GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Large shrubs next to fences (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9404-large-shrubs-next-fences.html)

Kay Easton 18-02-2003 05:53 PM

Large shrubs next to fences

In article , Sacha
writes
"Martin Sykes" wrote in message news:lx-

I do want to remove the fence but only when the hedge is able to do its job
in terms of both security and privacy. I've ordered my native hedgeing as
seedlings because I'm in no rush. I didn't think the fence would be a
problem other than maybe making the hedge a bit bare on one side which I
thought would recover once the fence was removed.

The problem will be both. I cut down some leylandii (yes I know
you're not planting those!) which had managed to distort iron railings
and almost collapse a low brick wall.

But they were quite large, weren't they?

If you plant the hedge a good 18 inches from the fence, it should be OK
- give the hedge space to grow. Damage to the fence won't be an issue
while the hedge is small, and later on it doesn't matter because you
want to remove it anyway. The main problem will be the fence blocking
light to the hedge - less of a problem if the fence is to the N of the
hedge. Weave some of the branches of the hedge together at the base of
the hedge to try and keep it dense down there. keep the hedge trimmed to
encourage it to bush out.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

Mike 18-02-2003 06:01 PM

Large shrubs next to fences

In article , Kay Easton
writes
[...]

and when the fence is taken down, demolished or rots, the boundary 'can'
be
a good 18 inches

inside your land :-((

See my post re steel stakes and wire.

Mike
http://www.collingwoodassoc.org.uk/ Reunion. Chatham May 30th - June 2nd

Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Reunion October 2003 Isle of Wight.
National Service (RAF) Association reunion. Nov 2003 Scarborough.