Old 15-05-2005, 03:46 PM
MM

Default Can I take water from dykes?

Around here in the Fens there are dykes everywhere. The amount of
water going for free is incredible. (My water supply is metered.) I
thought, why can't I get one of those old-fashioned stirrup pumps and
pump some out into a container. But then I thought, ah, there's sure
to be someone who'll say, you can't do that. What's the law?

MM

Old 15-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Mike Lyle

MM wrote:
Around here in the Fens there are dykes everywhere. The amount of
water going for free is incredible. (My water supply is metered.) I
thought, why can't I get one of those old-fashioned stirrup pumps

and
pump some out into a container. But then I thought, ah, there's

sure
to be someone who'll say, you can't do that. What's the law?

It seems you can help yourself to up to 20 cubic metres a day, which
is a lot for a stirrup-pump! After that, you need an abstraction
licence. The following site took ages to load just now, but that may
be a transient condition:
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...75517/?lang=_e

But the dyke may be some sort of private property, so I'd check. Not
that you could use a stirrup-pump anyhow, but I know what you mean.

--
Mike.

Old 15-05-2005, 07:02 PM
MM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:09:43 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

MM wrote:
Around here in the Fens there are dykes everywhere. The amount of
water going for free is incredible. (My water supply is metered.) I
thought, why can't I get one of those old-fashioned stirrup pumps

and
pump some out into a container. But then I thought, ah, there's

sure
to be someone who'll say, you can't do that. What's the law?

It seems you can help yourself to up to 20 cubic metres a day, which
is a lot for a stirrup-pump! After that, you need an abstraction
licence. The following site took ages to load just now, but that may
be a transient condition:
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...75517/?lang=_e

But the dyke may be some sort of private property, so I'd check. Not
that you could use a stirrup-pump anyhow, but I know what you mean.

Goodness! 20 cubic metres a day! That'd be enough to have a bath as
well occasionally! Crikey. Thanks for that. Very interesting. Now all
I need to do is work out a way of fitting a tank into my car! Although
I did see that the Erde trailers outside Halfords are very cheap. The
smaller one was only £149. You'd get a lot of water in a plastic tank
on the back of one of those. Of course, you'd get about 150 cubic
metres of Anglian water for that kind of money instead, but it's the
idea of getting something for nothing that appeals.

MM
Old 15-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Martin

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

Have you worked out how much 20 cubic metres of water weighs?

20 metric tonnes.

Old 15-05-2005, 09:54 PM
MM

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

I'm not about to extract all 20 in one go! A water butt from B&Q
contains around 200 litres. That would do for starters.

MM
Old 15-05-2005, 09:54 PM
MM

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

What conversion factor are you using?

MM
Old 15-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Phil L

MM wrote:
:: On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:51:32 +0100, "Martin"
:: wrote:
::
::: martin wrote:
:::: On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:02:36 +0100, MM
:::: wrote:
::::
::::: On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:09:43 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
::::: wrote:
:::::
:::::: MM wrote:
::::::: Around here in the Fens there are dykes everywhere. The
::::::: amount of water going for free is incredible. (My water
::::::: supply is metered.) I thought, why can't I get one of those
::::::: old-fashioned stirrup pumps and pump some out into a
::::::: container. But then I thought, ah, there's sure to be someone
::::::: who'll say, you can't do that. What's the law?
::::::
[...]
:::
::: 20 metric tonnes.
::
:: What conversion factor are you using?
::
:: MM

There's dozens on google, this is one of them:
http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 15-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Neil Tonks

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

As with most substances the density of water varies with temperature. It
also varies with purity.

At 20 degrees celcius, pure water has a mass of around 0.998203g per cc, so
a cubic metre weighs around 0.998203 tonnes which is surely as near to a
tonne as makes no difference for gardening purposes.

Neil.

Old 15-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Kay

In article , MM
writes
wrote:

Have you worked out how much 20 cubic metres of water weighs?

20 metric tonnes.

What conversion factor are you using?

It's inherent in the way the metric system is defined.
--
Kay

Old 16-05-2005, 01:36 AM
MM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:00:54 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

MM wrote:
:: On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:51:32 +0100, "Martin"
:: wrote:
::
::: martin wrote:
:::: On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:02:36 +0100, MM
:::: wrote:
::::
::::: On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:09:43 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
::::: wrote:
:::::
:::::: MM wrote:
[...]

It was a trick question! Oh, why do I bother...

MM
Old 16-05-2005, 01:37 AM
MM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:18:14 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , MM
writes
wrote:

Have you worked out how much 20 cubic metres of water weighs?

20 metric tonnes.

What conversion factor are you using?

It's inherent in the way the metric system is defined.

No! Really? Clever lot, those French.

MM
Old 16-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Brian Watson

wrote:

Of course, you'd get about 150 cubic
metres of Anglian water for that kind of money instead, but it's the
idea of getting something for nothing that appeals.

Have you worked out how much 20 cubic metres of water weighs?

Or how much the petrol will cost to get it home? Or how much the container
to hold it will cost?

Waste of time and money, I call it.

--
Brian
"Reality rarely lives up to TV, usually because reality has a smaller budget

Old 16-05-2005, 12:10 PM
pammyT

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

By the time you have used petrol to drive to the dyke, and the trailer with
suitable container to hold the water, driven back with a full load, it would
have been cheaper to pay fro metered water.

purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

Old 16-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Sue Begg

In message , pammyT
writes
By the time you have used petrol to drive to the dyke, and the trailer with
suitable container to hold the water, driven back with a full load, it would
have been cheaper to pay fro metered water.

purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

But not half as much fun :-P

I suppose there is the feeling of beating the system in some way. But
there must be less exhausting ways
--
Sue Begg

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!