Old 19-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Janet Bennett

Default Silly Question About Bird Boxes

Daft question, which way should be opening face? Would it be worthwhile
fixing one my fence? Some advice please.
--
Jan

Old 19-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Janet Bennett

Sorry, first posting really awful grammar

Meant to say which way should the opening face? North, South, East or West.
Could I fix a box to the fence post????
Thanks

Old 19-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Klara

In message , Janet Bennett
writes
Meant to say which way should the opening face? North, South, East or
West.
Could I fix a box to the fence post????

Not south or west or the fledglings will cook - if the eggs haven't
already. Not sure a fence is the best place, as fence tops tend to be
cat promenades... on a wall or tree might be safer.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 19-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Bob Hobden

"Klara" wrote
Janet Bennett
Meant to say which way should the opening face? North, South, East or
West.
Could I fix a box to the fence post????

Not south or west or the fledglings will cook - if the eggs haven't
already. Not sure a fence is the best place, as fence tops tend to be cat
promenades... on a wall or tree might be safer.

Don't face it into the full sun, ours face E. but are also shaded by next
doors house so only get sun for about an hour mid morning.
I put two up on the side of our house for Sparrows, got Blue Tits instead
every year and I think they are now feeding their second brood if they do
such things. No way anything can get to them there and better than when I
had them on the fence, found a cat sitting on the box once.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 19-05-2005, 11:06 PM
pammyT

purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl
"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
Daft question, which way should be opening face? Would it be worthwhile
fixing one my fence? Some advice please.

should face east. Gets the first morning rays to warm chicks up, but
sheltered from the very hot south and west sun, and sheltered also from the
prevailing weather which blows from thw west or north. Fences are too low
and the chicks will be at risk from all sorts of predators.

Old 20-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Andy

Not sure a fence is the best place, as fence tops tend to be
cat promenades...

Don't mention the cats.... You know what happened when I did!!

Sshhhhhhhhhhhhh Mike may be about!!! LOL

Andy

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , Janet Bennett
writes

Bird boxes David Hill United Kingdom 18 13-11-2012 02:37 PM
bird boxes sally H United Kingdom 28 16-01-2007 01:35 PM
Bird boxes Emm18 United Kingdom 5 29-04-2005 08:45 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 11:02 PM
Bird nesting boxes eddy United Kingdom 15 14-03-2003 09:53 AM