Old 08-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Alan Gabriel"

contains
these words:

[...]
Trap the mole, skin it and make a pair of gloves for the wife.

Wife must have rather small hands...

[...]

I'm not intending to be unkind here, but one of my wives was
gobsmacked when she first saw a mole: she'd been under the impression
that they were bigger than cats.

No reason she should know the scale. (Though I did well before I was five.)

Some time ago I was getting milk for the staffroom tea in Barking, and I
went into the local shop and eyed the milk on offer with some disfavour
- a choice of sterilised or homogenised.

"Haven't you got any *REAL* milk?" I asked.

"Nah luv," replied the countermatron, "all we've got is cah's miwk."

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

I'm not intending to be nosey here, but how many wives have you
got?

None at the moment, as far as I remember. But I'm sometimes rather
absent-minded, so I suppose I'd better check...hmm, no sign of
razor-abuse, books all over the dining-table (and not one of them
about miracle diets), pile of washing-up in sink: if this is where I
live, I'm definitely living alone.

Ah. probably the same reason as I haven't got one, then...

Old 08-05-2005, 10:35 PM
shazzbat

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

The wood pigeons totally decimate the brassicas if they are not netted.

"if
you don't net 'em, you don't get 'em"

pedant

You can't *TOTALLY* decimate anything: you either decimate it, or you
don't. (Decimate means kill one in ten.)

/pedant

They came and decimated them ten times :-))

Steve

Old 08-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
shazzbat wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

The wood pigeons totally decimate the brassicas if they are not netted.

"if
you don't net 'em, you don't get 'em"

pedant

You can't *TOTALLY* decimate anything: you either decimate it, or you
don't. (Decimate means kill one in ten.)

/pedant

They came and decimated them ten times :-))

extreme pedantry

That would reduce their numbers by about 65%.

/extreme pedantry

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

You can't *TOTALLY* decimate anything: you either decimate it, or you
don't. (Decimate means kill one in ten.)

/pedant

They came and decimated them ten times :-))

pedantry+

leaving but .3486771 of the original...

/+

Old 09-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Gabriel" contains
these words:

/snip/

I might have a slightly bigger problem now though - rabbits. We have
had
some in the front garden a couple of times and I got the dogs to chase
them away so hopefully they will get the message and not come back.

Aren't you lucky? As above but make a meal of it to go with the runner
beans.

I can go along with that - just as long as the wife doesn't mind her
gloves constantly moulting.

Agreed. First wife had a rabbit skin fur coat, back in the '60's. It
moulted
all over the place.

That's because rabbits moult continuously, rather than at set times of
the year.

/snip/

The trouble with pigeons is that the descend on the farmers' fields and
tuck into the seed he's just sown, and that's usually dressed with
pesticides and fungicides, and that is absorbed into the pigeon's flesh.
Too many pigeons can be bad news for the nosher of casseroles.

Does it remain in the flesh? Do they make safer eating later in the year?

Some does, and i would guess, some doesn't.

Fortunately (I think) mercury isn't permitted as a seed dressing any
longer, which was one reason for poison pie.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:36 AM
shazzbat

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
shazzbat wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

The wood pigeons totally decimate the brassicas if they are not

netted.
"if
you don't net 'em, you don't get 'em"

pedant

You can't *TOTALLY* decimate anything: you either decimate it, or you
don't. (Decimate means kill one in ten.)

/pedant

They came and decimated them ten times :-))

extreme pedantry

That would reduce their numbers by about 65%.

Errrr......

Errrrrr.......

Errrrrrr.......

ten flocks of ten came and simultaneously decimated them.

Steve