GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Waisted tomato plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/94142-waisted-tomato-plants.html)

Nick Maclaren 15-05-2005 07:05 PM

Waisted tomato plants

Most of my tomato plants are strongly waisted, from the cold spell
a while back, and that seems to attract aphids. I have repotted
more deeply, but are they beyond hope? One was so badly waisted
that it broke, and is resprouting a little.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

pammyT 15-05-2005 07:26 PM

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Most of my tomato plants are strongly waisted, from the cold spell
a while back, and that seems to attract aphids. I have repotted
more deeply, but are they beyond hope? One was so badly waisted
that it broke, and is resprouting a little.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Wondering what a tomato with a waist looks like. Do you mean it has somehow
shrivelled in the middle? Or has something pinched it on the stem to make it
look like it has a waist. Not sure exactly what you mean. Could you put a
photo somewhere?

--
purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl

Nick Maclaren 15-05-2005 09:23 PM

In article ,
pammyT wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
Most of my tomato plants are strongly waisted, from the cold spell
a while back, and that seems to attract aphids. I have repotted
more deeply, but are they beyond hope? One was so badly waisted
that it broke, and is resprouting a little.

Wondering what a tomato with a waist looks like. Do you mean it has somehow
shrivelled in the middle? Or has something pinched it on the stem to make it
look like it has a waist. Not sure exactly what you mean. Could you put a
photo somewhere?

Yes, there is a narrow point on the stem as if someone has put a corset
on it. I can't do pictures, I am afraid, as I am not into that sort
of technology (don't ask) :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Alan Gould 16-05-2005 06:34 AM

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Most of my tomato plants are strongly waisted, from the cold spell
a while back, and that seems to attract aphids. I have repotted
more deeply, but are they beyond hope? One was so badly waisted
that it broke, and is resprouting a little.

They may recover given time. If any of them have put out side-shoots,
those can be taken to propagate new plants which will be true to the
parent plant.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.