Old 13-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Chris Bacon

Default Horsetail.

I saw a remarkable patch at the roadside last year, with very large
stems - probably around 2' (600mm) long. Are there several sorts of
horse tail, or was this just ordinary stuff doing rather better than
the 1' stems I normally see? I'm keeping an eye on it to see what
happens this year, and it certainly seems to be doing well again!
Old 13-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Kay

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
I saw a remarkable patch at the roadside last year, with very large
stems - probably around 2' (600mm) long. Are there several sorts of
horse tail, or was this just ordinary stuff doing rather better than
the 1' stems I normally see? I'm keeping an eye on it to see what
happens this year, and it certainly seems to be doing well again!

There's several species of horsetail which grow in the UK. But it might
still just have been some more vigorous stems of the usual stuff.
--
Kay

Old 13-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:
In article , Chris Bacon
writes

I saw a remarkable patch at the roadside last year, with very large
stems - probably around 2' (600mm) long. Are there several sorts of
horse tail, or was this just ordinary stuff doing rather better than
the 1' stems I normally see? I'm keeping an eye on it to see what
happens this year, and it certainly seems to be doing well again!

There's several species of horsetail which grow in the UK. But it might
still just have been some more vigorous stems of the usual stuff.

Horsetails have only one use that I know of - in an area where there are
gold salts in the soil, they will take them up, and if you burn large
quantities of them, the gold can be worth recovering.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Phil L

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
:: The message
:: from Kay contains these words:
::: In article , Chris Bacon
::: writes
::
[...]

That's not their only use, they are anodyne, antihaemorrhagic, antiseptic,
astringent, carminative, diaphoretic, diuretic, galactogogue, haemostatic
and vulnerary.
It helps speed the repair of damaged connective tissue, improving its
strength and elasticity.
The plant is a useful diuretic when taken internally and is used in the
treatment of kidney and bladder problems, cystitis, urethritis, prostate
disease and internal bleeding.
The stems contain 10% silica and are used for scouring metal and as a fine
sandpaper. They can also be used as a polish for brass, hardwood etc. The
infused stem is an effective fungicide against mildew, mint rust and
blackspot on roses.
A homeopathic remedy is made from the fresh plant. It is used in the
treatment of cystitis and other complaints of the urinary system, it also
contains equisetic acid, which is thought to be identical to aconitic acid.
This substance is a potent heart and nerve sedative that is a dangerous
poison when taken in high doses.

Other than that it's pretty useless.
:-p

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 13-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

Other than that it's pretty useless.
:-p

Hmmm. Must cultivate a patch...

Old 13-05-2005, 09:11 PM
roger.ty

not horsetail wild asparagus! sounds better.
"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
I saw a remarkable patch at the roadside last year, with very large
stems - probably around 2' (600mm) long. Are there several sorts of
horse tail, or was this just ordinary stuff doing rather better than
the 1' stems I normally see? I'm keeping an eye on it to see what
happens this year, and it certainly seems to be doing well again!

It has removed 408 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Old 14-05-2005, 04:26 PM
david taylor

We've had many communications on horsetail, particularly because it is
impossible to eliminate. It must be sensitive to growing
conditions/competition from other plants otherwise it would take over the
country.
Can anyone put any definition as to its preferences or vulnerabilities?
k...

Old 14-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
david taylor wrote:
We've had many communications on horsetail, particularly because it is
impossible to eliminate. It must be sensitive to growing
conditions/competition from other plants otherwise it would take over the
country.
Can anyone put any definition as to its preferences or vulnerabilities?

"It"? There are a fair number of species native to the UK. Generally,
damp soils where they can get their roots down, but the common horsetail
is pretty widespread. I don't know why it only rarely becomes an
invasive plant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-05-2005, 08:33 PM
pammyT

Phil L wrote:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]

I used to boil it up, strain and bottle and use as a final rince on my hair.
It strengthens and adds a really nice shine to it.

--
purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

Old 14-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Bob Hobden

"Nick Maclaren" wrote .after..
david taylor wrote:
We've had many communications on horsetail, particularly because it is
impossible to eliminate. It must be sensitive to growing
conditions/competition from other plants otherwise it would take over the
country.
Can anyone put any definition as to its preferences or vulnerabilities?

"It"? There are a fair number of species native to the UK. Generally,
damp soils where they can get their roots down, but the common horsetail
is pretty widespread. I don't know why it only rarely becomes an
invasive plant.

On our old allotment site it moved across in a wave, very thick at the front
and after it passed we are left with just a few which hoe off easily
reducing them even more. I've seen the same thing on our local railway line,
a very prolific wave front moving slowly along and then just a few left
behind, and I wonder if they will eventually die out until the next
infestation.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 15-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote .after..
david taylor wrote:
[...]

That sounds interesting. I've never had much to do with these plants,
and thought they were fixtures like most others. I wonder if they
eventually exhaust the soil of some nutrient which isn't quickly
replaced by natural processes, and so have to move constantly onward.
Could the plants' high silica content in some way have a bearing on
this? Or is there some complex mycorrhizal association which can
peter out in less than perfect conditions?

(A moment of horror on GW the other night, when some proud
nurserywoman presented her lovely aquatic horsetail; I hope it can't
grow out of water!)

--
Mike.

Old 15-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

That sounds interesting. I've never had much to do with these plants,
and thought they were fixtures like most others. I wonder if they
eventually exhaust the soil of some nutrient which isn't quickly
replaced by natural processes, and so have to move constantly onward.
Could the plants' high silica content in some way have a bearing on
this? Or is there some complex mycorrhizal association which can
peter out in less than perfect conditions?

They don't seem to tolerate constant removal of top growth - eg regular
lawn mowing.
--
Kay

Old 16-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Des Higgins

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote .after..
david taylor wrote:
[...]

Those are harmless and very pretty. The terrestrial/triffid ones are a
different species.
I get a similar feeling when I see variegated ground elder for sale in
nurseries. Apparently it is well behaved and fairly safe but it still looks
a bit scary.

Des

--
Mike.

Old 16-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Des Higgins

"david taylor" wrote in message
We've had many communications on horsetail, particularly because it is
impossible to eliminate. It must be sensitive to growing
conditions/competition from other plants otherwise it would take over the
country.
Can anyone put any definition as to its preferences or vulnerabilities?
"roger.ty" wrote in message
k...
not horsetail wild asparagus! sounds better.
"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
I saw a remarkable patch at the roadside last year, with very large
stems - probably around 2' (600mm) long. Are there several sorts of
horse tail, or was this just ordinary stuff doing rather better than
the 1' stems I normally see? I'm keeping an eye on it to see what
happens this year, and it certainly seems to be doing well again!

There is a large species called Equisetum talmateia (cannot remember exact
spelling) which can grow to a few feet. In Ireland you get it in damp
roadside verges and riverbanks. There are about 20 species in these here
parts.

Des