Old 12-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

Right, I must have been mistaking Frinton with Clacton, or something :-)

They're practically next-door to each-other. You're not thinking of
Southend, are you?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Tone contains these words:
On Thu, 12 May 2005 04:04:37 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

/snip/

My .177 pellet air gun does a fine job at 1000feet per second
velocity....

1000Fps ???

At 12ft/lbs ???
What airgun is that then ?????

No problem.

1,000 fps isn't fast - well subsonic. The MV of one of my rifles
(11·15mm) is 1,437 fps, and that's considered to be rather slow.

The ·17 Remington round has a (maximum) MV of 4,035 fps, and I believe
the new ·177 round is quicker still.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Jupiter

On Thu, 12 May 2005 10:45:37 +0100, bigboard
wrote:

BAC wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

Assuming he meant The Netherlands and not East Anglia?

Is Lincolnshire (Lindsey, Kesteven and Holland) in East Anglia?

Dunno, but there's a Holland in Essex, between Clacton and Frinton.

Next question, is all of Essex classed as East Anglia?

I think it was historically. Parts of it are now part of Greater London.

However, I have disowned all of Essex south of Chelmsford, and am currently
fighting as part of a revolutionary cell to win independence for North
Essex. Most of us in the North of the county usually reply rather vaguely
when asked where we are from as being from "the Essex/Suffolk borders".
North and south Essex are as alike as Glasgow and Kuala Lumpur.

So to stop ranting and answer your question: No, but part of it is!

Cede the nice parts like Saffron Walden to Suffolk and be done with
it. Leave the rest for the tight jeans and white stilettos.

(Hertfordshire Resident...)

Old 12-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

My .177 pellet air gun does a fine job at 1000feet per second
velocity....

1000Fps ???

At 12ft/lbs ???
What airgun is that then ?????

A Gammo...made in Spain....does a super job....accurate as all can be...HW

I think that you should rerear your own post, and recheck both your
facts and the speed of sound at sea level. Our Tone seems to be a
bit more on the ball than the other Tone we keep hearing about - and
from :-(

1000 fps is correct

I reread my post, decided to check my facts, and cancelled it :-)

Unfortunately, Usenet is not good at that. I still can't make all
the figures add up, as I am pretty certain that 350 fps was touted
as the maximum velocity for a 0.22 air rifle when I bought mine.
That is under a quarter of the energy of yours (and pretty damn
inaccurate).

One thing to do is to check what those idiots mean by foot-pounds,
because there are at least three obvious meanings, and doubtless
others known only to legislators. Remember BHP?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Harold Walker

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

[...]

As I remember from my poaching days back in the early 50's and my BSA 0.22
air rifle the 350 sounds like the right number.....typically the O.22 is a
slower speed than the .177 ...a lot of the more recent models have a higher
velocity than those back in the 50's...........H
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

As I remember from my poaching days back in the early 50's and my BSA 0.22
air rifle the 350 sounds like the right number.....typically the O.22 is a
slower speed than the .177 ...a lot of the more recent models have a higher
velocity than those back in the 50's...........H

If I recall, it was stated that the maximum legal muzzle velocity of
a .177 was 500/550 fps, which matches 350 for a .22. What I don't
understand is why it should be higher now.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Harold Walker

Harold Walker wrote:

As I remember from my poaching days back in the early 50's and my BSA
0.22
air rifle the 350 sounds like the right number.....typically the O.22 is a
slower speed than the .177 ...a lot of the more recent models have a
higher
velocity than those back in the 50's...........H

If I recall, it was stated that the maximum legal muzzle velocity of
a .177 was 500/550 fps, which matches 350 for a .22. What I don't
understand is why it should be higher now.

Your numbers are correct Nick for some of the older guns....we have no limit
on the power of airguns over here....the 0.22 model made by the company is
higher than the 350....it is around 700fps....the compression spring on the
one I have is more powerful than the one to which you refer at
550fps...........H
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Clive in Kent

Many thanks, guys, for all the replies and suggestions (especially the
yummy recipe!). Never anticipated such a huge response!

Just to address a couple of points:
a) I'm not a total novice to air-guns, just a little "rusty". Used to use
one to shoot rats and other vermin on my uncle's farm when a teenager, many
years ago!

b) Not looking to exterminate the entire wildlife population to protect my
plants. I'm looking to get rid of the pigeons and squirrels who are taking
up all the "goodies" I leave out for the blackbirds, sparrows, tits and
other various, very welcome and non verminous wildbirds that visit. I have a
huge wood at the bottom of my garden full of said pigeons and squirrels and
would rather them stay there than start infesting my garden and eventually
my house! If you've ever had a squirrel in your roofspace you know what I'm
talking about!

Clive in Kent

Old 13-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Harold Walker

wrote:

/snip/

My .177 pellet air gun does a fine job at 1000feet per second
velocity....

1000Fps ???

At 12ft/lbs ???
What airgun is that then ?????

No problem.

1,000 fps isn't fast - well subsonic. The MV of one of my rifles
(11·15mm) is 1,437 fps, and that's considered to be rather slow.

The ·17 Remington round has a (maximum) MV of 4,035 fps, and I believe
the new ·177 round is quicker still.

Me thinks we are talking apples versus oranges......1000fps for an air gun
is quite fast....yes, a tad below supersonic but still fast enough to give
very little warning to the recipient at air gun range. Pray tell me, what
model air gun gives a mv of greater than 4k fps....H

Old 13-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Harold Walker

"Clive in Kent @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message
[...]

Better than bats on one's belfrey......altho the quirrels are a bluddy pest
they can be quite interesting with their habits...we have loads of fun
watching them....we too have woods at the bottom of our garden....the little
red squirrels are darlings to watch....almost as fun to watch as the
chipmunks....both take peanuts from our hands or laps.....oh, by no means am
I against shooting unwanted invaders...am an old hand with a gun....used to
be a qualified marksman in the Royal Navy.....still like to practice with my
favorite being rabbits and groundhogs which are worse for the garden than a
whole bunch of crows or squirrels or what have you..........H

Old 13-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Chris Bacon

Harold Walker wrote:
"Tone" wrote...
"Harold Walker" wrote:
My .177 pellet air gun does a fine job at 1000feet per second
velocity....

1000Fps ??? At 12ft/lbs ??? What airgun is that then ?????

A Gammo...made in Spain....does a super job....accurate as all can be...

But surely you're not in the U.K.? My .22 RF shoots a (subsonic)
bullet at about that speed (depending on ammunition).
Old 13-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Mike Lyle

Harold Walker wrote:
[...]
....the little red squirrels are darlings to watch....almost as
fun to watch as the chipmunks....[...]

Ah, lucky man! I doubt if as many as half the people of GB have ever
_seen_ a red squirrel: the N American grey squirrel has taken over
(maybe since you were here last?), and they're the ones people are
getting worked up about.

There was a small population of chipmunks in Britain for a while,
escaped from somewhere; but they've died out. Groundhogs, thank
goodness, haven't got a foothold.

--
Mike.

Old 13-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Chris Bacon writes:

| 1000Fps ??? At 12ft/lbs ??? What airgun is that then ?????
|
| A Gammo...made in Spain....does a super job....accurate as all can be...
|
| But surely you're not in the U.K.? My .22 RF shoots a (subsonic)
| bullet at about that speed (depending on ammunition).

That's .22 short, I assume? .22 long is almost always supersonic.
The difference other than speed between .22 firearms and .22 air
rifles are that the bullet is c. 7 times heavier than the pellet,
so a .22 bullet carries c. 14 times the energy of a .177 pellet at
the same speed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Harold Walker

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Harold Walker wrote:
"Tone" wrote...
"Harold Walker" wrote:
My .177 pellet air gun does a fine job at 1000feet per second
velocity....

1000Fps ??? At 12ft/lbs ??? What airgun is that then ?????

A Gammo...made in Spain....does a super job....accurate as all can be...

But surely you're not in the U.K.? My .22 RF shoots a (subsonic)
bullet at about that speed (depending on ammunition).

A renegade Yorkshire guy living on Cape cod. USA

Old 13-05-2005, 10:32 AM
BAC

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

Right, I must have been mistaking Frinton with Clacton, or something :-)

They're practically next-door to each-other. You're not thinking of
Southend, are you?

Quite possibly - I haven't visited that coastline for decades :-)