Old 25-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Prakash

Default Newbie... HElp in identifying plants please

Hi,
We moved into our house last Autumn and left the garden alone to see what
would turn up in the spring. Lots of stuff did Unfortunately most of them
weeds.
Among all that there are a few plants, shrubs, trees that I do not know -
all of them are probably pretty common as this garden seems to just grown
wild for a few years now. Your help in identifying these will be greatly
appreciated. For each of the plants there is a link to my site with the
photo.

1. Is this a plum ? The flower looks like the plums in the RHS books, but
the leaves dont. Its growing in a Laurel hedge. Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Plum.jpg

2. Is this Lilac ? Any idea as to which variety ? Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/lilac.jpg

3. Unknown shrub 1. This is rather small - approx 2 feet high. Has small,
round white flowers that turn up in the spring. Most of them are gone now.
Photo : http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown1.jpg

4. Unknown plant 2. This is a small wispy plant - nice flowers though.
Started to flower a week ago. Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown2.jpg

5. Unknown plant 3. Looks suspiciously like a weed. Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown3.jpg

6. Unknown shrub 4. Approx 4 feet high. Has small round green/white flowers
or buds. http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown4.jpg

7. Unknown shrub 5. Approx 4 feet high. Has one small red fruit that looks
like a jelly bean. Dont know when the flower appeared - never saw it.
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown5.jpg

8. Unknown plant 6. Again looks like a weed, rather than a plant.
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown6.jpg

Lastly, unknown tree. Its got a dark brown bark. Approxinately 12-16 feet
tall. I initially thought it might be Rowan - it had small white flowers in
late April/early May, but then when the leaves turned up they look nothing
like the photos from RHS. The flowers did not look like plum flowers either.
There are 2 photos - one of the tree and the other a close up of the leaves.
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/UnknownTree.jpg
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/...TreeLeaves.jpg

Thank you.

Prakash.

Old 25-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Kay

In article , Prakash
writes
Hi,
We moved into our house last Autumn and left the garden alone to see what
would turn up in the spring. Lots of stuff did Unfortunately most of them
weeds.
Among all that there are a few plants, shrubs, trees that I do not know -
all of them are probably pretty common as this garden seems to just grown
wild for a few years now. Your help in identifying these will be greatly
appreciated. For each of the plants there is a link to my site with the
photo.

1. Is this a plum ? The flower looks like the plums in the RHS books, but
the leaves dont. Its growing in a Laurel hedge. Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Plum.jpg

Hawthorn

Both plums and hawthorns are in the same family (the rose family) which
is why the flowers look similar.

2. Is this Lilac ? Any idea as to which variety ? Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/lilac.jpg

Yes. The species is Syringa vulgaris, but I wouldn't recognise any named
variety.

3. Unknown shrub 1. This is rather small - approx 2 feet high. Has small,
round white flowers that turn up in the spring. Most of them are gone now.
Photo : http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown1.jpg

Not sure about this. Looks a bit like Pyracantha, but mine isn't in
flower yet (though I'm in Yorkshire and things are very late in my
garden). Do a Google image search and see what you think. If it is
Pyracantha a) it should have thorns (acantha in the name means thorned)
b) it should be a lot bigger, so it's growing somewhere where it's very
unhappy.

4. Unknown plant 2. This is a small wispy plant - nice flowers though.
Started to flower a week ago. Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown2.jpg

Aquilegia the plants will die back and come up again next year, and it
will seed itself around quite freely. Comes in a range of colours - the
ones seeding themselves around my garden are white, pale pink, dark
pink, blue and purple, including bicolors - eg purple and white. You can
buy seeds of a lot of different varieties, including wider ranges of
colours (with reds and yellows for example), double flowered ones and so
on. It doesn't get in the way of anything, so it's worth leaving it
around for the sake of the welcome splodge of colour around now. Then
you can tidy it up once it's flowered and just leave a few in
inconspicuous places to seed themselves.

5. Unknown plant 3. Looks suspiciously like a weed. Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown3.jpg

Looks like a foxglove. Leave it and see.
Foxgloves grow readily from seed, growing a rosette of leaves the first
year and flowering the second year. After this they may carry on for
another year or two or they may die.

6. Unknown shrub 4. Approx 4 feet high. Has small round green/white flowers
or buds. http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown4.jpg

No idea at all!

7. Unknown shrub 5. Approx 4 feet high. Has one small red fruit that looks
like a jelly bean. Dont know when the flower appeared - never saw it.
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown5.jpg

??? Fuchsia? but the 'fruit' isn't right. ?? Symphoricarpos (snowberry)
- which have pink berries. You can tell I'm guessing, can't you! I
notice the leaves are 'opposite', ie in pairs which are opposite each
other on the stem, which limits the options quite a bit. Google on
Symphoricarpos and see what you think.

eg:
http://seemegarden.com/images/plants...enbosii_magic_
berry.jpg

8. Unknown plant 6. Again looks like a weed, rather than a plant.
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown6.jpg

Perennial cornflower. Really beautiful big blue flowers with delicate
finely-cut petals, one of my favourites. Tends to get mildew later in
the year - cut off affected stems and let the fresh new growth take
over.

Lastly, unknown tree. Its got a dark brown bark. Approxinately 12-16 feet
tall. I initially thought it might be Rowan - it had small white flowers in
late April/early May, but then when the leaves turned up they look nothing
like the photos from RHS. The flowers did not look like plum flowers either.
There are 2 photos - one of the tree and the other a close up of the leaves.
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/UnknownTree.jpg
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/...TreeLeaves.jpg

You're right it's not Rowan. In what way did the flowers not look like
plum flowers? Leaf picture is a bit out of focus, so I'm guessing a bit
- try one of the wild cherries - Prunus avium or Prunus padus
--
Kay

Old 25-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Jupiter

On Wed, 25 May 2005 22:20:46 +0100, "Prakash"
wrote:

[...]

Aquilega. Hardy perennial and will freely self-seed if you don't
deadhead all the flowers.

5. Unknown plant 3. Looks suspiciously like a weed. Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown3.jpg

Poss. Valerian. Not pernicious and has attractive flowers.

6. Unknown shrub 4. Approx 4 feet high. Has small round green/white flowers
or buds. http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown4.jpg

7. Unknown shrub 5. Approx 4 feet high. Has one small red fruit that looks
like a jelly bean. Dont know when the flower appeared - never saw it.
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown5.jpg

8. Unknown plant 6. Again looks like a weed, rather than a plant.
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown6.jpg

Poss. Cornflower. Nice blue flower, will self-seed. Worth keeping.

Old 25-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Bob Hobden

"Prakash" wrote
[...]

1. Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna)
2. Lilac (Syringa vulgaris )
3. ? Quince???
4. Aquilegia ... these will seed around but may not come true to colour.
5. Foxglove... beautiful British native, will also seed around but not
invade.
6. ?
7. ?
8. Cornflower...another beautiful British native (Centaurea cyanus)
9. ?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 26-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Kay

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

1. Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna)
2. Lilac (Syringa vulgaris )

3. ? Quince???

As in Chaenomeles (japanese quince)? I wondered, but though there are
pale flowered cultivars, I don't think there are any white flowered
ones, are there?

4. Aquilegia ... these will seed around but may not come true to colour.
5. Foxglove... beautiful British native, will also seed around but not
invade.
6. ?
7. ?
8. Cornflower...another beautiful British native (Centaurea cyanus)

No, not cyanus. It's the perennial one, C montana. Leaves are far too
broad for cyanus. And I don't think cyanus has those black fringes on
the sepals.

9. ?

--
Kay

Old 26-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Serena Blanchflower

On Thu, 26 May 2005 17:22:34 +0100, Kay wrote:

As in Chaenomeles (japanese quince)? I wondered, but though there are
pale flowered cultivars, I don't think there are any white flowered
ones, are there?

Yes, Chaenomeles Speciiosa Nivalis is white - I've got a couple on my
front wall. I reckon that could well be what the OP has got.

--
Cheers, Serena
To keep a lamp burning, we have to keep putting oil in it (Mother
Old 26-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Kay
writes
[...]

Both plums (the whole genus Prunus) and the common Hawthorn have just a
single style, so the flowers look even more similar than just the family
resemblance. I think they're the only plants (possibly also some genera
closely related to Prunus) in the family with a single style.

3. Unknown shrub 1. This is rather small - approx 2 feet high. Has small,
round white flowers that turn up in the spring. Most of them are gone now.
Photo : http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown1.jpg

Not sure about this. Looks a bit like Pyracantha, but mine isn't in
flower yet (though I'm in Yorkshire and things are very late in my
garden). Do a Google image search and see what you think. If it is
Pyracantha a) it should have thorns (acantha in the name means thorned)
b) it should be a lot bigger, so it's growing somewhere where it's very
unhappy.

It's too early for Pyracantha most places. Ditto Cotoneasters, but
that's a big genus and maybe there's an early form. I'd think that the
small flowers would cut out the other suggestion of Chaenomeles.

5. Unknown plant 3. Looks suspiciously like a weed. Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown3.jpg

Looks like a foxglove. Leave it and see.
Foxgloves grow readily from seed, growing a rosette of leaves the first
year and flowering the second year. After this they may carry on for
another year or two or they may die.

I'd've guessed Verbascum phoeniceum, but I wouldn't be confident of
distinguishing the two, in vegative state, from a photo.

6. Unknown shrub 4. Approx 4 feet high. Has small round green/white flowers
or buds. http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown4.jpg

No idea at all!

Should be obvious with hindsight, but I'm stumped as well.

7. Unknown shrub 5. Approx 4 feet high. Has one small red fruit that looks
like a jelly bean. Dont know when the flower appeared - never saw it.
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown5.jpg

??? Fuchsia? but the 'fruit' isn't right. ?? Symphoricarpos (snowberry)
- which have pink berries. You can tell I'm guessing, can't you! I
notice the leaves are 'opposite', ie in pairs which are opposite each
other on the stem, which limits the options quite a bit. Google on
Symphoricarpos and see what you think.

eg:
http://seemegarden.com/images/plants...enbosii_magic_
berry.jpg

Symphoricarpos berries are spherical. I don't think any of the coloured
forms (coralberry) have berries that deep in colour either.

The berry may be left over from last year. It could be some form of
honeysuckle (Lonicera) but I'm just guessing as well.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Bob Hobden
writes

1. Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna)
2. Lilac (Syringa vulgaris )

3. ? Quince???

As in Chaenomeles (japanese quince)? I wondered, but though there are
pale flowered cultivars, I don't think there are any white flowered
ones, are there?

Yes Kay, its called C. 'Nivalis'

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes
3. Unknown shrub 1. This is rather small - approx 2 feet high. Has small,
round white flowers that turn up in the spring. Most of them are gone now.
Photo : http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown1.jpg

Not sure about this. Looks a bit like Pyracantha, but mine isn't in
flower yet (though I'm in Yorkshire and things are very late in my
garden). Do a Google image search and see what you think. If it is
Pyracantha a) it should have thorns (acantha in the name means thorned)
b) it should be a lot bigger, so it's growing somewhere where it's very
unhappy.

I'd have said Chaenomele Kay, but you'd recognise the flowers easier.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay
writes
3. Unknown shrub 1. This is rather small - approx 2 feet high. Has small,
round white flowers that turn up in the spring. Most of them are gone now.
Photo : http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown1.jpg

Not sure about this. Looks a bit like Pyracantha, but mine isn't in
flower yet (though I'm in Yorkshire and things are very late in my
garden). Do a Google image search and see what you think. If it is
Pyracantha a) it should have thorns (acantha in the name means thorned)
b) it should be a lot bigger, so it's growing somewhere where it's very
unhappy.

I'd have said Chaenomele Kay, but you'd recognise the flowers easier.

So would I, but I didn't know at the time that there was a white
flowered one!
--
Kay

Old 03-06-2005, 06:47 AM
Prakash

My thanks to all of you who took the time to reply to my post.
I guess the only one unclear was the last item - the tree. I took a few
twigs with leaves on them to the local garden center - they reckon its a
type of Birch. Could that be correct ?

Once again, thanks for taking the time.

Prakash.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Kay

In article ,
Prakash writes
My thanks to all of you who took the time to reply to my post.
I guess the only one unclear was the last item - the tree. I took a few
twigs with leaves on them to the local garden center - they reckon its a
type of Birch. Could that be correct ?

Very hard to tell - the pic is out of focus. I wouldn't necessarily
trust a garden centre to identify - try taking it to your local
council's tree officer.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Prakash

Kay,
Thanks. I will do that.

Prakash.
"Kay" wrote in message
In article ,
Prakash writes

Old 09-06-2005, 12:28 AM
CK

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Bob Hobden
writes

1. Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna)
2. Lilac (Syringa vulgaris )

3. ? Quince???

As in Chaenomeles (japanese quince)? I wondered, but though there are
pale flowered cultivars, I don't think there are any white flowered
ones, are there?

Yes Kay, its called C. 'Nivalis'

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I think that No 5 is the winter-flowering shrubby honeysuckle 'Lonicera
fragrantissima'. Small highly scented flowers of bare stems.

Could No. 4 be Portulacca???

Unknown tree looks like a Damson possibly.

Hope this helps,
Chris from Somerset