GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Indoor Hyacinth (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9362-indoor-hyacinth.html)

Jack 08-02-2003 12:27 PM

Indoor Hyacinth

I have just found some indoor hyacinth bulbs that I forgot to plant. Can
these bulbs be planted and grown indoors now, or is it too late?

Thanks.

Beachcomber 08-02-2003 01:42 PM

Indoor Hyacinth

Who knows? Better to try as they won't do anything otherwise

Jack wrote:
: I have just found some indoor hyacinth bulbs that I forgot to plant.
: Can these bulbs be planted and grown indoors now, or is it too late?
:
: Thanks.

--
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/campaign/cut...aq.html#action

Nick Williamson 11-02-2003 12:21 PM

Indoor Hyacinth

Along similar lines, my indoor hyacinths flowered in early January and
I wasn't very pleased with them. The flowers weren't what you would
call spectacular and they were dwarfed by the leaves, which were
easily double the height of the flower. Is this normal? I'm guessing
that the NPK of the compost is to blame.

I watered them, gave them a bit of feed once they started flowering
and they got a lot of light too...

TIA
Nick

Martin Sykes 11-02-2003 03:05 PM

Indoor Hyacinth

"Nick Williamson" wrote in message
om...
Along similar lines, my indoor hyacinths flowered in early January and
I wasn't very pleased with them. The flowers weren't what you would
call spectacular and they were dwarfed by the leaves, which were
easily double the height of the flower. Is this normal? I'm guessing
that the NPK of the compost is to blame.

I watered them, gave them a bit of feed once they started flowering
and they got a lot of light too...

Ours did this too. Apparently they need to be kept in the dark for quite a
while at the start otherwise they flower when they're still too small. Our
were on a sunny windowsill so I guess a more shady spot is better.

Martin

Michael Berridge 11-02-2003 10:04 PM

Indoor Hyacinth

Martin Sykes wrote in message ...
"Nick Williamson" wrote in message
. com...
Along similar lines, my indoor hyacinths flowered in early January

and
I wasn't very pleased with them. The flowers weren't what you would
call spectacular and they were dwarfed by the leaves, which were
easily double the height of the flower. Is this normal? I'm guessing
that the NPK of the compost is to blame.

I watered them, gave them a bit of feed once they started flowering
and they got a lot of light too...

Ours did this too. Apparently they need to be kept in the dark for

quite a
while at the start otherwise they flower when they're still too small.

Our
were on a sunny windowsill so I guess a more shady spot is better.

Martin

They really need to be kept in the dark until the flower bud is just
visible, and then moved into a cool room until the flower starts to show
colour, then they can be brought into the warmth. Bringing them into the
warmth too early will mean that they put their energy into the leaves
and not the flowers.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk