Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Ceri Davies

Default Apple variety recommendation

I'm planning my long-term strategy for my plot and am looking at apple
trees. My favourite shop bought variety is the Braeburn (at least
that's how they are marked); could anyone recommend a variety to grow
(and a good supplier)?

Thanks,

Ceri
not sure about the former. -- Einstein (attrib.)
Old 10-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Ceri Davies contains these words:

I'm planning my long-term strategy for my plot and am looking at apple
trees. My favourite shop bought variety is the Braeburn (at least
that's how they are marked); could anyone recommend a variety to grow
(and a good supplier)?

Charles Ross - very large apple which can be used as an eater or a cooker.
Bramley
Codling (various varieties of) Cookers, very fluffy pulp.
Blenheim?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-05-2005, 07:14 PM
shazzbat

"Ceri Davies" wrote in message
I'm planning my long-term strategy for my plot and am looking at apple
trees. My favourite shop bought variety is the Braeburn (at least
that's how they are marked); could anyone recommend a variety to grow
(and a good supplier)?

Thanks,

Ceri

Where do you live? Braeburn, I'm told, is only just becoming viable to grow
in UK due to climate change, and can only just about be grown in the south.
Presumably this will creep northwards according to rate of change.

Steve

Old 10-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Brian

"Ceri Davies" wrote in message
I'm planning my long-term strategy for my plot and am looking at apple
trees. My favourite shop bought variety is the Braeburn (at least
that's how they are marked); could anyone recommend a variety to grow
(and a good supplier)?

Thanks,

Ceri
not sure about the former. -- Einstein (attrib.)

_____________________
To give you a considered answer would depend on where you live. Very few
apples will thrive throughout Britain.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 11-05-2005, 02:41 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Ceri Davies wrote:
I'm planning my long-term strategy for my plot and am looking at apple
trees. My favourite shop bought variety is the Braeburn (at least
that's how they are marked); could anyone recommend a variety to grow
(and a good supplier)?

Thanks,

Ceri

A quick Google turned up
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...r_2b_apple.asp.

I love the names of apple varieties - I think they're fascinating.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Ceri Davies

On 2005-05-10, shazzbat wrote:

"Ceri Davies" wrote in message
I'm planning my long-term strategy for my plot and am looking at apple
trees. My favourite shop bought variety is the Braeburn (at least
that's how they are marked); could anyone recommend a variety to grow
(and a good supplier)?

Where do you live? Braeburn, I'm told, is only just becoming viable to grow
in UK due to climate change, and can only just about be grown in the south.
Presumably this will creep northwards according to rate of change.

[Choosing a response at random...]

I live in Cardiff, but I'm not particularly concerned about getting
Braeburn, but something similar enough

Old 11-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Brian

On 2005-05-10, shazzbat wrote:

"Ceri Davies" wrote in message
I'm planning my long-term strategy for my plot and am looking at apple
trees. My favourite shop bought variety is the Braeburn (at least
that's how they are marked); could anyone recommend a variety to grow
(and a good supplier)?

Where do you live? Braeburn, I'm told, is only just becoming viable to

grow
in UK due to climate change, and can only just about be grown in the

south.
Presumably this will creep northwards according to rate of change.

[Choosing a response at random...]

I live in Cardiff, but I'm not particularly concerned about getting
Braeburn, but something similar enough

Ceri
not sure about the former. -- Einstein (attrib.)

Two apples that I have found to thrive well are Discovery as an
early dessert and Grenadier as a cooker.
Both can be used from the tree from mid-August and are not prone
[unduly] to disease.
Best Wishes Brian.