Old 05-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Phil L

Default raised bed edging

I have a yucca in my front garden which has grown very wide and tall, it's
now about 6ft high and the main trunk is 6 inches in diameter, in summer it
sends up huge stalks with pink flowers on and these reach another five feet
making it abut 11 ft in total during summer (I have no idea what it is
really, but it started at about six inches high 12 yrs ago)....anyhoo, it's
in a bed in the middle of the lawn and it's roots have started to show and
send up dozens of new shoots (these can be pulled off and chucked in some
compost and grow rapidly) - the bed is round and I'm having trouble cutting
the lawn around it, I want to put an edging in, something that I can strim
up to and also to hold in about 9 inches of soil, this will also make it
easier to water....I don't really want anything made from wood as it would
rot and to get it circular would be a PITA, I can't afford much as I'm a
registered miser...any ideas?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:49 PM
JennyC

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

A friend asked me a similar question recently.......I found this:
www.smartedge.co.uk

Jenny

Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Phil L

JennyC wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: . uk...
[...]
:::
::: --
::: If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us
::: stomachs.
:::
::
:: A friend asked me a similar question recently.......I found this:
:: www.smartedge.co.uk
::

Thanks but was trying not to spend much (if any!) money...I've decided on
roof slates about a foot wide and two foot long, buried about a foot deep
giving me a foot above ground? - I can get slates for free and I'll only
need about twenty, I'm just wondering if they will effectively hold the soil
back or if it will leak through the gaps? - our soil is very fine and sandy.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 07-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Mike Lyle

Phil L wrote:
[...]
Thanks but was trying not to spend much (if any!) money...I've
decided on roof slates about a foot wide and two foot long, buried
about a foot deep giving me a foot above ground? - I can get slates
for free and I'll only need about twenty, I'm just wondering if

they
will effectively hold the soil back or if it will leak through the
gaps? - our soil is very fine and sandy.

Nice recycling! But one word of caution: a slate on edge in the
ground can give a nasty gash to anybody who happens to fall on it.
Opened a finger to the bone when I did it.

--
Mike.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Phil L

Mike Lyle wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
:: [...]
::: Thanks but was trying not to spend much (if any!) money...I've
::: decided on roof slates about a foot wide and two foot long, buried
::: about a foot deep giving me a foot above ground? - I can get
::: slates for free and I'll only need about twenty, I'm just
::: wondering if they will effectively hold the soil back or if it
::: will leak through the gaps? - our soil is very fine and sandy.
::
:: Nice recycling! But one word of caution: a slate on edge in the
:: ground can give a nasty gash to anybody who happens to fall on it.
:: Opened a finger to the bone when I did it.
::

Cheers for the heads up, but I intend cutting them with my angle grinder so
that the tops are squared off...also there's not much chance of anyone
falling on them, the Yucca would have stabbed them to death first! - it's
leaf tips are like needles and rock hard!

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.