Old 10-05-2005, 11:19 PM
NikV

Default Rude awakening - lawn holes

I've noticed a few odd holes in my close cropped lawn over the past few
days. This morning I was woken up to a large (50+) flock of starlings
probing the lawn, upon closer inspection large areas of the lawn appeared to
have sprouted 30mm high spikes (3-4mm diameter) which appear to be
crysalis(sp?) cases no sign of the emerged 'imago', are these mayfiles???
and do they 'hatch' in large numbers together or has some enviromental
factor triggered this??

Nik

Old 10-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Rupert

"NikV" wrote in message
I've noticed a few odd holes in my close cropped lawn over the past few
days. This morning I was woken up to a large (50+) flock of starlings
probing the lawn, upon closer inspection large areas of the lawn appeared
to have sprouted 30mm high spikes (3-4mm diameter) which appear to be
crysalis(sp?) cases no sign of the emerged 'imago', are these mayfiles???
and do they 'hatch' in large numbers together or has some enviromental
factor triggered this??

Nik

Crane flies --see this
http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th6g.htm

Old 11-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "NikV" contains these words:

I've noticed a few odd holes in my close cropped lawn over the past few
days. This morning I was woken up to a large (50+) flock of starlings
probing the lawn, upon closer inspection large areas of the lawn
appeared to
have sprouted 30mm high spikes (3-4mm diameter) which appear to be
crysalis(sp?) cases no sign of the emerged 'imago', are these mayfiles???
and do they 'hatch' in large numbers together or has some enviromental
factor triggered this??

The starlings are doing you a favour and ridding you of leatherjackets
and their pupae. They munch on grass roots.

They're daddy-long-legs / crane flies. Mayflies hatch from water: aka
caddis fly, the grubs make a protective jacket of débris and carry it
about. May be of grass, reed, and twig detritus, or small pebbles and
bits of shell.

I used to catch loads of them when I was an anklebiter, to observe in a
goldfish bowl. (The grubs, not me.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]

They're daddy-long-legs / crane flies. Mayflies hatch from water:

aka
caddis fly, the grubs make a protective jacket of débris and carry

it
about. May be of grass, reed, and twig detritus, or small pebbles

and
bits of shell.

[...]

Some people call caddis "mayflies", but it would mislead a fisherman.

--
Mike.

Old 11-05-2005, 07:57 PM
NikV

The starlings are doing you a favour and ridding you of leatherjackets
and their pupae. They munch on grass roots.

They're daddy-long-legs / crane flies. Mayflies hatch from water: aka
caddis fly, the grubs make a protective jacket of débris and carry it
about. May be of grass, reed, and twig detritus, or small pebbles and
bits of shell.

Cheers thanx for the replies.

Got my three year old putting a pinch of grass seed and filling with sand
from sand pit - there are hundreds/thousands of holes - trouble is hes a bit
heavy handed and I came home to find a lawn dotted with piles of sand (and
some seed) LOL

Why the synchronised emergence??? Did not see any this morning at all

Nik

Old 11-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Mike Lyle

NikV wrote:
The starlings are doing you a favour and ridding you of
leatherjackets and their pupae. They munch on grass roots.

They're daddy-long-legs / crane flies. Mayflies hatch from water:

aka
caddis fly, the grubs make a protective jacket of débris and carry

it
about. May be of grass, reed, and twig detritus, or small pebbles

and
bits of shell.

Cheers thanx for the replies.

Got my three year old putting a pinch of grass seed and filling

with
sand from sand pit - there are hundreds/thousands of holes -

trouble
is hes a bit heavy handed and I came home to find a lawn dotted

with
piles of sand (and some seed) LOL

Glad you can hang on to your sense of humour: after all, your lawn
will still be there long after the youngster's stopped being an
entertaining three-year-old!

Why the synchronised emergence??? Did not see any this morning at

all

They lay their eggs, and the kids hatch out, when conditions are
right. I don't know if this is the last you'll see of them this year,
or if there'll be another wave later on. (My favourites are those
American things which only hatch out every (?) thirteen and seventeen
years, but when they do, they really go for it: US Internet
acquaintances had some lovely pictures earlier on. Sometimes I think
the UK gardener's life is almost boringly easy.)

--
Mike.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]

They're daddy-long-legs / crane flies. Mayflies hatch from water:

aka
caddis fly, the grubs make a protective jacket of débris and carry

it
about. May be of grass, reed, and twig detritus, or small pebbles

and
bits of shell.

[...]

Some people call caddis "mayflies", but it would mislead a fisherman.

Caddis flies = mayflies.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "NikV" contains these words:

The starlings are doing you a favour and ridding you of leatherjackets
and their pupae. They munch on grass roots.

They're daddy-long-legs / crane flies. Mayflies hatch from water: aka
caddis fly, the grubs make a protective jacket of débris and carry it
about. May be of grass, reed, and twig detritus, or small pebbles and
bits of shell.

Cheers thanx for the replies.

Got my three year old putting a pinch of grass seed and filling with sand
from sand pit - there are hundreds/thousands of holes - trouble is hes
a bit
heavy handed and I came home to find a lawn dotted with piles of sand (and
some seed) LOL

Why the synchronised emergence??? Did not see any this morning at all

Could it be that the starlings were doing the 'emerging'?

Old 12-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

They lay their eggs, and the kids hatch out, when conditions are
right. I don't know if this is the last you'll see of them this year,
or if there'll be another wave later on. (My favourites are those
American things which only hatch out every (?) thirteen and seventeen
years, but when they do, they really go for it:

Cicadas?

US Internet
acquaintances had some lovely pictures earlier on. Sometimes I think
the UK gardener's life is almost boringly easy.)

Fancy half a hundredweight of slugs and twice that amount of snails?

(Bring your own bucket.)

Old 12-05-2005, 06:18 AM
sarah

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]

They're daddy-long-legs / crane flies. Mayflies hatch from water:

aka
caddis fly, the grubs make a protective jacket of débris and carry

it
about. May be of grass, reed, and twig detritus, or small pebbles

and
bits of shell.

[...]

Some people call caddis "mayflies", but it would mislead a fisherman.

Caddis flies = mayflies.

Not to biologists :-) Caddis flies are members of the Order Trichoptera;
mayflies are Ephemeroptera. Quite different.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Paul D.Smith

Sand from the sand pit is probably far to fine. I'd buy the little fellow
some sharp sand.

Paul DS.