Old 17-02-2003, 09:49 PM
trevor.appleton

Default Propagation Bench construction

Can any one direct me towards some instructions for a propagation bench.

So far I have constructed a 6' x 2' x 6" deep bench and ordered a 20 ft soil
warming cable and a rod thermostat.

I was wondering about lining the bottom with a sheet of polystyrene, with
drainage hoiles of course.

Was then gouing to use horticultural grit. Not sure of the depth of grit
abovre and below the cable?

Trevor

---

Old 18-02-2003, 09:57 AM
david

Polystyrene yes I cover mine with polythene sheet, don't put drainage
through, then 2 inches of sand cable laid 6 inches apart then another 2
inches then black poly over that to keep the moisture in the sand around the
cable.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 18-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Annabel

"trevor.appleton" wrote in message
Can any one direct me towards some instructions for a propagation

bench.

So far I have constructed a 6' x 2' x 6" deep bench and ordered a 20

ft soil
warming cable and a rod thermostat.

I was wondering about lining the bottom with a sheet of polystyrene,

with
drainage hoiles of course.

Was then gouing to use horticultural grit. Not sure of the depth of

grit
abovre and below the cable?

Trevor

Yes line with polystyrene also line the sides. I have experimented on
this and found the heat loss through the sides to be significant..

Bell

Old 18-02-2003, 12:08 PM
andyp

I would think about including some polystyrene insulation between the
plastic sheet and the sides and base.

--
"Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above

Old 18-02-2003, 09:43 PM
trevor.appleton

through, then 2 inches of sand cable laid 6 inches apart then another 2
inches then black poly over that to keep the moisture in the sand

1 " or 2" polystyrene?

Sand or grit?

Sharp or soft sand?

---

Old 18-02-2003, 09:56 PM
trevor.appleton

Polystyrene yes I cover mine with polythene sheet, don't put drainage
through,

Is polystyrene porous then David?

---

Old 18-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Annabel

"david" wrote in message
Polystyrene yes I cover mine with polythene sheet, don't put drainage
through, then 2 inches of sand cable laid 6 inches apart then another

2
inches then black poly over that to keep the moisture in the sand

around the
cable.

--
David Hill

Do you not put steel mesh over the cables to distribute heat.

Trevor,, Do you intend rooting into the sand etc or are you going to
stand pots etc on it.

Bell

Old 18-02-2003, 10:17 PM
trevor.appleton

Trevor,, Do you intend rooting into the sand etc or are you going to
stand pots etc on it.

Hi Bell

I was kinda hoping to do both

Trevor

BTW Do you know of any good lists of professional horticultural sites?

---

Old 19-02-2003, 12:04 AM
david

Is polystyrene porous then David?

No but if you have damp sand sandwiched between the polystyrene and a top
layer of polythene then it will stay damp.
The top layer will stop the water from going into the sand
If the sand dries then the heat doesn't spread evenly through the bench.
I have had this working now for many years.
I also put the wires 6 inches apart with the thermostat probe between the
wires and just below the surface (about 1/2 inch)
The polythene also stops the plant rots going into the bench.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 19-02-2003, 05:25 PM
trevor.appleton

so sand rather than horticultural grit?

Can I root direct into the sand as well as stand pots/trays on it?

---

Old 20-02-2003, 10:44 PM
david

You can root straight into the sand on the bench, but I wouldn't. roots
quickly get amongst the wires and mess up the level of the wires. better to
rot in a box of media. I would use 1/3rd peat, 1/3rd sand and 1/3rd
pearlite, in a box a couple of inches deep.
It will be easier to get the plants out.
but still better to root in cell trays,

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 23-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Trevor Appleton

How often do you have to wet the sand using this method?

Trevor

"david" wrote in message
Is polystyrene porous then David?

No but if you have damp sand sandwiched between the polystyrene and a top
layer of polythene then it will stay damp.
The top layer will stop the water from going into the sand
If the sand dries then the heat doesn't spread evenly through the bench.
I have had this working now for many years.
I also put the wires 6 inches apart with the thermostat probe between the
wires and just below the surface (about 1/2 inch)
The polythene also stops the plant rots going into the bench.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

---

ants in plunge bench Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 11 08-04-2005 11:14 AM
Storage Bench - Recommendations Martin Sykes United Kingdom 3 15-10-2004 02:41 PM
Flip-up Garden Bench? Katherine Gardening 1 20-04-2004 06:09 PM
[IBC] bench pics adam roler Bonsai 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Heated bench david United Kingdom 0 23-02-2003 09:41 PM