Old 22-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Broadback

Default Off topic, World Books

I've been looking at the flyer for World Books in a gardening magazine,
some very tasty bargains, but.....
Having been on their Web page and read the flyer from cover to cover I
cannot find any conditions, like "Must buy 12 books a year." Has anyone
experience of this company, and what exactly are their conditions?
TIA
Old 22-05-2005, 06:51 PM
batgirl

When I joined last year you had to buy 4 books over the year which wasn't
difficult. Then cancel your membership and wait for them to ask you back
with a similar offer. Marvellous.

Old 23-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Broadback
writes
I've been looking at the flyer for World Books in a gardening magazine,
some very tasty bargains, but.....
Having been on their Web page and read the flyer from cover to cover I
cannot find any conditions, like "Must buy 12 books a year." Has anyone
experience of this company, and what exactly are their conditions?
TIA

I had some good bargain RHS Encyclopedias from World Books and I bought
the then obligatory four further books from them. After that I cancelled
my 'membership' in writing, but they continued to send further books and
bills for them, which I refused to pay. I returned the unwanted books,
but they denied receiving them and carried on sending more. The matter
finished up very nastily, but without me paying anything more.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 23-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Broadback

Alan Gould wrote:

In article , Broadback
writes

I've been looking at the flyer for World Books in a gardening magazine,
some very tasty bargains, but.....
Having been on their Web page and read the flyer from cover to cover I
cannot find any conditions, like "Must buy 12 books a year." Has anyone
experience of this company, and what exactly are their conditions?
TIA

I had some good bargain RHS Encyclopedias from World Books and I bought
the then obligatory four further books from them. After that I cancelled
my 'membership' in writing, but they continued to send further books and
bills for them, which I refused to pay. I returned the unwanted books,
but they denied receiving them and carried on sending more. The matter
finished up very nastily, but without me paying anything more.

Thanks you all for your help, I never expected it to be a free lunch,
but could not find the conditions. As I have no wish for leftovers I
will give it a miss.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:00 PM
VX

On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:37:15 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote
(in message ):

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I've been looking at the flyer for World Books in a gardening magazine,
some very tasty bargains, but.....
Having been on their Web page and read the flyer from cover to cover I
cannot find any conditions, like "Must buy 12 books a year." Has anyone
experience of this company, and what exactly are their conditions?
TIA

You didn't look at the website closely enough

http://www.worldbooks.co.uk/visit/nmatc.asp?pagever=WWG

says

"As a member of World Books, all we ask is that you buy at least a
further 4 books in your first year of membership. You can order via the
site or from your magazine. After you've chosen these titles, you can
buy as many or as few books as you wish, and still take advantage of all
the club benefits.

Each issue, we will offer you the chance to rely on our expertise and
receive the Editor's Choice. If you don't want it, let us know on-line,
or detach a coupon from your order form, and we won't send it."

From experience;

This is an inertia-sales method. They make their money from people
who don't read the small print, and don't realise what they've agreed
to. You've been warned :-)

The introductory offers are marvellous value to sucker you in. From
there, you're committed to buying a further 4 books in the year chosen
from a monthly magazine. In the magazine, theres also a monthly
"editors choice". This useless tome will be sent to you automatically
unless you decline it by a deadline; and sometimes, even if you did
decline it. They rely on some recipients being so busy/lazy they pay up
rather than reject and return it.

Even if you avoid that pitfall, you're certainly going to end up paying
for the following:

Bargain intro offer (plus the p and p, which is always several pounds)
4 far less desirable books at a slight discount, which you could
probably buy cheaper in a large bookseller. They are usually the kind
titles you see (cheaper) in Bargain Books on the high st.

Plus, several pounds p and p for the four books.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, and plenty of people who know
how to market the leftovers.

Janet.

This is all true, BUT-

-assuming they haven't changed this (and you could phone them and ask) after
the first year you can call them and ask them to no longer offer you the
Editors Choice thingummy any more and from then on you don't have to cancel
it in advance each month, you just buy what you want, if anything takes your
fancy. It wasn't hard to find a few books at ultra-cheap prices the first
year and after that it was all downhill. Although I should say that i
cancelled my membership after a few years and i can't even remember why now--
most likely just that there was rarely another book that i was actually
interested in buying. I do however have as a result some big and heavy
encyclopaeideas, history books, a big dictionary and a huge atlas + other
weighty tomes that i don't read that would have cost and arm and a leg but
didn't, if that is any recommendation. What i DO remember is that even after
i cancelled they kept sending me begging letters asking me to rejoin and
teling me that i was some sort of "preferred customer". I'd say that after
you've bought a few choice books, the range on offer can get seem pretty
limited with the emphasis on lightweight fiction with some good stuff mixed
in depending on your tastes.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)