Old 15-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Birch Tree Question

In article ,
Aries wrote:
Our neighbour has bought a birch tree which is already over 10 feet high.
He has planted it on his side of our boundary fence just 8 metres from the
corner wall of our house.

What height will this tree attain ? is it a fast grower? And has he
planted it too near to our property and if so why?

Probably only 35', but possibly more. Fairly fast. It's marginal.

Birches are not particularly bad at causing subsidence, which is
one reason they are popular with planners, but are the number one
pain in the **** for getting into any drain or ducting. If you
have the slightest crack in a drain, the birch will find it and
probably block it.

But they don't blow over or drop branches without warning (another
reason that planners like them), though you have to watch out for
die back because the wood rots quite fast. They are the foremost
tree for mycorrhiza in the UK, so fungi on the roots doesn't
necessarily mean they are on the way out.

They don't cast a heavy shade or drop a heavy leaf litter, but
their dropped seeds and leaves will get EVERYWHERE.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Phil L

Aries wrote:
:: Our neighbour has bought a birch tree which is already over 10
:: feet high. He has planted it on his side of our boundary fence
:: just 8 metres from the corner wall of our house.
::
:: What height will this tree attain ? is it a fast grower? And has
:: he planted it too near to our property and if so why?

'just 8 metres away'?...by my calculations that's well over 26ft, as an
example, we have two beech trees closer to the house than that, one has a
trunk circumference of 20 inches and the other over 18 inches, the largest
one is less than 7 feet away and the 'smaller' one is about 12 feet away,
are you sure you are not just looking for 'ammo' in a long running dispute
with your neighbour?

--
You ain't nothing but a hedgehog, foraging all the time,
You ain't nothing but a hedgehog, foraging all the time,

Old 15-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Phil L

Phil L wrote:
:: Aries wrote:
:::: Our neighbour has bought a birch tree which is already over 10
:::: feet high. He has planted it on his side of our boundary fence
:::: just 8 metres from the corner wall of our house.
::::
:::: What height will this tree attain ? is it a fast grower? And
:::: has he planted it too near to our property and if so why?
::
:: 'just 8 metres away'?...by my calculations that's well over 26ft,
:: as an example, we have two beech trees closer to the house than
:: that, one has a trunk circumference of 20 inches and the other
:: over 18 inches, the largest one is less than 7 feet away and the
:: 'smaller' one is about 12 feet away, are you sure you are not just
:: looking for 'ammo' in a long running dispute with your neighbour?
::

I read that as 'beech tree' for some reason, however the distances I quoted
are still correct, and we haven't had any trouble, either with drains or
subsidence.

:: --

Old 15-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Neil Tonks

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Aries wrote:
:: Our neighbour has bought a birch tree which is already over 10
:: feet high. He has planted it on his side of our boundary fence
:: just 8 metres from the corner wall of our house.
::
:: What height will this tree attain ? is it a fast grower? And has
:: he planted it too near to our property and if so why?

'just 8 metres away'?...by my calculations that's well over 26ft, as an
example, we have two beech trees closer to the house than that, one has a
trunk circumference of 20 inches and the other over 18 inches, the largest
one is less than 7 feet away and the 'smaller' one is about 12 feet away,
are you sure you are not just looking for 'ammo' in a long running dispute
with your neighbour?

To put this into context, we have some birches which are about nine metres
from our house. However, they're in the garden of the house on the other
side of the road!

Don't worry about them, they'll do you no harm and when they get a bit
taller, the sunlight shining through the new green leaves at this time of
year is a wonderful sight.

Neil.

question about river birch/kousa dogwood [email protected] Gardening 13 10-04-2009 08:28 PM
Rot discovered in Birch tree - Bronze Birch Borer ? Some Guy Lawns 6 11-07-2004 08:02 PM
Rot discovered in Birch tree - Bronze Birch Borer ? Some Guy Gardening 6 11-07-2004 08:02 PM
Birch tree question Captain Ron Lawns 3 06-05-2004 03:10 PM
Clump birch planting question Jack Gardening 1 16-06-2003 04:04 PM