Old 26-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Registered User

Red face Conifer hedge - recommendations

Can anyone recommend a slow growing conifer for the south of England- getting afternoon and evening sun (south west position). I am replacing a conifer hedge that got too tall and untidy, needing too much trimming! I would like a maximum height of 2m. to 3m., conical shape, low maintenance - and if the trees are spaced far enough apart they remain as a row of nice specimen trees rather forming a dense hedge.

The person who removed the old trees has recommended 3 but my research has been very confusing.
1. chamaecyparis lawsoniana ellwoodii - which he said he could get in blue or gold but info I'm reading seems the gold ones have different names and characteristics.
2. Picea Alberta conica: I can only find one called Picea Glauca Conica or Dwarf Albert Spruce and it said that one doesn't like intense sunlight.
3. Juniperus squamata Blue Arrow : I think he meant Scopulorum Blue Arrow (which is a bit too narrow) all the Squamata named ones seem to be low growing and I could'nt find a blue arrow!
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 26-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Des Higgins

"me2intheUK" wrote in message

Can anyone recommend a slow growing conifer for the south of England-
getting afternoon and evening sun (south west position). I am replacing
a conifer hedge that got too tall and untidy, needing too much trimming!
I would like a maximum height of 2m. to 3m., conical shape, low
maintenance - and if the trees are spaced far enough apart they remain
as a row of nice specimen trees rather forming a dense hedge.

Yew (Taxus)?
It is very slow growing and is even native.
It does easily form a very dense hedge but the trees are good although it
may take a while to reach a nice size.
The only variety that I know is the usual upright one (fastigiata?) which is
actually from Ireland originally and you see it in church and grave yards
everywhere.

--
me2intheUK

Old 26-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 26 May 2005 11:39:19 +0000, me2intheUK
wrote:

[...]

In general, conifers don't shoot up to the height you want and then
obligingly stop. If you want ones that slow up around 2 - 3 metres
(they never actually stop), they'll take say ten years to get there.
If you want that height in three years or so, be prepared to clip them
as they'll go much higher if allowed.

The golden varieties of C.l. Ellwoodii (e.g. C.l. Ellwood's Gold) are
usually smaller and/or slower growing. But C.l. Lanei or C.l. Lutea
are golden and will make 2+ metres in 10 years. C.l. Stewartii, Erecta
and Fletcheri get a little taller and aren't golden.

Picea glauca Albertiana Conica (which I think is what you/he means) is
surely too small for hedging: about 1 metre high after 10 years.

J. squamata and its varieties tend to be spreading rather than
upright, unlike J. scopulorum types which are upright and mostly
narrow.

I've seen the following recommended for hedging:

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana
Taxus baccata
Tsuga canadensis
Tsuga heterophylla
Thuja plicata
Thuja occidentalis

In addition to the C. lawsoniana varieties I mentioned earlier, have a
look at Thuja plicata zebrina and T. occidentalis Smaragd. Taxus
baccata is upright and not particularly conical. Tsuga canadensis is
similar in shape to T. heterophylla and ultimately smaller, but both
may be a bit tall for you if you're not planning a closely planted,
dense clipped hedge.

--
Chris

Old 27-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Registered User

[quote=me2intheUK]Can anyone recommend a slow growing conifer for the south of England- getting afternoon and evening sun (south west position). I am replacing a conifer hedge that got too tall and untidy, needing too much trimming! I would like a maximum height of 2m. to 3m., conical shape, low maintenance - and if the trees are spaced far enough apart they remain as a row of nice specimen trees rather forming a dense hedge.

Thanks for the replies - I'm new to forums as you may have quessed with my question being accidentally posted a number of times (can I remove the other postings anyway?) I hadn't proof read it properly and missed out the word "than" - as in rather than a dense hedge - ie I want them to remain as specimen trees - not forming a dense hedge. I appreciate your time and trouble!
me2intheUK