GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Organic/non-organic fertilisers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/94788-organic-non-organic-fertilisers.html)

rosie 26-05-2005 04:34 PM

Organic/non-organic fertilisers

I've switched to chemical fertiliser this year for my lawn. Reason is that I'm sick of being ripped off for increasingly expensive bags of chicken and cow manure. 4 euros now gives me enough fertiliser for the whole season for two lawns. I wonder if grass really minds where it's N-P-K comes from. . .

Mike Lyle 26-05-2005 10:05 PM

rosie wrote:
I've switched to chemical fertiliser this year for my lawn. Reason

is
that I'm sick of being ripped off for increasingly expensive bags

of
chicken and cow manure. 4 euros now gives me enough fertiliser for

the
whole season for two lawns. I wonder if grass really minds where

it's
N-P-K comes from. . .

No, of course grass doesn't mind where its NP and K come from (not
that those are the only nutrients a plant needs). The point of
organic methods is to take a whole-system view, mimicking or taking
advantage of natural processes, in order to set up long-term
sustainability, and reducing dependence on oil. There's quite a bit
about it in this group's FAQ, and there are many books. You might
like to look at HDRA and Soil Association on the Web.

(You may not need to feed your lawn all that much, anyhow.)

--
Mike.

Alan Gould 27-05-2005 07:24 AM

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
(You may not need to feed your lawn all that much, anyhow.)

I never feed mine, its clover content does most of that. Occasionally I
leave the collector box off the mower and leave the cuttings as feed.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.