Old 21-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Chemical weed killing under conifer hedging?

Chris Wilson wrote:
We have a 100 yard conifer hedge with post and rail fencing tight
against it on the outside. The fence has 1/2 inch wire mesh stapled
along its inside, to keep the ornamental birds we keep in. This

makes
weeding a laborious task, as you can only reach under from one

side.
Is there a sprayable weed killer available that will not harm the
hedge? We have grass growing virtually to the base of the hedge,

but
we don't mind if the very edge of the lawn suffers slightly!

A similar question applies to the beech hedge down another similar
sized boundary.

If you've no objection to using glyphosate ("Roundup" etc), it won't
do the slightest harm to the hedge as long as none of the spray
touches the leaves. "Coated" leaves such as those of conifers aren't
as vulnerable as deciduous ones, anyhow. I hate to say this, as I
prefer not to use sprays, but, in honesty, a few drops on even the
beech hedge won't make a heck of a difference.

You can protect the grass by covering it with plastic sheet while you
spray. It's important to wait for a still day, of course, as spray
drift can make your plants grow all funny even if they aren't killed,
and I'd rather not even think about what it might do in your lungs or
the pores of your skin. It took thousands of years before people
realised what familiar simple things like lead compounds could do to
you.

If you want to stick to less complex chemicals, a light attack on
weeds with sodium chlorate doesn't seem to do any harm to nearby
trees, but others may disagree, and the suggestion comes without
warranty, express or implied!

--
Mike.

Old 22-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Malcolm

On Sat, 21 May 2005 22:29:05 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Chris Wilson wrote:
We have a 100 yard conifer hedge with post and rail fencing tight
against it on the outside. The fence has 1/2 inch wire mesh stapled
along its inside, to keep the ornamental birds we keep in. This

makes
weeding a laborious task, as you can only reach under from one

side.
Is there a sprayable weed killer available that will not harm the
hedge? We have grass growing virtually to the base of the hedge,

but
we don't mind if the very edge of the lawn suffers slightly!

A similar question applies to the beech hedge down another similar
sized boundary.

If you've no objection to using glyphosate ("Roundup" etc), it won't
do the slightest harm to the hedge

Actually it will, especially if you times your idiotic advice by the
thousands of people who also naively rely on such toxic chemicals,
usually thinking advice from the village idiot is OK.

You can download "Glyphosate.pdf" from their website at
www.pesticide.org
Old 22-05-2005, 12:55 PM
rbel

In message , Malcolm
writes
wrote:

Chris Wilson wrote:
[...]

As I have a similar problem I would be interested to know what harm
would the careful application of glyphosate do to the hedge if the user
is careful to ensure that no drift or overspray occurs.

--
rbel
Old 22-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Mike Lyle

rbel wrote:
In message , Malcolm
writes
wrote:

Chris Wilson wrote:
[...]

Having just been quoted out of context -- funny how these people so
often cut out or ignore anything which looks as though it might tend
to _agree_ with them -- I'll come back without waiting for any reply
from rbel. But I think I made my conservative position clear enough,
so I won't repeat it.

I don't know of any ill-effect on plants of glyphosate residue at
root level. Not even the URL above claims any such effects.

--
Mike.

Old 22-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Mike Lyle

Mike Lyle wrote:
[...]
-- I'll come back without waiting for any reply
from rbel. [...]

I've got the names mixed up: I'm sorry.

--
Mike.

Old 22-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Colin

On Sun, 22 May 2005 14:32:43 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Mike Lyle wrote:
[...]
-- I'll come back without waiting for any reply
from rbel. [...]

I've got the names mixed up: I'm sorry.

Try using less chemicals.

Old 22-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Colin

On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:55:21 +0100, rbel wrote:

In message , Malcolm
writes
wrote:

Chris Wilson wrote:
[...]

Just times the careful use by the many thousands of people here using
it and you have a huge problem.
Old 22-05-2005, 07:09 PM
rbel

snip

sized boundary.

If you've no objection to using glyphosate ("Roundup" etc), it won't
do the slightest harm to the hedge

Actually it will, especially if you times your idiotic advice by the
thousands of people who also naively rely on such toxic chemicals,
usually thinking advice from the village idiot is OK.

You can download "Glyphosate.pdf" from their website at
www.pesticide.org

As I have a similar problem I would be interested to know what harm
would the careful application of glyphosate do to the hedge if the user
is careful to ensure that no drift or overspray occurs.

Just times the careful use by the many thousands of people here using
it and you have a huge problem.

My question was whether or not it would do any harm to the hedge in my
garden.

--
rbel
Old 22-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Colin

On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:09:10 +0100, rbel wrote:

snip

sized boundary.

If you've no objection to using glyphosate ("Roundup" etc), it won't
do the slightest harm to the hedge

Actually it will, especially if you times your idiotic advice by the
thousands of people who also naively rely on such toxic chemicals,
usually thinking advice from the village idiot is OK.

You can download "Glyphosate.pdf" from their website at
www.pesticide.org

As I have a similar problem I would be interested to know what harm
would the careful application of glyphosate do to the hedge if the user
is careful to ensure that no drift or overspray occurs.

Just times the careful use by the many thousands of people here using
it and you have a huge problem.

My question was whether or not it would do any harm to the hedge in my
garden.

The answer is YES stupid, your stupidity affects all of us.
Old 22-05-2005, 09:10 PM
rbel

In message , Colin
writes
[...]

I would be grateful if you would explain what harm it would cause to the
hedge.

--
rbel

Old 24-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
I don't know of any ill-effect on plants of glyphosate residue at
root level. Not even the URL above claims any such effects.

As one who is currently suffering from an overload of caustic remarks
after recommending, in innocence, a Roundup container, (I was
recommending the container which allows you to fill a small plastic
gun/nozzle via a plunger and then spray rather than the chemical
therein) I can sympathise!

However I used a flame gun to go along the bottom of hedges, especially
in the damp or in the winter when my hawthorn doesn't have leaves.
The gun is not intended to burn up the foliage but rather to heat treat
it and it will die, then you go along a couple of weeks later and redo
it and the foliage will burn up easily,. |This shouldn't affect the wire
nor the hedges and should be safe.
I also use the gun on patios etc where there are ponds about and birds,
this way the moss and weed get killed off but there's no dangerous
substances to lay around

Just a thought.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 24-05-2005, 12:17 PM
BAC

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Mike Lyle
writes
[...]

Is it a 'parosene' butane fuelled 'gun'? If so, there have been opinions
voiced here that it is next to useless. Personally, I disagree, but anyone
thinking of buying one might like to be aware of the negative feedback on
this group before shelling out.

Old 24-05-2005, 12:52 PM
RichardS

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Mike Lyle
writes
I don't know of any ill-effect on plants of glyphosate residue at
root level. Not even the URL above claims any such effects.

As one who is currently suffering from an overload of caustic remarks
after recommending, in innocence, a Roundup container, (I was recommending
the container which allows you to fill a small plastic gun/nozzle via a
plunger and then spray rather than the chemical therein) I can sympathise!

I suspect that our recent spell of trolls & obsessives has absolutely
nothing to do with glyphosate per se, but everything to do with GM &
Monsanto.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 24-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Colin

On Tue, 24 May 2005 09:52:00 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
[...]

And a good one at that. See doidnt hurt did it?
Old 24-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Martin Brown

BAC wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

In article , Mike Lyle
writes

I don't know of any ill-effect on plants of glyphosate residue at
root level. Not even the URL above claims any such effects.

Negligible effect in soil unless you vastly overdose it. You pretty much
have to hit green plant material with glyphosate for it to be effective.

As one who is currently suffering from an overload of caustic remarks
after recommending, in innocence, a Roundup container, (I was
recommending the container which allows you to fill a small plastic
gun/nozzle via a plunger and then spray rather than the chemical
therein) I can sympathise!

I don't like paying for fancy packaging. But there is nothing wrong with
glyphosate - considering how deadly it is to green plants it is
astonishingly benign in animals. The wetting agents used in the
commercial formulations are worse.

However I used a flame gun to go along the bottom of hedges, especially
in the damp or in the winter when my hawthorn doesn't have leaves.
The gun is not intended to burn up the foliage but rather to heat treat
it and it will die, then you go along a couple of weeks later and redo
it and the foliage will burn up easily,.

Hmm. This isn't such a good idea with a conifer hedge. The pine resin
makes them very inclined to catch fire. ISTR Bob Flowerdew has a tale
about burning down a large conifer hedge he was supposed to be weeding
with a flamethrower.

Is it a 'parosene' butane fuelled 'gun'? If so, there have been opinions
voiced here that it is next to useless. Personally, I disagree, but anyone
thinking of buying one might like to be aware of the negative feedback on
this group before shelling out.

I still reckon spot weeding with glyphosate is easy enough under hedges.
You just have to be careful. And the odd spec on a big tree sized plant
won't easily kill it. Cut off any parts accidentally exposed.

Amazingly waxy holly seedlings seem to be able to tolerate a direct hit.
But don't rely on this! Buttercup is also somewhat tolerant.

Regards,
Martin Brown