AM

Ceanothus for hedging?

in article , Inge Jones at
wrote on 8/2/03 10:02 am:

In article ,
spam says...
I have a south facing fence, about 60 ft long and 4 ft high. I really like
the vibrant colour of ceanothus and I'm wondering if it would make a
suitable hedge to run along in front of the fence. I've seen some types
which have small leaves and very type clumps of bright blue flowers in the
spring/early summer. I would like the plants to grow to least 6-7 ft.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks very much.

We had a single ceanothus in our last garden, and although I cannot
remember which actual breed it was, I can confirm that the right sort
should work as a hedge. It did want to produce leaf all the way down to
the ground, was dense, and didn't mind being clipped quite severely - it
soon filled in any gaps.

Ray suggests C. 'Trewithen Blue' would spread well for this purpose. But
Adrian would be best to look at an illustration to ensure the blue is what
he wants. C.'Italian Skies' is lovely but it isn't as spreading. You can
keep them in check but received wisdom seems to be that they don't like a
lot of hacking into. But reducing height, for example, should be fine.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk