Old 14-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Mushrooms and Other Fungi of Great Britain and Europe by Roger
Phillips, Macmillan, ISBN 0 330 26441 9

Well worth buying, and it's not too dear.

The Collins _Gem Guide_ is cheap and clear: probably good enough for
most of us.

I've got the Collins Guide to Mushrooms and Toadstools, and it lists one
very poisonous species as edible (Paxillus involutus), and another with
a warning that 'some people' may find it poisonous or even deadly,
following that with the coment that it is widely eaten after special
treatment.

The illustrations are pretty-well useless, too.

I've not met the Collins Gem Guide book. No doubt I shall, as I've quite
a collection of boks on fungi, and it's mushrooming...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Depends, I suppose, on whether you're planning to eat what you find. If
I'm eating a mushroom that I haven't tried before, I like to check the
identification in at least two books. I use Marcel Bon 'Mushrooms and
toadstools of britain and NW Europe' for drawings and keys, and Phillips
for photos.

If you get a chance, have a look at Wayside and Woodland Fungi (Warne)
by W.P.K.Findlay, and illustrated (posthumously) with drawings and
paintings done early in life, by Beatrix Potter, and by two other
artists.

I was lucky enough to get it for £14.50 - a first reprint (1978). If you
come across a first edition/impression of 1967 for a reasonable price,
snap it up.

Old 14-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the warning. I can't check at present, as most of my books
are in boxes. The Gem series is, I think, produced separately from
the Field Guides, and may have better info on mycoedibility. They
seem to be remarkably good (certainly wipe the floor with the old
Observer's Books, which mostly have only sentimental value now). The
flowers one is too brief for me, but the European mammals suits me
down to the ground: it even has whales.

I'm told the illustrations in the Gem fishes are a knock-out, but
it's out of print, and they told me a few years ago that they didn't
plan to reissue it -- so, **if anybody spots one at a sensible price,
I'd be very grateful to buy it from them**.

--
Mike.

Old 14-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

I'm told the illustrations in the Gem fishes are a knock-out, but
it's out of print, and they told me a few years ago that they didn't
plan to reissue it -- so, **if anybody spots one at a sensible price,
I'd be very grateful to buy it from them**.

I'll keep my eye out - for two...

Old 14-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message