Old 14-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Default Daisy, Buttercup, Dettles and Doc.

Hi

A word of advice wanted please.

I have just re-laid a lawn with turf and part of the area is a partly
created and partly natural bank. We have decided to allow the bank to go to
meadow for ease of mowing and also because we have added a 8ft sleeper
sticking out of the ground where we have covered it in bird feeders etc.

We have planted in seed trays, foxglove, poppy, ox eye daisy, cowslip,
primrose and other natural flowers that we plan to plant as plugs later in
the year.

One thing I want to also add is buttercup and the smaller daisy you see in
lawns and also another area towards the bottom of the garden we would like
to add nettles and doc.

The question is would we be breaking the any laws if we wereto find a spot
by the side of the road where nettles, daisy and buttercups grow and dig up
some of the plants to transplant into our bank and the patch at the bottom
of the garden to give it a head start.

Any advice welcome please.

Thanks
Steve

--
The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com

Old 14-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Jupiter

On Sat, 14 May 2005 17:28:10 +0000 (UTC), "Steve -
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote:

[...]

You might need to consider location and growing conditions for these
wild plants. It's better if you can reproduce, as far as possible,
the natural habitat - and they'll grow better. Foxgloves are a
woodland plant and like damp soil with some shade. Poppies like it
fairly hot and dry. Buttercups prefer it quite wet and can be rampant,
spreading via rootlets and being difficult to control. Nettles like a
rich deep soil and plenty of moisture - hence their liking for ditches
and stream banks - for the proper lush growth. If conditions aren't
suitable they'll be scrawny without the deep green colour. Docks tend
to grow in thin poor soils. Although by repute you'll find them near
nettles (as the antidote for the stings!) they don't grow in intimate
association with them.

I think you can buy meadow seed mixtures for direct sowing which
include grasses and the common wild flowers.

Old 14-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Jupiter

[...]

I found a website which might be helpful - www.meadowmania.co.uk which
includes notes of meadow planning and has seed mixtures with and
without grass.
No connection with them and haven't dealt with them

Old 14-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Emrys Davies

"Steve - asked:
The question is would we be breaking the any laws if we wereto find a

spot
by the side of the road where nettles, daisy and buttercups grow and

dig up
some of the plants to transplant into our bank and the patch at the

bottom
of the garden to give it a head start.

Steve.,

Your answer is at 'Plants and Flowers' on this site.

http://www.lawteacher.net/Criminal/P...%20Lecture.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 14-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Mike Lyle

Emrys Davies wrote:
"Steve - asked:
The question is would we be breaking the any laws if we wereto

find
a spot by the side of the road where nettles, daisy and buttercups
grow and dig up some of the plants to transplant into our bank and
the patch at the bottom of the garden to give it a head start.

Steve.,

Your answer is at 'Plants and Flowers' on this site.

http://www.lawteacher.net/Criminal/P...%20Lecture.htm

You can always ask the owner for a few daisies if you don't fancy
highway robbery: they spread quickly if not smothered. You can get
seed from roadside ox-eyes in late summer: they do better in long
grass than the litle ones. Nettles and docks will arrive by
themselves. Buttercups, as has already been mentioned, may become a
nuisance: bulbous are slightly less invasive than creeping.

--
Mike.

Old 14-05-2005, 09:55 PM
davek

"Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote in message
Hi

A word of advice wanted please.

I have just re-laid a lawn with turf and part of the area is a partly
created and partly natural bank. We have decided to allow the bank to go
to meadow for ease of mowing and also because we have added a 8ft sleeper
sticking out of the ground where we have covered it in bird feeders etc.

Where are you? Cheshire has wildflower sites where you can help yourself to
seeds. We found Wheeldon Copse near Delamere. (Having just paid over £100
for seeds from the National Wildflower Centre)
I've been trying to create a wildflower meadow on a bank by a pond (caravan
site) for three years.
'Making wildflower gardens' by Pam Lewis - Sticky Wicket, Dorset- is a mine
of information. You need to remove all the fertile soil off your bank. Bring
the impoverished subsoil to the top. Old english wildflowers don't like rich
soil and they'll be swamped by couch grass and other nasties.Of my fifty
metre long meadow bank only about ten metres have shown prolific growth of
poppies, cornflower, red campion, wild carrot and a few others. Couch grass
has seen to the rest. Your idea of using plugs is good and I'll be trying
that as well. It's such a struggle that I've taken to putting other stuff in
there just for some colour. Raising some Lavatera at the moment. May not be
strictly wildflowers but not many will notice.
DaveK.

Old 14-05-2005, 09:59 PM
ned

"Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote in message
Hi

A word of advice wanted please.

snip
The question is would we be breaking the any laws if we wereto find

a spot
by the side of the road where nettles, daisy and buttercups grow and

dig up
some of the plants to transplant into our bank and the patch at the

bottom
of the garden to give it a head start.

It is an offence under the 1981 Countryside Protection Act to remove
'any' plant from the wild.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 10.05.2005

Old 14-05-2005, 10:37 PM

"ned" wrote in message

"Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote in message
Hi

A word of advice wanted please.

snip
The question is would we be breaking the any laws if we wereto find

a spot
by the side of the road where nettles, daisy and buttercups grow and

dig up
some of the plants to transplant into our bank and the patch at the

bottom
of the garden to give it a head start.

It is an offence under the 1981 Countryside Protection Act to remove
'any' plant from the wild.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 10.05.2005

Thanks for all the useful answers.. I have located a friends garden with
nettles, so he gets a free weeding and with the link to the Meadow site I
will now stick with plugs bought or self grown. I think the soil may be my
only problem.
Regards

Old 15-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:59:01 +0100, "ned" wrote:

It is an offence under the 1981 Countryside Protection Act to remove
'any' plant from the wild.

Out of curiosity, does that include obvious 'garden escapes'?

--
Chris

Old 15-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Bob Hobden

"Steve wrote
Thanks for all the useful answers.. I have located a friends garden with
nettles, so he gets a free weeding and with the link to the Meadow site I
will now stick with plugs bought or self grown. I think the soil may be my
only problem.

The chap wants Buttercups, he WANTS Buttercups ? !!!!!..........and
nettles.......

Now calm down Bob......

Steve, if you are anywhere near me I have a few on my allotments, also some
other "wild flowers" you might like...mutter, mutter, mutter............
:-)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 15-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Steve wrote
Thanks for all the useful answers.. I have located a friends garden with
nettles, so he gets a free weeding and with the link to the Meadow site I
will now stick with plugs bought or self grown. I think the soil may be
my only problem.

The chap wants Buttercups, he WANTS Buttercups ? !!!!!..........and
nettles.......

Now calm down Bob......

Steve, if you are anywhere near me I have a few on my allotments, also
some other "wild flowers" you might like...mutter, mutter,
mutter............ :-)

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Thanks for the offer Bob, I been ropped into one garden clear out for
someones benefit and I am not sure yet if its my benefit.
Thanks
Steve

Old 15-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
The chap wants Buttercups, he WANTS Buttercups ? !!!!!..........and
nettles.......

Now calm down Bob......

Steve, if you are anywhere near me I have a few on my allotments, also some
other "wild flowers" you might like...mutter, mutter, mutter............
:-)

Yes, do calm down Bob. Our organic system of gardening depends on having
plenty of nettles available for composting, insect repellent infusions,
liquid plant feed etc. etc. For further details see the urg nettle FAQ
at: http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html

AND we welcome buttercups on our lawn and in our wildflower/wildlife
areas, along with many other naturally grown plants.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 15-05-2005, 09:02 PM
ned

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:59:01 +0100, "ned" wrote:

It is an offence under the 1981 Countryside Protection Act to

remove
'any' plant from the wild.

Out of curiosity, does that include obvious 'garden escapes'?

Once its in the wild - its wild.
You can bet that the legislators never thought of all the
consequences.
The proper title of the act should be:-
The Wildlife and Countryside Protection Act, 1981.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 10.05.2005

Old 15-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Gould" wrote
after Bob Hobden writes
The chap wants Buttercups, he WANTS Buttercups ? !!!!!..........and
nettles.......

Now calm down Bob......

Steve, if you are anywhere near me I have a few on my allotments, also
some
other "wild flowers" you might like...mutter, mutter, mutter............
:-)

Yes, do calm down Bob. Our organic system of gardening depends on having
plenty of nettles available for composting, insect repellent infusions,
liquid plant feed etc. etc. For further details see the urg nettle FAQ
at: http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html

AND we welcome buttercups on our lawn and in our wildflower/wildlife
areas, along with many other naturally grown plants.
--

Nettles are OK, although not on where one cultivates, it's too painful if
you grab a handful with other weeds. Good for the wildlife especially

Not tried "organic" chemicals for pest control so can't comment.

But Buttercups, these I wage a constant war on, if you don't get the whole
root out whilst digging they come back up again and they multiply
alarmingly. Amazes me that anyone would want such things near a cultivated
garden plot.

In a totally separate wildlife garden then OK.
Our site is a 9.6 acre wildlife garden except for 4 plots 2 of which are
ours so we don't have to think about giving wildlife somewhere, it's more
about fighting to keep wildlife off our plots/veg.

Old 16-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Not tried "organic" chemicals for pest control so can't comment.

Chemicals such as insecticides, herbicides and fungicides are not used
in organic systems.

In a totally separate wildlife garden then OK.
Our site is a 9.6 acre wildlife garden except for 4 plots 2 of which are
ours so we don't have to think about giving wildlife somewhere, it's more
about fighting to keep wildlife off our plots/veg.

Each gardener to their own way of gardening. We work with nature and we
find it very rewarding. We would find it very stressful to fight nature.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.