GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hebe - Pruning (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9398-hebe-pruning.html)

Jack 11-02-2003 01:29 AM

Hebe - Pruning

I have a hebe (Autumn Beauty I think) which has become lanky and has no
leaves at its base. It does have lots of leaves at the top and loads of
flowers in late summer/autumn. Also, the plant is flopping over my lawn and
has killed the grass beneath it.

So, it looks like this plant needs a severe cutting back. Will it grow back
if I cut it really hard? Will I lose this year's flowers? When should I
actually cut it back?

Thanks.

Rufus 11-02-2003 09:23 AM

Hebe - Pruning

"Jack" wrote in a message:
I have a hebe (Autumn Beauty I think) which has become lanky and has no
leaves at its base. It does have lots of leaves at the top and loads of
flowers in late summer/autumn. Also, the plant is flopping over my lawn

and
has killed the grass beneath it.

So, it looks like this plant needs a severe cutting back. Will it grow

back
if I cut it really hard? Will I lose this year's flowers? When should I
actually cut it back?

Jack, as your hebe has grown lanky, you should cut it hard back in April
there-by encouraging new shoots to grow from the base. Do you remember to
dead-head after it has flowered?

Rufus