GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wild roses cut back to 4 inches high... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9361-wild-roses-cut-back-4-inches-high.html)

gareth crawshaw 08-02-2003 12:27 PM

Wild roses cut back to 4 inches high...

Hi,

I and my neighbours have (or had until yesterday) a row of wild roses that
were about 5 feet high (4ft deep and 80ft long) along the front of our
gardens. Yesterday, I returned home to discover that the coucil's landscape
gardeners had pruned this row to a height of about four inches...

The question is then, are the plants likely to recover from such a severe
cutting? Thanks for any answers...

Gareth

Sarah Dale 09-02-2003 12:02 PM

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 12:27:44 +0000, gareth crawshaw wrote:

I and my neighbours have (or had until yesterday) a row of wild roses that
were about 5 feet high (4ft deep and 80ft long) along the front of our
gardens. Yesterday, I returned home to discover that the coucil's landscape
gardeners had pruned this row to a height of about four inches...

Perhaps a better question would be whether the Council had any right to
prune your roses?

This reminds me of a story some years ago - probably in the days of
British Rail. BR were triming trees through a cutting to ensure the line
wasn't obstructed etc. etc., but in doing so, the work gang got in to a
persons garden and cut down a number of trees belonging to that person
(and not interfering with the railway) - leaving quite a hideous view of
the railway and a very irrate gardener. Didn't ever find out what happened
afterward....

Sarah