Old 08-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Rupert

Default Lilly beetles

Just found three of these bright red things chomping away on fritillarias
and my yet to flower cardocriniums.
I Live between Leeds and Bradford and I thought these things were a more
Southern feature.

What is the life cycle of these beasts and the best way of control

Old 08-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Robert

:
: What is the life cycle of these beasts and the best way of control
:
I will be glad of the answer too as I have them for the first time

Old 08-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Bob Hobden

"Rupert" wrote
Just found three of these bright red things chomping away on fritillarias
and my yet to flower cardocriniums.
I Live between Leeds and Bradford and I thought these things were a more
Southern feature.

What is the life cycle of these beasts and the best way of control

You can either use a systemic insecticide or do a daily check and pull off
and squash any you find. Your call. Miss a day and you could lose the lot as
without leaves the plant cannot make food to store for next year.
The larvae also eat lilies etc and cover themselves in their own excreta so
look rather like a bird dropping.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 08-05-2005, 09:04 PM

"Rupert" writes:

Just found three of these bright red things chomping away on fritillarias
and my yet to flower cardocriniums.

Regular inspection and two bricks works well for control. Don't catch
your fingers between the bricks.

Anthony

Old 08-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Tumbleweed

"Rupert" wrote in message
Just found three of these bright red things chomping away on fritillarias
and my yet to flower cardocriniums.
I Live between Leeds and Bradford and I thought these things were a more
Southern feature.

What is the life cycle of these beasts and the best way of control

I killed a lot last year with ordinary fly spray (first time I'd seen them
in this area), plus just removing and squashing any I saw. FWIW some lilies
that were severely hit (almost no leaves left) seem to be growing well this
year anyway.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 09-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Rupert

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Just found three of these bright red things chomping away on fritillarias
and my yet to flower cardocriniums.
I Live between Leeds and Bradford and I thought these things were a more
Southern feature.

Leeds and Bradford are a more southern feature, has nobody told them?

Janet (Scotland)

Sorry I didn't mean to exclude foreign countries

Germinating Canna Lilly Seed Larry Stoter United Kingdom 7 01-08-2005 12:00 PM
lilly leaf beetles pitchie Gardening 0 06-07-2005 06:58 PM
Pygmaea Lilly not Flowering larrys United Kingdom 13 22-08-2003 09:32 AM
November Lilly realestatelogic.com.au Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
UK lILLY REQUEST K Ponds (alternative) 0 23-03-2003 04:20 PM