Old 14-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Harold Walker

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Mike Lyle" wrote:

You really think "Halooooo people! Got some great news" is the kind
of subject-line urg users would choose if they'd spotted a bargain?

It was obvious spam, and your language wasn't all that bad. Compared with
the expanded vocabulary I learned in the U.S. Navy* it was very mild
indeed.

*I'm sure British Tars are far more polite. But then, nearly all I know
of
the subject I learned from Gilbert and Sullivan, and that is suspect...

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Gary.....I did a spot of flying training in the US Navy base in Brunswick,
Maine and found the Yankee sailor to be more "polite" language wise than
the British Tar.....perhaps my three months in Brunswick was not long enough
to judge the true saltiness of the Yank sailor....H

Old 14-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Harold Walker

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...] ANYONE who swears in front of others, especially females,
and/or on a
newsgroup such as this where we don't know who is reading, in my

mind
is only fit for the gutter where such language belongs.

Mike
who doesn't knowingly lie either.

NOW watch the flack fly

Can't offer flak, I'm afraid. But I don't patronise women by
adjusting my vocabulary for them.

Sorry, forgot to add "...or by calling them 'females'".

--
Mike.

Why not go full hog and call 'em ladies.....H

Old 14-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Kay

In article , doug
writes

To the educated the phrase "nothing to do with myself " is well understood.
especially to people like myself who use the phrase regularly, - it being
within my vernacular range.
To the grossly ignorant the phrase ***** off* when addressing a lady may be
acceptable.

Was he addressing a lady?

It seemed to me to be no more than a bit of blatant advertising.
--
Kay

Old 14-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Sorry, forgot to add "...or by calling them 'females'".

Why not go full hog and call 'em ladies.....H

Because that's a very precise term, often loosely applied.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Harold Walker

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Sorry, forgot to add "...or by calling them 'females'".

Why not go full hog and call 'em ladies.....H

Because that's a very precise term, often loosely applied.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Being polite one night in Picadilly circus I used the work lady as in "no
thanks lady" and the response was "I aint no lady"....believe she was
thinking in terms of 'Lady of the Night"....which I suspected she was...H

Old 15-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Sorry, forgot to add "...or by calling them 'females'".

Why not go full hog and call 'em ladies.....H

Because that's a very precise term, often loosely applied.

Being polite one night in Picadilly circus I used the work lady as in "no
thanks lady" and the response was "I aint no lady"....believe she was
thinking in terms of 'Lady of the Night"....which I suspected she was...H

That's a standard (egalitarian) response from a woman with no
aspirations to grandeur.