GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sweet Peas - again! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/93672-sweet-peas-again.html)

Martello 07-05-2005 08:56 AM

Sweet Peas - again!

I have a few 'Cupani' Sweet Pea Grandiflora that are now about 1½ ft. tall,
growing up a trellis archway. I understand that they will, in time, grow to
at least 6ft. Do I need to pinch the tips out, as I would on the taller
varieties, or should I leave them to get on with growing un-pinched? I
wouldn't want to harm them in any way. Please advise.

Thank you
Martello

Mike Lyle 07-05-2005 09:43 AM

Martello wrote:
I have a few 'Cupani' Sweet Pea Grandiflora that are now about 1½

ft.
tall, growing up a trellis archway. I understand that they will, in
time, grow to at least 6ft. Do I need to pinch the tips out, as I
would on the taller varieties, or should I leave them to get on

with
growing un-pinched? I wouldn't want to harm them in any way. Please
advise.

I'd say pinch out: more side-shoots=more flowers. They'll make their
height anyhow, as long as they've got fertile soil and moisture
underneath.

--
Mike.