GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sterilising compost? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/94481-sterilising-compost.html)

Alan Holmes 21-05-2005 03:31 PM

Sterilising compost?

I've been using some 2/3 year old compost, but it seems to be full
of weed seeds, I've tried putting some in the microwave but I'm not
sure it's been detrimental to the compost.

So what is the best/simplest way of getting rid of unwanted weed
seeds in compost?

How do commercial suppliers do it?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Tumbleweed 22-05-2005 08:16 AM

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I've been using some 2/3 year old compost, but it seems to be full
of weed seeds, I've tried putting some in the microwave but I'm not
sure it's been detrimental to the compost.

So what is the best/simplest way of getting rid of unwanted weed
seeds in compost?

How do commercial suppliers do it?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

When I worked at a nursery many years ago the ground was steam treated prior
to planting.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Emrys Davies 22-05-2005 08:41 PM

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I've been using some 2/3 year old compost, but it seems to be full
of weed seeds, I've tried putting some in the microwave but I'm not
sure it's been detrimental to the compost.

So what is the best/simplest way of getting rid of unwanted weed
seeds in compost?

How do commercial suppliers do it?

Best to ignore them, use your compost in the normal way and deal with
any weeds as they emerge.

Dealing with weeds is a never ending process because they arrive from so
many different sources as shown in this interesting site.

http://www.nwcb.wa.gov/education/control.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Aardvark 23-05-2005 12:31 AM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 14:31:30 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

I've been using some 2/3 year old compost, but it seems to be full
of weed seeds, I've tried putting some in the microwave but I'm not
sure it's been detrimental to the compost.

So what is the best/simplest way of getting rid of unwanted weed
seeds in compost?

How do commercial suppliers do it?

What quantity do you want to treat.

You could try a steam wallpaper stripper that would probably treat a
tray every 5 minutes. No much use if yo need to deal with a lot of
trays, but OK for the home gardener.

suspicious minds 23-05-2005 02:26 AM

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I've been using some 2/3 year old compost, but it seems to be full
of weed seeds, I've tried putting some in the microwave but I'm not
sure it's been detrimental to the compost.

So what is the best/simplest way of getting rid of unwanted weed
seeds in compost?

Seriously, has anyone tried using a dish washer?

Kay 23-05-2005 08:16 AM

In article , suspicious minds
writes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I've been using some 2/3 year old compost, but it seems to be full
of weed seeds, I've tried putting some in the microwave but I'm not
sure it's been detrimental to the compost.

So what is the best/simplest way of getting rid of unwanted weed
seeds in compost?

Seriously, has anyone tried using a dish washer?

You would have to make sure the soil was in a well sealed container.
Washing pots in the dishwasher blocks the water jets.

--
Kay

Mike Lyle 23-05-2005 11:02 AM

Kay wrote:
[...]
Seriously, has anyone tried using a dish washer?

You would have to make sure the soil was in a well sealed

container.
Washing pots in the dishwasher blocks the water jets.

And I doubt if the temperature in the middle of the material would
get high enough.

One of the media chefs, however, did say that if you haven't got a
fish kettle, then wrapping a whole salmon in foil and putting it in
the dishwasher would cook it very nicely! I didn't take in the
details, I'm afraid.

--
Mike.

Harold Walker 24-05-2005 05:04 PM

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I've been using some 2/3 year old compost, but it seems to be full
of weed seeds, I've tried putting some in the microwave but I'm not
sure it's been detrimental to the compost.

So what is the best/simplest way of getting rid of unwanted weed
seeds in compost?

How do commercial suppliers do it?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Here is what an allotment holder did years ago.....built a fire and over it
put an ash can with about 6 inches of water in it....suepended a bag of
compost above the water and put on the lid...allowed the steam to do its
job........H

Gary 25-05-2005 09:32 AM

On 5/24/05 9:04 AM, in article , "Harold
Walker" wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I've been using some 2/3 year old compost, but it seems to be full
of weed seeds, I've tried putting some in the microwave but I'm not
sure it's been detrimental to the compost.

So what is the best/simplest way of getting rid of unwanted weed
seeds in compost?

How do commercial suppliers do it?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Here is what an allotment holder did years ago.....built a fire and over it
put an ash can with about 6 inches of water in it....suepended a bag of
compost above the water and put on the lid...allowed the steam to do its

Now I like this one! I tried the oven and stunk up the house....I was not
impressed...whatever one does I think it should be outdoors...
Gary