Old 09-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Pam Moore

Default Clematis gunge

My daughter is developing a really lovely garden, in which everything
seems to be doing well. (Gloucestershire)
However, a clematis montana which she planted 2 years ago to cover a
shed, started off well this year and then gradually died back. This
weekend she decided to remove it. She found that the bottom 12 inches
of the stem was covered in "gunge". She described it as "snotty", I
more politely said it looked like thick creamy wallpaper paste. It was
definitely oozing out of the stem, not deposited on it.
1. What is it? I've never heard of c. wilt causing this.
2. Can she replant if she removes some soil?
3. Is it worth sterilsing the soil with Armillatox or something?
She's waiting for the expert advice I said Urglers would come up with!
TIA

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Emrys Davies

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
My daughter is developing a really lovely garden, in which everything
seems to be doing well. (Gloucestershire)
However, a clematis montana which she planted 2 years ago to cover a
shed, started off well this year and then gradually died back. This
weekend she decided to remove it. She found that the bottom 12 inches
of the stem was covered in "gunge". She described it as "snotty", I
more politely said it looked like thick creamy wallpaper paste. It was
definitely oozing out of the stem, not deposited on it.
1. What is it? I've never heard of c. wilt causing this.
2. Can she replant if she removes some soil?
3. Is it worth sterilsing the soil with Armillatox or something?
She's waiting for the expert advice I said Urglers would come up with!
TIA

Pam in Bristol

Crown gall can infect clematis. These sites describe it and show
photos. of it. Are there similarities?

http://www.ipm.uiuc.edu/diseases/series1000/rpd1006/

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/tfipm/crowngall.htm

http://grapes.msu.edu/crowngall.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 9 May 2005 18:45:32 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

No, Emrys, but thanks. I don't think it's that. There are no growths
such as indicated on that site. Just this horrible mucus-like gunge on
the bottom 12 inches of stem.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-05-2005, 10:18 PM
andrewpreece

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 May 2005 18:45:32 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Clematis Flux I think it is called. Cut it back and it should regrow. It is
bacterial.
My only doubt over it is that I thought Clematis Flux issued forth from the
end
of a stem, I didn't know that it spread all along a stem.

Andy.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 9 May 2005 22:18:40 +0100, "andrewpreece"
wrote:

Clematis Flux I think it is called. Cut it back and it should regrow. It is
bacterial.
My only doubt over it is that I thought Clematis Flux issued forth from the
end
of a stem, I didn't know that it spread all along a stem.

Andrew, many thanks.
I looked it up and it does seem exactly described under Clematis Flux
on this page. I've never heard of it.
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/plantf...lematis_25.asp

Pam in Bristol

Old 09-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Phil L

Pam Moore wrote:
:: On Mon, 9 May 2005 22:18:40 +0100, "andrewpreece"
:: wrote:
::
::: Clematis Flux I think it is called. Cut it back and it should
::: regrow. It is bacterial.
::: My only doubt over it is that I thought Clematis Flux issued
::: forth from the end
::: of a stem, I didn't know that it spread all along a stem.
::
:: Andrew, many thanks.
:: I looked it up and it does seem exactly described under Clematis
:: Flux on this page. I've never heard of it.
:: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/plantf...lematis_25.asp
::

There's a bit about it here too, and a small pictu
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...slime_flux.asp

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 09 May 2005 22:13:48 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
:: On Mon, 9 May 2005 22:18:40 +0100, "andrewpreece"
:: wrote:
::
::: Clematis Flux I think it is called. Cut it back and it should
::: regrow. It is bacterial.
::: My only doubt over it is that I thought Clematis Flux issued
::: forth from the end
::: of a stem, I didn't know that it spread all along a stem.
::
:: Andrew, many thanks.
:: I looked it up and it does seem exactly described under Clematis
:: Flux on this page. I've never heard of it.
:: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/plantf...lematis_25.asp
::

There's a bit about it here too, and a small pictu
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...slime_flux.asp

Thank you folks!
That's it. The plant is already removed, as the slime was right down
to soil level. I told my daughter you'd come up trumps!

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Registered User

It's more commonly known as "slime flux", I lost a "Triterinata Rubramarginata" to it last year. Have since replanted and all is well thus far.