Old 25-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Rob Steed

Default Preparation of land prior to laying new turf ...

Hello Gardeners,

I'm looking for some advice from you people if possible please ... I
know nothing at all about gardening!

We bought a new house last year and the builders only turfed the front
garden and didn't bother with the back. That's left for us to pay out
for (

Gradually the weed has started to build up and it had got to the point
last weekend where myself and the wife decided we better get out and
clear some of it. Some of the weed had grown to about two feet tall.
You name it, it's there ... dock leaves, thistles and all sorts.

So now comes the questions ...

We have managed to clear the majority of the weed but there are still
quite a few roots left behind. The land is very much clay(ee). Now the
majority of weed has been cleared, what would now be the best course of
action to take to prepeare it for laying some new turf?

Should I dig it all and then put some weed killer down? If so, can
someone recommend a good weed killer please? or ... should I hire a
rotorvator rather than dig? We also want to get the land as flat as we
possibly can before the new turf is laid so how would we go about doing
that? What's the best/easiest method?

Many thanks for your time and help,

Rob.

Old 25-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Phil L

Rob Steed wrote:
:: Hello Gardeners,
::
[...]

With the exception of dandelions, very few other weeds can stand regular
mowing, thistles and docks certainly can't.
If you wanted to kill the roots, you should have sprayed the weeds while
they were actively growing, weedkiller goes through the leaves and into the
roots - now that you have removed the leaves there is little else for you to
do other than manually dig out the roots...failing that, just level it up
and lay turf over the top, sure you may get the odd weed here and there but
as I said before, regular mowing will keep them to a minimum, and let's face
it; do you really want a 'bowling green' effect or are you happy with just a
patch of neat grass? - my bet is on the latter and a few small weeds won't
be too much of a burden.

To get the ground flattish, loosedn the top few inches, rake it and tamp it
down with timber, do this all over and then lay your turf, if you really
want to go to town on it, do it in sections by putting a timber spar (about
4X3) down each side and put a spirit level across on top of another spar
(forming a letter H) when you have the desired level, draw the cross member
up and down without letting it leave the surface of the two side timbers,
this will drag off any lumps and fill in any hollows but is laborious and
the soil is not compacted, when you do compact it, you may need to repeat
the procedure, but if you want a billiard table effect, this is the way to
go...for normal meadow turf which can vary in thickness from 1 to 3 inches,
it's not worth the effort.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 26-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Mike Lyle

Phil L wrote:
Rob Steed wrote:
[...]

But -- regular readers will groan as I burst into a now too familiar
song -- don't use a rotovator. Please don't. It'll chop up the roots
of perennial weeds, and each piece will grow into a new plant. It
will probably also leave you with heart-breaking lumps of clay all
over the place, which you'll have to break up by hand anyhow. Phil's
advice is sound.

--
Mike.

Old 27-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Rob Steed

Excellent. Thanks for the info/advice Mike and Phil.

Rob.