Old 15-02-2003, 02:45 PM
emc

Default ceanothus

I have a large ceanothus (sp?) and it should be looking nice by now, but it
isn't. In fact, it looks decidedly dead. The branches haven't got a sign
of life. Do they die quite easily? I thought they were hardy.

Eve

Old 15-02-2003, 03:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
emc wrote:
I have a large ceanothus (sp?) and it should be looking nice by now, but it
isn't. In fact, it looks decidedly dead. The branches haven't got a sign
of life. Do they die quite easily? I thought they were hardy.

They are fairly hardy, but not perfectly so, and don't like soggy,
cold ground. They are also fairly short-lived.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 15-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Paul Kelly

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
emc wrote:
I have a large ceanothus (sp?) and it should be looking nice by now, but

it
isn't. In fact, it looks decidedly dead. The branches haven't got a

sign
of life. Do they die quite easily? I thought they were hardy.

They are fairly hardy, but not perfectly so, and don't like soggy,
cold ground. They are also fairly short-lived.

and temperamental too. Inclined to take umbrage and die for no apparent
reason

pk

Old 15-02-2003, 05:53 PM
emc

emc wrote:
I have a large ceanothus (sp?) and it should be looking nice by now,

but
it
isn't. In fact, it looks decidedly dead. The branches haven't got a

sign
of life. Do they die quite easily? I thought they were hardy.

They are fairly hardy, but not perfectly so, and don't like soggy,
cold ground. They are also fairly short-lived.

and temperamental too. Inclined to take umbrage and die for no apparent
reason

pk

Thanks for the info. Where it is planted is shady, and faces straight out
to Dartmoor. Probably what killed it. I shall have to buy a new shrub now.

Eve

Old 15-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
emc wrote:

Thanks for the info. Where it is planted is shady, and faces straight out
to Dartmoor. Probably what killed it. I shall have to buy a new shrub now.

Yes. They are Californian plants and need sun in the UK.

Old 15-02-2003, 06:06 PM
Tom Atkinson

I have one that appeared to be completely dead two years ago after a severe
spell of frost. However it produced new growth and last year flowered as
normal. At the moment it looks fine, so perhaps you should wait and see if
it has survived.
Tom Atkinson