Old 18-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Simon

Default Help requested with afflicted Holly trees

Hello -

I planted some small Holly trees a few years ago, hoping they would grow
into screening trees that would be colourful in winter, but they have not
flourished. Their latest affliction is something that is causing brown spots
to appear on their leaves, which then die and fall off. Pictures at
http://www.sgurr.co.uk/misc/unwell_holly_1.jpg
http://www.sgurr.co.uk/misc/unwell_holly_2.jpg
http://www.sgurr.co.uk/misc/unwell_holly_3.jpg
Am I right in thinking this is some kind of fungal infection?
I tried spraying a few weeks ago with a spray containing Myclobutanil, but
it doesn't seem to have helped.
There are a few ants on the trees, but no signs of hostile insects that I
can see.
I apply Growmore a couple of times each year.
The location is fairly shady and well drained. Is too much watering or too
little likely to be a factor?

Any advice would be appreciated - if I can't get them to grow soon I may
remove them and plant Pyracntha, which seems to love this particular
location.

Thanks,

Simon

Old 18-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Hello -

I planted some small Holly trees a few years ago

Any advice would be appreciated -

Thanks,

Simon
Holly are not fast growers when young so would advise patience ...they soon take off....the foliage in the pics is just old leaves beginning to fall , the plant has withdrawn resources from these old leaves so the blemishes show...i'm sure these hollies will be vigourous in 2 - 3 years time .

remember theres no such thing as " evergreen " ... ususally means drops it's leaves in summer .
Old 19-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Kay

In article , Eyebright Eyebright.1
writes

Simon Wrote:
Hello -

I planted some small Holly trees a few years ago

Any advice would be appreciated -

Thanks,

Simon

Holly are not fast growers when young so would advise patience ...they
soon take off....the foliage in the pics is just old leaves beginning
to fall , the plant has withdrawn resources from these old leaves so
the blemishes show...i'm sure these hollies will be vigourous in 2 - 3
years time .

remember theres no such thing as " evergreen " ... ususally means
drops it's leaves in summer .

I'd agree with that. They sit around for several years not apparently
growing, just putting down a good root system, and then they take off.
The rest of the leaves in your picture look good and vigorous.

I would give them another couple of years - by then you should see the
leader shoot taking off. They'll be a lot less hassle than pyracantha,
which grow so fast that you're forever trying to cut back vicious spiny
branches. If you really want to get id of the holly, I'd be looking at
berberis instead. But the hollies will make lovely bushes and are worth
the early effort.

Incidentally, what varieties of holly are they? Most hollies bear either
male or female flowers, and you'll need females trees for the berries
and a male nearby for pollination.
--
Kay

Old 19-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Simon

Simon Wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice, I'll give them some more time. I can't remember what
kind they are, just a selection from the garden centre. I think I've got
both male and female, because they put a lot of energy into producing lots
of flowers and berries - energy that I'd prefer was used to produce leaves
and height at this stage.