GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   USDA zones (frost zones) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9471-usda-zones-frost-zones.html)

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker 21-02-2003 02:55 PM

USDA zones (frost zones)

For the record....the USDA zonal chart was designed for use in the USA. It
is but one of a number of "tools" that keen gardeners use.......an extremely
useful tool I might add.....of course, like many things, it is by no means
foolproof. It does serve the purpose of being an indicator of the cold
hardiness of perennials and shrubs. It does not discuss sun or shade, dry
or wet nor the pH requirements etc. etc.

I would never think of planting a valuable planting without first consulting
its USDA hardiness zone, unless I was considering growing in the
conservatory.

HW.

Jane Ransom 21-02-2003 03:27 PM

USDA zones (frost zones)

In article b5r5a.188844$tq4.4876@sccrnsc01, Anne Middleton/Harold
Walker writes

I would never think of planting a valuable planting without first consulting
its USDA hardiness zone, unless I was considering growing in the
conservatory.

Well, if you lived and gardened in the uk and planted your plants
according to the USDA hardiness zones, you would probably loose quite a
large proportion of them!!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker 21-02-2003 05:09 PM

USDA zones (frost zones)

If I lived and planted in England I would not be stupid enough to even look
at it.......but I would certainly carry my brollie....especially in
Lancashire HW

Alan Holmes 21-02-2003 08:26 PM

USDA zones (frost zones)

"Anne Middleton/Harold Walker" wrote in message
If I lived and planted in England I would not be stupid enough to even

look
at it.......but I would certainly carry my brollie....especially in
Lancashire HW

Then why publish this rubbish in an uk newsgroup?

Alan

Simon 21-02-2003 08:50 PM

USDA zones (frost zones)

http://www.perennialsonline.com/frost_chart.html