Old 10-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Nicholas

Default Last frost in May. When to start sowing veg?

Hi

We have a very late season here in Buxton and can have frosts up to
the beginning of May.

When would you recommend sowing all the usual veg? I'm thinking of
Toms, Courgettes, Peas, Potatoes, Cucumber, Onion (seed), Sprouts,
Lettuce etc etc etc.

I have several heated propagators in the house and a large polytunnel
in the garden.

TIA

Nicholas
Old 10-02-2003, 06:38 PM
Beachcomber

You want to see when the small annual weeds start growing, that gives a clue
that the soil is warming up. Don't go by the dates on the packets
In my area, Plymouth, it is quite mild.

I plant potatoes in March and onion sets in March or April. Seeds should be
in trays by now
and sow: Sprouts and leeks in March in pots outdoors for transplanting
later
Cabbage, curly greens, purple sprouting in April in pots
etc
Courgettes and sweetcorn indoors in early April
Peas in April outdoors
Lettuce, well with your facilities you can grow them
nearly all year but I sow outdoors in succession from March or April
Parsnips in March or April, don't be fooled by people
saying sow in Feb (Would you germinate in Feb! lol)
White turnip when the ground warms up a bit for quick
tender growth
Runner Beans in pots as above, in April for May planting
out

Really you have to suck it and see as my boss says

Nicholas wrote:
: Hi
:

--
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/campaign/cut...aq.html#action

Old 10-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Nicholas
writes
Hi

We have a very late season here in Buxton and can have frosts up to
the beginning of May.

When would you recommend sowing all the usual veg? I'm thinking of
Toms, Courgettes, Peas, Potatoes, Cucumber, Onion (seed), Sprouts,
Lettuce etc etc etc.

I have several heated propagators in the house and a large polytunnel
in the garden.

Those are rather a lot to cover in one mailing but if you'd like to have
a look at the urg vegetable FAQ at:
http://www.fuchsiazone.co.uk/veg-index/vegindex.htm
you'll find lots of details about them all there, then further questions
will be welcome here in the group. Best wishes.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Start of May Dave Hill United Kingdom 10 08-05-2012 05:31 PM
Recap of last year to start Thursday for newbies benefit! Koi-Lo Ponds 16 26-04-2006 05:38 PM
Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
Last Frost B & J Gardening 2 29-04-2003 09:44 PM