GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best tomato (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/94852-best-tomato.html)

Harold Walker 27-05-2005 01:22 PM

Best tomato

What do y'all on tother side of the big pond consider to be the best tasting
tomato(es)?

Chris Bacon 27-05-2005 02:28 PM

Tone wrote:
"Harold Walker" wrote:
What do y'all on tother side of the big pond consider to be the best
tasting tomato(es)?

Who's 'yall' ?

Someone in the U.S.A., I imagine - after all, he's psoting in u.r.g,
so "the other side of the big pond" is likely to be the U.S.A.

Pam Moore 27-05-2005 02:58 PM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 08:22:17 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

What do y'all on tother side of the big pond consider to be the best tasting
tomato(es)?

Cherry tomatoes, particularly Gardeners' delight and Sungold.
BTW folks, note the "tother" which suggests a Yorkshireman!

Pam in Bristol

Harold Walker 27-05-2005 04:22 PM

wrote:

What do y'all on tother side of the big pond consider to be the best
tasting
tomato(es)?

Who's 'yall' ?

Y'all meaning all those Brits residing in the UK/////H

--

Just livin the Vida Sofa

Harold Walker 27-05-2005 04:24 PM

wrote:

What do y'all on tother side of the big pond consider to be the best
tasting
tomato(es)?

Cherry tomatoes, particularly Gardeners' delight and Sungold.
BTW folks, note the "tother" which suggests a Yorkshireman!

Pam in Bristol

aye lass it does indeed...born and bred their but asconded to the colony
west of Ireland...H

Theo Markettos 27-05-2005 06:35 PM

Harold Walker wrote:
aye lass it does indeed...born and bred their but asconded to the colony
west of Ireland...H

You mean Rockall? That means you must be a gannet? :-)

Theo

Harold Walker 27-05-2005 07:24 PM

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
Harold Walker wrote:
aye lass it does indeed...born and bred their but asconded to the colony
west of Ireland...H

You mean Rockall? That means you must be a gannet? :-)
Theo

Have seen many a gannet in my days but have not been elevated to their
hights yet....my tomato plants might soar into the air but my feet are still
firmly planted on the ground.H

pammyT 28-05-2005 12:19 PM

"Harold Walker" wrote in message
What do y'all on tother side of the big pond consider to be the best

tasting
tomato(es)?

I like 'Romano' a plum tomato.

Jaques d'Alltrades 28-05-2005 07:48 PM

The message
from Theo Markettos contains these words:
Harold Walker wrote:

aye lass it does indeed...born and bred their but asconded to the colony
west of Ireland...H

You mean Rockall? That means you must be a gannet? :-)

Don't be silly - Rockall's Rockall use to live on - it's often under
water. He means St. Kilda, of course. (Or Hirta, for those in the know.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Phil L 28-05-2005 08:23 PM

Harold Walker wrote:
:: What do y'all on tother side of the big pond consider to be the
:: best tasting tomato(es)?

Any tomato which has been growing in the recent past! - seriously, any kind
of greenhose tomato is better than the most expensive supermarket ones, they
have an aroma / taste, which shop bought ones do not have.

Personally I like Moneymaker and Shirley, especially when they are slighlty
underripe and melted with some strong cheese, cherry toms are OK for salads,
kebabs, packed lunches or just eating while you are watering...

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Harold Walker 28-05-2005 08:29 PM

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Harold Walker wrote:
:: What do y'all on tother side of the big pond consider to be the
:: best tasting tomato(es)?

Any tomato which has been growing in the recent past! - seriously, any
kind
of greenhose tomato is better than the most expensive supermarket ones,
they
have an aroma / taste, which shop bought ones do not have.

Personally I like Moneymaker and Shirley, especially when they are
slighlty
underripe and melted with some strong cheese, cherry toms are OK for
salads,
kebabs, packed lunches or just eating while you are watering...

I remember growing MoneyMaker back in the 30's....and dad before that....an
old timer indeed is Moneymake

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Jaques d'Alltrades 29-05-2005 09:41 AM

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:
Harold Walker wrote:

:: What do y'all on tother side of the big pond consider to be the
:: best tasting tomato(es)?

Any tomato which has been growing in the recent past! - seriously, any kind
of greenhose tomato is better than the most expensive supermarket ones, they
have an aroma / taste, which shop bought ones do not have.

Personally I like Moneymaker and Shirley, especially when they are slighlty
underripe and melted with some strong cheese, cherry toms are OK for salads,
kebabs, packed lunches or just eating while you are watering...

I really can't let that pass unremarked: Moneymaker, if given loving
care and lots of proper feed is almost edible, otherwise it's about as
appetising as a wet dishcloth. In my estimation it's a weed.

Shirley though, is excellent. Alicante (in the Moneymaker family) is
also IMO of good flavour. I don't like the little tomatoes much as the
skins tend to be very tough.

Phil L 29-05-2005 03:17 PM

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

::
:: I really can't let that pass unremarked: Moneymaker, if given
:: loving care and lots of proper feed is almost edible, otherwise
:: it's about as appetising as a wet dishcloth. In my estimation it's
:: a weed.
::
Each to his own I suppose! - I like MM in cooked dishes, especially curries
and chillis....I've grown Shirley this year and they are a good all round
tom, cooking, salads sandwiches etc - I've never actually grown MM, but my
dad used to grow them on and off along with a few other varieties.

:: Shirley though, is excellent. Alicante (in the Moneymaker family)
:: is also IMO of good flavour. I don't like the little tomatoes much
:: as the skins tend to be very tough.
::

I like a tomato with a bit of tang, hence my recommendation for partially
ripened ones with melted cheddar!

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Jaques d'Alltrades 29-05-2005 08:22 PM

The message
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

:: I really can't let that pass unremarked: Moneymaker, if given
:: loving care and lots of proper feed is almost edible, otherwise
:: it's about as appetising as a wet dishcloth. In my estimation it's
:: a weed.
::
Each to his own I suppose! - I like MM in cooked dishes, especially curries
and chillis....I've grown Shirley this year and they are a good all round
tom, cooking, salads sandwiches etc - I've never actually grown MM, but my
dad used to grow them on and off along with a few other varieties.

Try Romano (plum) tomatoes for cooking - they knock seven varieties of
spots off Moneymaker.

:: Shirley though, is excellent. Alicante (in the Moneymaker family)
:: is also IMO of good flavour. I don't like the little tomatoes much
:: as the skins tend to be very tough.
::

I like a tomato with a bit of tang, hence my recommendation for partially
ripened ones with melted cheddar!

Shirley has a tang (and flavour) when ripe, as does Ailsa Craig.

Harold Walker 29-05-2005 10:23 PM

k...
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

[...]

Miracle Sweet has a real nice flavor sweetish but with just the right amount
of tang.........H
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Steve Harris 01-06-2005 09:59 AM

In article ,
(Pam Moore) wrote:

Gardeners' delight

Absolutely, although this year, I'm also trying Black Russian, Yellow
Perfection and Tigerella

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Jupiter 01-06-2005 12:36 PM

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:59 +0100 (BST), (Steve Harris)
wrote:

In article ,
(Pam Moore) wrote:

Gardeners' delight

Absolutely, although this year, I'm also trying Black Russian, Yellow
Perfection and Tigerella

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

I'm trying Gardener's Delight for the first time this year. but I've
seen conflicting advice about side shoots. Should they be removed or
should the plant be allowed to bush?

Jaques d'Alltrades 01-06-2005 03:37 PM

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:
In article ,
(Pam Moore) wrote:

Gardeners' delight

Absolutely, although this year, I'm also trying Black Russian, Yellow
Perfection and Tigerella

There's a new one coming onto the market called Zebra. I think it must
have spots on...

D,R,AH

Jaques d'Alltrades 01-06-2005 04:00 PM

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

I'm trying Gardener's Delight for the first time this year. but I've
seen conflicting advice about side shoots. Should they be removed or
should the plant be allowed to bush?

Depends how far apart they are, and on whether you want a smaller number
of large tomatoes, or a lot more smaller ones.

Personally, I go for the latter, and seldom pinch out all the side
shoots from any tomato plant. You might need to feed them a bit more,
though.

Jupiter 01-06-2005 07:08 PM

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:00:06 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

I'm trying Gardener's Delight for the first time this year. but I've
seen conflicting advice about side shoots. Should they be removed or
should the plant be allowed to bush?

Depends how far apart they are, and on whether you want a smaller number
of large tomatoes, or a lot more smaller ones.

Personally, I go for the latter, and seldom pinch out all the side
shoots from any tomato plant. You might need to feed them a bit more,
though.

Thanks. I'll try it each way on different plants.

Steve Harris 01-06-2005 07:32 PM

In article ,
(Jupiter) wrote:

Gardener's Delight for the first time this year. but I've
seen conflicting advice about side shoots. Should they be removed or
should the plant be allowed to bush?

Conventional wisdom is to remove side shots.

Jaques d'Alltrades 01-06-2005 09:22 PM

The message
(Jupiter) wrote:

Gardener's Delight for the first time this year. but I've
seen conflicting advice about side shoots. Should they be removed or
should the plant be allowed to bush?

Conventional wisdom is to remove side shots.

I put that down to the gardening faction which always wants the biggest
and best-looking specimens for showing (off). I've tried it both ways,
and as I sold the tomatoes by the pound, I chose the more profitable
option.

Leaving some laterals on when well into the season increased the
eventual yield, and the slightly smaller later tomatoes had a more
concentrated flavour.

I used to have about 24 Alicante, 20 Ailsa Craig and 24 Shirley, most
years, and any excess seedlings planted out, with none of the
side-shoots pinched out.

The outside ones were divine: small, firm and packed with flavour, and
at the end of the season, there were plenty of green ones for chutney.
Mind you, the soil in the greenhouse and any beds was rather, er, rich,
as I had fourteen goats and a few hundred rabbits. Though I had poultry
too, most of them were free-range (on another site) and what chicken
shmanure I did collect went on the compost.

I had some excellent rhubarb, too.

Alan Gould 02-06-2005 05:53 AM

In article , Jupiter
writes

I'm trying Gardener's Delight for the first time this year. but I've
seen conflicting advice about side shoots. Should they be removed or
should the plant be allowed to bush?

Gardener's Delight can be either grown as a bush, i.e. leaving the side
shoots on, or as a cordon, pinching them out. The difference is the
number and size of tomatoes the plant will produce. G.D. can also be
grown indoors or outdoors. We have normally grown them as cordons
indoors and bush outdoors, mainly on grounds of space required, but this
year we are trying them outside as cordons. I planted out four of them
yesterday with their first trusses of flowers already showing, and all
side-shoots pinched out.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Pam Moore 02-06-2005 01:15 PM

wrote:

What do y'all on tother side of the big pond consider to be the best tasting
tomato(es)?

Just received July copy of GW mag. Monty's favourite varieties a
Andine Cornue, San Marzano 2 (never heard of those) Brandywine (Bob
Flowerdew has also recommended this) Black Russian and finally
Gardeners' Delight. Can't say if it tells us where to buy the seeds of
the unusual ones. Anyone know?

Pam in Bristol

[email protected] 02-06-2005 01:15 PM

my favourite tomato experiance so far (in my short growing experiance)
was last year have a tomato salad of yellow-orange sungella, orange-red
gardeners delight and red-pink tumbling toms. A feast for the eyes as
well as for the tum. From now on im going to try and get as much colour
and variety into my tomato crop as possible.
sarah

Klara 02-06-2005 01:54 PM

In message , Pam Moore
writes

Just received July copy of GW mag. Monty's favourite varieties a
Andine Cornue, San Marzano 2 (never heard of those) Brandywine (Bob
Flowerdew has also recommended this) Black Russian and finally
Gardeners' Delight. Can't say if it tells us where to buy the seeds of
the unusual ones. Anyone know?

Pam in Bristol

Found this:

http://www.gardenpassion.cfdeveloper...m?recordID=164

looks like someone who doesn't sell seeds but trades them? In Hungary,
but that should be ok by post. They have an enormous number of tomato
and pepper seeds....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Theo Markettos 02-06-2005 02:16 PM

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
There's a new one coming onto the market called Zebra. I think it must
have spots on...

There was an item on You and Yours (R4) yesterday about the 'Strawmato'
which apparently looks like a strawberry but tastes like a very sweet
tomato. Recommended for eating with chocolate.

I think I'll pass, myself...

theo

Alan R Williams 02-06-2005 02:41 PM

Theo Markettos wrote:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

There's a new one coming onto the market called Zebra. I think it must
have spots on...

There was an item on You and Yours (R4) yesterday about the 'Strawmato'
which apparently looks like a strawberry but tastes like a very sweet
tomato. Recommended for eating with chocolate.

The blurb at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/ne...00/4597975.stm
is very odd. Lots of tomatoes can already be "eaten in salads, as a
snack on its own". Is this just an admission that a lot of tomatoes
sold in supermarkets are practically tasteless?

I think I'll pass, myself...

The chocolate sounds a good idea though.

theo

Alan

Mike Lyle 02-06-2005 04:36 PM

Alan R Williams wrote:
Theo Markettos wrote:

[...]
There was an item on You and Yours (R4) yesterday about the
'Strawmato' which apparently looks like a strawberry but tastes

like
a very sweet tomato. Recommended for eating with chocolate.

[...]
I think I'll pass, myself...

The chocolate sounds a good idea though.

I detest the idea that tomatoes should be sweet: sugar is not
flavour. But I did once experimentally make a sweet pie with tomatoes
and sugar, as one might with apples or plums etc, just to see what
it'd be like. It was horrible.

--
Mike.

Jaques d'Alltrades 02-06-2005 06:35 PM

The message
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
There's a new one coming onto the market called Zebra. I think it must
have spots on...

There was an item on You and Yours (R4) yesterday about the 'Strawmato'
which apparently looks like a strawberry but tastes like a very sweet
tomato. Recommended for eating with chocolate.

I don't remember the 'sreawmato' bit, but I do remember hearing (very
recently) a recommendation of dipping cherry tomatoes in dark chocolate.

I think I'll pass, myself...

Yes. I prefer to dip crystallised ginger in the dark chocolate.

Alan Gould 02-06-2005 07:31 PM

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
I detest the idea that tomatoes should be sweet: sugar is not
flavour. But I did once experimentally make a sweet pie with tomatoes
and sugar, as one might with apples or plums etc, just to see what
it'd be like. It was horrible.

I agree with that. There's a trend towards sweetness in lots of
foodstuffs, both grown and manufactured, mostly quite unnecessary and
spoiling the true flavour. If some sweetness is required either for
personal taste, or because the dish is too sharp, sugar can help, but we
tend to use honey in cases like that.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Jaques d'Alltrades 04-06-2005 12:21 AM

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

'sreawmato'

How did that happen? (I'm sure that's not what I tryped!)

Jaques d'Alltrades 04-06-2005 12:25 AM

The message
from jane contains these words:

Now fresh ones are a different story (she says, reaching for a punnet
of cherry tomatoes kept for snacking on... roll on my own crop...)

IRTA 'roll my own crop'...

But I wouldn't roll on it if I were you: squished tomatoes make a mess
of your clothes, and even if you take them off first, the pips hide in
yer wrinkles and germinate when you're having tea with the Queen.