GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pear pollination question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9431-pear-pollination-question.html)

Udo Dölz 16-02-2003 06:39 PM

Pear pollination question

I have just bought two pear tree maidens. I wanted one each of Doyen Du
Comice and Concorde, but I have ended up with two Concorde. The gardening
books only talk about having a pollination partner, but don't say whether it
MUST be a different variety. Will it work having two trees the same?

Udo

Michael Berridge 16-02-2003 11:23 PM

Pear pollination question

Udo Dölz wrote in message ...
I have just bought two pear tree maidens. I wanted one each of Doyen Du
Comice and Concorde, but I have ended up with two Concorde. The

gardening
books only talk about having a pollination partner, but don't say

whether it
MUST be a different variety. Will it work having two trees the same?

No. two trees of the same type will not help, you do need a different
variety.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Kay Easton 17-02-2003 06:26 PM

Pear pollination question

In article , Michael Berridge
writes

Udo Dölz wrote in message ...
I have just bought two pear tree maidens. I wanted one each of Doyen Du
Comice and Concorde, but I have ended up with two Concorde. The

gardening
books only talk about having a pollination partner, but don't say

whether it
MUST be a different variety. Will it work having two trees the same?

No. two trees of the same type will not help, you do need a different
variety.

Why is that? Is it because they are in effect clones?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

J Jackson 18-02-2003 06:11 PM

Pear pollination question

Kay Easton wrote:

:No. two trees of the same type will not help, you do need a different
:variety.

: Why is that? Is it because they are in effect clones?

Yes. Some varieties are self fertile, e.g. conference (a parent of
concorde), but in general you need a different variety.

concorde is good, but I've found it a shy fruiter, could be a less ideal
setting I have it in - too close against a hedge that the current
neighbour doesn't control.

good look.

Jim