Old 06-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Roger Hembury

Default Runner beans and moles

Just had a quick check of my runner beans and found a couple of mole hills
in among the canes.

May be a really dumb question but would a mole eat runner bean roots?

TIA

Roger

Old 06-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Roger Hembury" writes:

| Just had a quick check of my runner beans and found a couple of mole hills
| in among the canes.
|
| May be a really dumb question but would a mole eat runner bean roots?

No.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 6 May 2005 15:57:44 +0000 (UTC), "Roger Hembury"
wrote:

Just had a quick check of my runner beans and found a couple of mole hills
in among the canes.

May be a really dumb question but would a mole eat runner bean roots?

No, but what it might do is burrow around the roots and leave them
dangling in mid air.
This isn't a big problem once the beans are established, but right now
it could knock them back a bit.
I had the exact same problem last year and found that pushing a hand
into the soil around the roots every now and again ensures the roots
maintain contact with the soil.
I had as fine a crop of beans as I've ever had.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 07-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Roger Hembury" contains these words:

Just had a quick check of my runner beans and found a couple of mole hills
in among the canes.

May be a really dumb question but would a mole eat runner bean roots?

No, but watering them, especially if you've dug in compost, attracts
worms, and worms attract moles.

When i had the smallholding, even though I'd buried ˝" netting to a
depth of 2˝ feet round my greenhouse, they still burrowed under so they
could undermine my tomatoes..

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 07-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Roger Hembury

In a small village, just outside Warminster in Wiltshire.

Has been a bit cold in the evenings of late but so far no frost, but I am
keeping everything crossed just in case.

Update on the mole - I stood on the mole hills and flattened them down and
so far there aren't any more molehills. With a bit of luck he has gone.

I might have a slightly bigger problem now though - rabbits. We have had
some in the front garden a couple of times and I got the dogs to chase them
away so hopefully they will get the message and not come back.

Anybody else have a problem with the local wildlife? The only visitor I
didn't mind was the Sparrowhawk that decided to have a pidgeon for lunch on
our front lawn, as I had never seen one that close before. It sat there
having a munch for about half and hour which gave me plenty of camcorder
footage.

Roger

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(Janet Baraclough) wrote:

It's very early in the year to have your runner beans planted out.
They aren't frost hardy.

Depends where he is. Last frost date here is generally reckoned to be
1st May.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Old 07-05-2005, 11:26 PM
shazzbat

"Roger Hembury" wrote in message
In a small village, just outside Warminster in Wiltshire.

Has been a bit cold in the evenings of late but so far no frost, but I am
keeping everything crossed just in case.

Update on the mole - I stood on the mole hills and flattened them down and
so far there aren't any more molehills. With a bit of luck he has gone.

He hasn't. You don't get that lucky.

I might have a slightly bigger problem now though - rabbits. We have had
some in the front garden a couple of times and I got the dogs to chase

them
away so hopefully they will get the message and not come back.

They will.

Anybody else have a problem with the local wildlife?

Does anybody not have a problem with wildlife?

Our allotment has moles, rabbits, mice, pigeons inhabiting the tree belt
separating the allotments from the golf course.

In our first year we had a row that went turnip, molehill, turnip, molehill,
turnip molehill, turnip, molehill with a turnip on top.

Last year the cucumber plant in the greenhouse border was pushed up out of
the soil by moley. I replaced it, and this happened several times, the plant
gave up the ghost. This year I've made a wire mesh cylinder to plant it in.

The rabbits are not too much of a problem although I think it's them who are
nibbling the tops off the onions. The cats which live adjoining the
allotment help in keeping them down the other end of the site, so I don't
mind the cats too much, not like at home. They also kill some of the mice.
We know this because they leave the corpses outside the shed for the wife to
find. I think they enjoy the screaming.

The wood pigeons totally decimate the brassicas if they are not netted. "if
you don't net 'em, you don't get 'em"

And of course the usual attention from slugs snails caterpillars etc.

Wouldn't be gardening without them really would it?

Steve
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/steveandmaggiesplot

Old 08-05-2005, 03:39 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Roger Hembury" wrote in message
In a small village, just outside Warminster in Wiltshire.

Has been a bit cold in the evenings of late but so far no frost, but I am
keeping everything crossed just in case.

Update on the mole - I stood on the mole hills and flattened them down and
so far there aren't any more molehills. With a bit of luck he has gone.

Trap the mole, skin it and make a pair of gloves for the wife.

I might have a slightly bigger problem now though - rabbits. We have had
some in the front garden a couple of times and I got the dogs to chase
them away so hopefully they will get the message and not come back.

Aren't you lucky? As above but make a meal of it to go with the runner
beans.

Anybody else have a problem with the local wildlife? The only visitor I
didn't mind was the Sparrowhawk that decided to have a pidgeon for lunch
on our front lawn, as I had never seen one that close before. It sat there
having a munch for about half and hour which gave me plenty of camcorder
footage.

Take the pigeon off the Sparrowhawk and casserole it. Excellent eating.

--
Regards,
Alan

Preserve wildlife - pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Alan Gabriel wrote:
"Roger Hembury" wrote [...]
Anybody else have a problem with the local wildlife? The only
visitor I didn't mind was the Sparrowhawk that decided to have a
pidgeon for lunch on our front lawn, as I had never seen one that
close before. It sat there having a munch for about half and hour
which gave me plenty of camcorder footage.

Take the pigeon off the Sparrowhawk and casserole it. Excellent
eating.

Still more OT: Heartbreak department. Every trip to London I have to
ignore perfectly good pheasants by the roadside because of following
traffic. But this week I had to pass up the realisation of a fantasy
cherished for a lifetime: only one car behind me, clear road, and on
the verge an immaculately unmangled deer. But I'm now in a flat, with
absolutely nowhere to do the necessary. I hope you feel my pain.

--
Mike.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

The wood pigeons totally decimate the brassicas if they are not netted. "if
you don't net 'em, you don't get 'em"

pedant

You can't *TOTALLY* decimate anything: you either decimate it, or you
don't. (Decimate means kill one in ten.)

/pedant

And of course the usual attention from slugs snails caterpillars etc.

Wouldn't be gardening without them really would it?

Mmmmm! Mollusc and caterpillar paté!

Old 08-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Gabriel" contains
these words:

Update on the mole - I stood on the mole hills and flattened them
down and
so far there aren't any more molehills. With a bit of luck he has gone.

Trap the mole, skin it and make a pair of gloves for the wife.

Wife must have rather small hands...

I might have a slightly bigger problem now though - rabbits. We have had
some in the front garden a couple of times and I got the dogs to chase
them away so hopefully they will get the message and not come back.

Aren't you lucky? As above but make a meal of it to go with the runner
beans.

I can go along with that - just as long as the wife doesn't mind her
gloves constantly moulting.

Anybody else have a problem with the local wildlife? The only visitor I
didn't mind was the Sparrowhawk that decided to have a pidgeon for lunch
on our front lawn, as I had never seen one that close before. It sat
there
having a munch for about half and hour which gave me plenty of camcorder
footage.

Take the pigeon off the Sparrowhawk and casserole it. Excellent eating.

The trouble with pigeons is that the descend on the farmers' fields and
tuck into the seed he's just sown, and that's usually dressed with
pesticides and fungicides, and that is absorbed into the pigeon's flesh.
Too many pigeons can be bad news for the nosher of casseroles.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Alan Gabriel"

contains
these words:

[...]
Trap the mole, skin it and make a pair of gloves for the wife.

Wife must have rather small hands...

[...]

I'm not intending to be unkind here, but one of my wives was
gobsmacked when she first saw a mole: she'd been under the impression
that they were bigger than cats.

--
Mike.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Alan Gabriel"

contains
these words:

[...]
Trap the mole, skin it and make a pair of gloves for the wife.

Wife must have rather small hands...

I'm not intending to be unkind here, but one of my wives was
gobsmacked when she first saw a mole: she'd been under the

impression
that they were bigger than cats.

I'm not intending to be nosey here, but how many wives have you
got?

None at the moment, as far as I remember. But I'm sometimes rather
absent-minded, so I suppose I'd better check...hmm, no sign of
razor-abuse, books all over the dining-table (and not one of them
about miracle diets), pile of washing-up in sink: if this is where I
live, I'm definitely living alone.

--
Mike.

--
Mike.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Still more OT: Heartbreak department. Every trip to London I have to
ignore perfectly good pheasants by the roadside because of following
traffic. But this week I had to pass up the realisation of a fantasy
cherished for a lifetime: only one car behind me, clear road, and on
the verge an immaculately unmangled deer. But I'm now in a flat, with
absolutely nowhere to do the necessary. I hope you feel my pain.

Indeed. As someone who found a doe roe in just such condition with
slight head injuries, and happened to have a roll of bin-liners in the
boot and three acres and a stable yard to take it back to, my heart
bleeds - for you.

However, a word of warning: it is illegal to pick up even dead game
unless you have the permission of the landowner and you have a game
licence.

You are permitted to (say) despatch an injured pheasant, though you must
leave it there.

But only if there are witnesses, usually dressed in jackets and
kneebreeches...

Old 08-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Alan Gabriel

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Alan Gabriel" contains
these words:

Update on the mole - I stood on the mole hills and flattened them
down and
so far there aren't any more molehills. With a bit of luck he has gone.

Trap the mole, skin it and make a pair of gloves for the wife.

Wife must have rather small hands...

Always choose a wife with small hands. It makes your d*ck look bigger.

I might have a slightly bigger problem now though - rabbits. We have
had
some in the front garden a couple of times and I got the dogs to chase
them away so hopefully they will get the message and not come back.

Aren't you lucky? As above but make a meal of it to go with the runner
beans.

I can go along with that - just as long as the wife doesn't mind her
gloves constantly moulting.

Agreed. First wife had a rabbit skin fur coat, back in the '60's. It moulted
all over the place.

Anybody else have a problem with the local wildlife? The only visitor I
didn't mind was the Sparrowhawk that decided to have a pidgeon for
lunch
on our front lawn, as I had never seen one that close before. It sat
there
having a munch for about half and hour which gave me plenty of
camcorder
footage.

Take the pigeon off the Sparrowhawk and casserole it. Excellent eating.

The trouble with pigeons is that the descend on the farmers' fields and
tuck into the seed he's just sown, and that's usually dressed with
pesticides and fungicides, and that is absorbed into the pigeon's flesh.
Too many pigeons can be bad news for the nosher of casseroles.

Does it remain in the flesh? Do they make safer eating later in the year?