GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Frost warnings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/93695-frost-warnings.html)

Broadback 07-05-2005 06:39 PM

Frost warnings

Anyone know of a good site that will give frost warnings for a
particular area please? I have tried a google with no satisfactory
result. The BBC net forecast does not seem very specific about frost.
Though there was a warning on TV. However I cannot always watch the TV
forecast, so an Internet site would be good.
TIA

Phil L 07-05-2005 06:57 PM

Broadback wrote:
:: Anyone know of a good site that will give frost warnings for a
:: particular area please? I have tried a google with no satisfactory
:: result. The BBC net forecast does not seem very specific about
:: frost. Though there was a warning on TV. However I cannot always
:: watch the TV forecast, so an Internet site would be good.
:: TIA

I'm afraid the BBC Weather forecast are usually miles out...take this as an
example, from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/northwest/
HERE IS A WARNING OF HEAVY RAIN AFFECTING GREATER MANCHESTER, LANCASHIRE,
CHESHIRE AND MERSEYSIDE. ISSUED BY THE MET OFFICE AT 11:43 ON SATURDAY, 7
MAY 2005. FURTHER HEAVY SHOWERS, WITH EVEN HAIL, ARE EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON
AND AT FIRST THIS EVENING LEADING TO RATHER POOR DRIVING CONDITIONS AT
TIMES. VALID UNTIL: 19:00 ON 07 MAY 2005

Now I live slap-bang in the middle of this lot and haven't seen so much as a
cloud all day, the sun has been cracking the proverbial flags all day
long....where the hell do they get their information from?

On a related note, I have found the ITV teletext 5 day forecast to be spot
on at least 90% of times, again the BBC's offering, Ceefax weather is dire.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Mike 07-05-2005 07:05 PM

I'm afraid the BBC Weather forecast are usually miles out...take this as

an
example, from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/northwest/
HERE IS A WARNING OF HEAVY RAIN AFFECTING GREATER MANCHESTER, LANCASHIRE,
CHESHIRE AND MERSEYSIDE. ISSUED BY THE MET OFFICE AT 11:43 ON SATURDAY, 7
MAY 2005. FURTHER HEAVY SHOWERS, WITH EVEN HAIL, ARE EXPECTED THIS

AFTERNOON
AND AT FIRST THIS EVENING LEADING TO RATHER POOR DRIVING CONDITIONS AT
TIMES. VALID UNTIL: 19:00 ON 07 MAY 2005

Now I live slap-bang in the middle of this lot and haven't seen so much as

cloud all day, the sun has been cracking the proverbial flags all day
long....where the hell do they get their information from?

They were close! We had spots of rain on the Isle of Wight. About a dozen on
the top of my car!!

Mike

Sue Begg 07-05-2005 07:37 PM

In message , Mike
writes

[...]

We got all the rain for everyone here in Aberdeenshire. It's very
frustrating watching the weeds flourish when I know I will do more harm
than good by playing out in the rain :-(
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Robert 07-05-2005 09:03 PM

: --
: If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.
:
Love your signature, I will copy it

Robert 07-05-2005 09:05 PM

"Broadback" wrote in message
: Anyone know of a good site that will give frost warnings for a
: particular area please? I have tried a google with no satisfactory
: result. The BBC net forecast does not seem very specific about frost.
: Though there was a warning on TV. However I cannot always watch the TV
: forecast, so an Internet site would be good.
: TIA

This is what I use, pick your own area, still not as good as looking out the
window and deciding that it's not worth taking a risk
http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/europ...ncornwall.html

John K 07-05-2005 10:50 PM

"Broadback" wrote in message
Anyone know of a good site that will give frost warnings for a
particular area please? I have tried a google with no satisfactory
result. The BBC net forecast does not seem very specific about frost.
Though there was a warning on TV. However I cannot always watch the TV
forecast, so an Internet site would be good.
TIA

You could try the met office site http://www.ukmo.co.uk/ , although its hard
to be precise about local frost, there's a reasonably high risk anytime the
forecast is for air temps less than about 4 (these are 2m temperatures, so
ground will often be lower under clear skies). If you know how to interpret
it, and want a bit more insight (and don't mind a bit of German!), try
http://www2.wetter3.de/animation.html

replies to the given email address will bounce. Please insert the figure "2"
immediately after "news" instead.
Thanks for your cooperation.
John K

p00kie 08-05-2005 05:56 AM

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
In message , Mike
writes

[...]

The rain came down here in mid-essex too ... big fat splotches ...
intermittent bursts too!

Broadback 08-05-2005 08:44 AM

John K wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks folk, but in defence of the BBC forcast, here in North
Staffordshire they were spot on, we had those heavy showers and hail!

Klara 08-05-2005 09:01 AM

Broadback writes
Anyone know of a good site that will give frost warnings for a
particular area please? I have tried a google with no satisfactory
result. The BBC net forecast does not seem very specific about frost.
Though there was a warning on TV. However I cannot always watch the TV
forecast, so an Internet site would be good.

I have earmarked five sites: Met Office, BBC, ITV, Ananova, and
Accuweather. Generally they don't agree, even remotely.
ATM BBC and Ananova have frost warnings for this area for Monday, but
not the other three - we'll see....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

jon frohmaier 09-05-2005 06:09 AM

I have earmarked five sites: Met Office, BBC, ITV, Ananova, and
Accuweather. Generally they don't ag

In message , Klara
writes
Broadback writes
Anyone know of a good site that will give frost warnings for a
particular area please? I have tried a google with no satisfactory
result. The BBC net forecast does not seem very specific about frost.
Though there was a warning on TV. However I cannot always watch the
TV forecast, so an Internet site would be good.

Try the following

http://www.metcheck.com/

type in post code at the top
click forecast at the top
scroll down and choose hobby forecasts/garden forecasts

--
Jon Frohmaier

Klara 09-05-2005 08:48 AM

In message , jon frohmaier
writes
Anyone know of a good site that will give frost warnings for a
particular area please?

Try the following

http://www.metcheck.com/

type in post code at the top
click forecast at the top
scroll down and choose hobby forecasts/garden forecasts

Quite fun, this one - but how accurate, I wonder?

I found it somewhat offputting that now (Monday morning) they are still
forecasting Sunday....

I'm not too fond of wind, so all the scudding clouds were rather
depressing.

Tried 'drying time': well, no washing for me this week...
Could have a chilly BBQ on Friday, though.

Then I tried the 'rest of 2005' link, which turned out in fact to be the
next 12 months - and found nothing but rain, with just a few isolated
sunny periods - now, that would really depress me, if I believed it....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Sue Begg 09-05-2005 10:22 AM

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
I just took a look on that site at our postcode's forecast. Today's 9
am temperature is forecast as 8C, which matches my outdoor thermometer.
The "poor, 4hours " laundry-drying forecast this morning , is completely
wrong... it's windy with blue sky and bright sun, a perfect day for fast
wrinkle-free drying. And hoeing weeds.

Janet.

Can you send me some please ?
We have rain again - and wind but I just accept that as part of living
here it's very rare for the fans to be turned off there is always a
'bracing breeze' :-))

Jaques d'Alltrades 09-05-2005 11:45 AM

The message
from Klara contains these words:

Then I tried the 'rest of 2005' link, which turned out in fact to be the
next 12 months - and found nothing but rain, with just a few isolated
sunny periods - now, that would really depress me, if I believed it....

Klara, Gatwick basin

I do hope Gatwick Basin has a plug, then, and that you can find it.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Klara 09-05-2005 04:42 PM

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
Then I tried the 'rest of 2005' link, which turned out in fact to be the
next 12 months - and found nothing but rain, with just a few isolated
sunny periods - now, that would really depress me, if I believed it....

Klara, Gatwick basin

I do hope Gatwick Basin has a plug, then, and that you can find it.

We're right at the bottom of the basin, sitting on the plug :-((
If we pulled it, the whole region would go down the hole!

Often 2 miles in any direction is warm and dry and sunny, while we
shiver in the fog.
--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Mike Lyle 09-05-2005 05:33 PM

Klara wrote:
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
Then I tried the 'rest of 2005' link, which turned out in fact to
be the next 12 months - and found nothing but rain, with just a

few
isolated sunny periods - now, that would really depress me, if I
believed it....

Klara, Gatwick basin

I do hope Gatwick Basin has a plug, then, and that you can find

it.

We're right at the bottom of the basin, sitting on the plug :-((
If we pulled it, the whole region would go down the hole!

Often 2 miles in any direction is warm and dry and sunny, while we
shiver in the fog.

Ah, I expect that's why they put an international airport there.

--
Mike.

Jaques d'Alltrades 09-05-2005 10:01 PM

The message
from Klara contains these words:
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

Then I tried the 'rest of 2005' link, which turned out in fact to be the
next 12 months - and found nothing but rain, with just a few isolated
sunny periods - now, that would really depress me, if I believed it....

Klara, Gatwick basin

I do hope Gatwick Basin has a plug, then, and that you can find it.

We're right at the bottom of the basin, sitting on the plug :-((
If we pulled it, the whole region would go down the hole!

Often 2 miles in any direction is warm and dry and sunny, while we
shiver in the fog.

Strikes me as a strange place for our ancestors to choose to have a goat farm.

Dave 10-05-2005 09:12 AM

Then I tried the 'rest of 2005' link, which turned out in fact to be the
next 12 months - and found nothing but rain, with just a few isolated
sunny periods - now, that would really depress me, if I believed it....

Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

I do hope Gatwick Basin has a plug, then, and that you can find it.

Klara writes
We're right at the bottom of the basin, sitting on the plug :-((
If we pulled it, the whole region would go down the hole!

Often 2 miles in any direction is warm and dry and sunny, while we
shiver in the fog.

Poor you! I often have the reverse - I sit on the inside edge of a
horse-shoe shaped ridge on the Chilterns, and quite often I am in
sunshine and can see fog and rain and cloud all around. But I also get a
lot more wind which makes it harder to grow many things until I can grow
a shelter belt - another 15-25 years!!

Weather forecasts often apply all around me, but not to my own little
patch which has its own ideas. But then that's micro climates for you,
and we all live in them :-)

--
David

Klara 10-05-2005 01:43 PM

In message , Dave
writes
Often 2 miles in any direction is warm and dry and sunny, while we
shiver in the fog.

Poor you! I often have the reverse - I sit on the inside edge of a
horse-shoe shaped ridge on the Chilterns, and quite often I am in
sunshine and can see fog and rain and cloud all around. But I also get
a lot more wind which makes it harder to grow many things until I can
grow a shelter belt - another 15-25 years!!

Weather forecasts often apply all around me, but not to my own little
patch which has its own ideas. But then that's micro climates for you,
and we all live in them :-)

That's what happens: desperate to move out of our tiny third-floor
London flat once I couldn't get the pushchair down the stairs, we hit a
property boom: houses had gone before we ever got the particulars and
prices shot up every week, so we made an instant decision on the best we
could get under the circumstances. Thirty years and two more babies
later, here we still are. Though not the girls, of course: they've all
gone to live on south-facing, sunny hillsides. But until we retire there
seems to be no time to think about moving....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Klara 12-05-2005 03:20 PM

http://www.metcheck.com/

Tried 'drying time': well, no washing for me this week...
Could have a chilly BBQ on Friday, though.

Then I tried the 'rest of 2005' link, which turned out in fact to be
the next 12 months - and found nothing but rain, with just a few
isolated sunny periods - now, that would really depress me, if I
believed it....

Reality check on metcheck:

Wonderful drying weather all week so far ...

still waiting to find out about Friday's BBQ

but:

"Predictions of a scorching summer today prompted the Government to send
out a warning on how to cope in a heatwave.
The Met Office has issued an alert that temperatures in July and August
could match the 101F recorded in Kent in 2003.
Now the Department of Health says it will distribute leaflets telling
people how to keep cool and protect themselves from the sun."

I think I'll believe this one - after all, I'd rather be happy until the
forecast is proved wrong...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Sue Begg 12-05-2005 03:40 PM

In message , Klara
writes
http://www.metcheck.com/

[...]

Yup :-) a bit like horoscopes - if I read them and they are good - I am
a believer. If they are bad - it is all a load of codswallop :-))
Let's just be happy in anticipation. But maybe we should stockpile water
for when the water shortage inevitably happens !!
--
Sue Begg

Klara 12-05-2005 08:55 PM

In message , Sue Begg
writes
Let's just be happy in anticipation. But maybe we should stockpile
water for when the water shortage inevitably happens !!

Alas - on the news tonight they've already withdrawn the heatwave
forecast :-((

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

RichardS 13-05-2005 05:28 PM

"Klara" wrote in message
http://www.metcheck.com/

[...]

Yeah, but look at it this way - the pessimist is at worst proved right, but
in the normal run of things can only ever be pleasantly surprised!

As for the accuracy of long-term weather predictions, take them with a pinch
of salt (of the kind of size that would cause medical problems).

Weather is a "chaotic system", and one outcome of this is that you can
predict with a fair degree of accuracy for the short term (IIRC it's either
3 or 5 days that is the maximum reliable forecast), and also roughly
predictable in the long term (ie it will be "cold" this winter, "hot" next
summer, "cold" the next winter), but there is just no accuracy that can be
assigned to these long term forecasts. The chaotic bit comes in because
very tiny differences to the input parameters of the calculations can have
wildly disproportionate effect on the outcome of the prediction.

ISTR that the post-mortem that took place after the met office's failure to
predict the 1987 hurricanes resulted in a lot of interest in the chaotic
nature of weather (in the mathematical sense), so I'm surprised that the met
office still issue these highly specific long-term forecasts. I hope that
they do because of more reliable models, and it's not just pressure to
predict.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Kay 13-05-2005 06:36 PM

In article , RichardS
writes
"Klara" wrote in message
http://www.metcheck.com/

[...]

I have noticed that the pessimists of my acquaintance are generally
miserable whereas the optimists seem to lead much happier lives.

--
Kay

Chris J Dixon 13-05-2005 08:10 PM

Klara wrote:

"Predictions of a scorching summer today prompted the Government to send
out a warning on how to cope in a heatwave.
The Met Office has issued an alert that temperatures in July and August
could match the 101F recorded in Kent in 2003.
Now the Department of Health says it will distribute leaflets telling
people how to keep cool and protect themselves from the sun."

I think I'll believe this one - after all, I'd rather be happy until the
forecast is proved wrong...

However, their web sit now has this:

News release

Met Office clarifies summer forecast

Statements in this morning's media imply that the Met Office has forecast record-breaking temperatures this summer. This is not true. Advances in meteorology mean that the Met Office can now make three- or four-month forecasts that suggest whether a season will be warmer or colder and wetter or drier than normal. However, forecasters cannot predict actual daily temperatures more than a week or so in advance.

The latest seasonal forecast from the Met Office suggests that temperatures in July and August are likely to be above normal. There will undoubtedly be some hot days this summer but, at this stage, it is not possible to predict whether specific temperature thresholds will be reached. The seasonal forecast was used yesterday to launch the Department of Health's Heatwave Service, that will be backed by Met Office forecasts, which aims to protect lives during periods of hot weather. The Met Office will be issuing detailed temperature forecasts during the summer as and when necessary but within the timescales of our normal operational forecasts.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Nick Maclaren 13-05-2005 09:07 PM

In article ,
Kay wrote:

"Predictions of a scorching summer today prompted the Government to send
out a warning on how to cope in a heatwave.
The Met Office has issued an alert that temperatures in July and August
could match the 101F recorded in Kent in 2003.
Now the Department of Health says it will distribute leaflets telling
people how to keep cool and protect themselves from the sun."

Well, I hope that they will include some more science than their usual
crap. In particular, some advice based in the increasing evidence that
"sunscreen" creams are at least as likely to be part of the problem as
part of the solution.

Yeah, but look at it this way - the pessimist is at worst proved right, but
in the normal run of things can only ever be pleasantly surprised!

I have noticed that the pessimists of my acquaintance are generally
miserable whereas the optimists seem to lead much happier lives.

The thing that makes me (as a pessimist) so despondent is seeing
serious, avoidable problems coming, trying and failing to get the
idiot optimists to allow the avoiding action, and then having them
smugly say "well, it couldn't have been foreseen." Showing them
evidence that (a) I foresaw it, (b) I showed the predictions AND THE
SOLUTIONS to them, and (c) everything happened according exactly
as I predicted, gets the response "well, it's all your fault then,
for not succeeding in persuading us."

And, yes, my career has suffered very badly because I was proved
right. It would have been OK if I had been proved wrong, because
who gives a damn about an incompetent doomster, but a Cassandra or
Jeremiah needs persecution.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 13-05-2005 10:06 PM

The message

And, yes, my career has suffered very badly because I was proved
right. It would have been OK if I had been proved wrong, because
who gives a damn about an incompetent doomster, but a Cassandra or
Jeremiah needs persecution.

Ooooh, goody! Bundle! All onto Nick...

Mike Lyle 13-05-2005 11:00 PM

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message

And, yes, my career has suffered very badly because I was proved
right. It would have been OK if I had been proved wrong, because
who gives a damn about an incompetent doomster, but a Cassandra or
Jeremiah needs persecution.

Ooooh, goody! Bundle! All onto Nick...

Not what I mean by "bundle", I sincerely hope. Nick is now a member
of the club for those who found out that bosses prefer you to be
wrong: it's when you're right they get really threatened.

--
Mike.

Klara 14-05-2005 08:39 AM

In message , Kay
writes
Yeah, but look at it this way - the pessimist is at worst proved right, but
in the normal run of things can only ever be pleasantly surprised!

I have noticed that the pessimists of my acquaintance are generally
miserable whereas the optimists seem to lead much happier lives.

Having been both, I can vouch for this. After a lifetime of optimism, I
suddenly turned pessimist roughly with the millennium. Is this an age
thing?
The REALLY depressing part is that my friends tell me I'm not a
pessimist, only being realistic at long last!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Nick Maclaren 14-05-2005 09:46 AM

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message

And, yes, my career has suffered very badly because I was proved
right. It would have been OK if I had been proved wrong, because
who gives a damn about an incompetent doomster, but a Cassandra or
Jeremiah needs persecution.

Ooooh, goody! Bundle! All onto Nick...

Not what I mean by "bundle", I sincerely hope. Nick is now a member
of the club for those who found out that bosses prefer you to be
wrong: it's when you're right they get really threatened.

Who knows? It might be the sort of thing that turns me on!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 14-05-2005 11:46 AM

The message
In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from
(Nick Maclaren) contains these words:

And, yes, my career has suffered very badly because I was proved
right. It would have been OK if I had been proved wrong, because
who gives a damn about an incompetent doomster, but a Cassandra or
Jeremiah needs persecution.

Ooooh, goody! Bundle! All onto Nick...

Not what I mean by "bundle", I sincerely hope. Nick is now a member
of the club for those who found out that bosses prefer you to be
wrong: it's when you're right they get really threatened.

Who knows? It might be the sort of thing that turns me on!

Ah, the eternal optimist...

Antony Cook 07-06-2011 04:28 PM

How about ColdSnap! Frost Alarm for Android ? ;-)

I ran into similar trouble and couldn't find anything that really worked...so I developed my own !

I'm afraid its only for Android Mobile phones, as that's the extent of my developer skills...

It just runs silently in the background until a temperature is forecast below a set level, then pops up a notification in the notification bar. It'll also restart if you restart the phone...so given we're now verging on summer, you can still intsall and forget about it for a few months without worrying that it'll still be checking in the background for that innevitable frost ! (or wierd freak of weather...who knows...)

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

it's 99p so cheaper than a pack of Burpless Tasty

any feedback welcome.
Ant.