Old 30-05-2005, 05:11 PM
spakker

Default budget garden shredder.

Are any budget shredders upto the job as claimed? Any recommendations for a
reasonably priced shredder?Tia.

Old 30-05-2005, 05:42 PM
spakker

I've done a groups search but you won't believe how useless it is Try it
yourself

Old 30-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Mike Lyle

"spakker" wrote in message
Are any budget shredders upto the job as claimed? Any
recommendations for a reasonably priced shredder?Tia.

I tried, maybe using a different method, and got the following:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...6ffbd 79f4a85

Don't know if that's the same one you got. There seems to be some
good advice the I don't use them myself, but I reckon second-hand
is a good idea, as many people seem to buy them because they think
you have to for some reason (you don't, of course), and then quietly
get rid of them a few years later, barely used.

For more threads, try: Advanced groups search, uk.rec.gardening
in "from the group" box, shredder in the "where the subject-line
contains" box. (For some Googly reason I couldn't paste the URL:
sorry.)

What does the shredder have to do for its living?

--
Mike.

Old 31-05-2005, 03:53 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

spakker wrote:
Are any budget shredders upto the job as claimed? Any recommendations
for a reasonably priced shredder?Tia.

My father bought himself a Bosch shredder for his birthday to replace an
Aldo which had served him well for about 15 years. I believe (though don't
quote me on this) it's the ATX 180 Rapid Shredder. Amazon has it for just
under £125 (with free delivery). It could have been the next model up (both
look very similar - the only difference is (as is obvious by the name) one
has a 1800W motor, the other 2000). The difference in the price is around
£50.

I'll have a look in the shed, when I fill the bird feeders in the morning,
and get you the exact details

Sarah

Old 31-05-2005, 09:34 AM
spakker

I tried, maybe using a different method, and got the following:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...6ffbd 79f4a85

Don't know if that's the same one you got. There seems to be some
good advice the I don't use them myself, but I reckon second-hand
is a good idea, as many people seem to buy them because they think
you have to for some reason (you don't, of course), and then quietly
get rid of them a few years later, barely used.

For more threads, try: Advanced groups search, uk.rec.gardening
in "from the group" box, shredder in the "where the subject-line
contains" box. (For some Googly reason I couldn't paste the URL:
sorry.)

What does the shredder have to do for its living?

--
Mike.

The idea of a shredder appeals two-fold -quicker composting ,and also there
seems to be a very good argument for mulching. We have90 yds.privet (which
I'm gradually taking out) with a lot of unknown blackthorn/wild
plum/greengauge sort of things-one of which has been allowed in the past to
become a tree with a 2ft.+diameter trunk. Thanks for replies.

Old 31-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Draven

"spakker" wrote in message
[...]

I bought one off of my mate. It's good if you have a lot of stuff to feed
it.
The sharpness of the blades is the most important factor.

Only downside is that it can be quite noisy and will quickly ruin the
neighbours Sunday afternoon relaxation.

Old 31-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Victoria Clare

"Draven" wrote in
k:

"spakker" wrote in message
Are any budget shredders upto the job as claimed? Any
recommendations for a reasonably priced shredder?Tia.

I bought one off of my mate. It's good if you have a lot of stuff to
feed it.
The sharpness of the blades is the most important factor.

Only downside is that it can be quite noisy and will quickly ruin the
neighbours Sunday afternoon relaxation.

I have a Bosch one with a screw rather than blades. It seems to be able to
digest more and faster than a similar bladed one that my neighbours bought,
and is also quieter.

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 31-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Mike Lyle

spakker wrote:
[...]

That sounds like a good case for a shredder.

--
Mike.

Old 31-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Perspicacia Tick
spakker wrote:
Are any budget shredders upto the job as claimed? Any recommendations
for a reasonably priced shredder?Tia.

My father bought himself a Bosch shredder for his birthday to replace an
Aldo which had served him well for about 15 years. I believe (though don't
quote me on this) it's the ATX 180 Rapid Shredder. Amazon has it for just
under £125 (with free delivery). It could have been the next model up (both
look very similar - the only difference is (as is obvious by the name) one
has a 1800W motor, the other 2000). The difference in the price is around
£50.

I'll have a look in the shed, when I fill the bird feeders in the morning,
and get you the exact details

Sarah

I bought a shredder recently and based on online research I finished up with a Bosch XT 2000 HP for £200. I'm very pleased with it. It's easy to operate and is fairly quiet.

In a nutshell, It seems that if you go for the cheaper ones they work via a rather noisy cutting disk rather a worm gear and don't last as long.
Old 31-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Richard

I bought a Black & Decker GS1800 last year for £80 ... it shreds reasonably
well but does get stuck a lot and requires unclogging ... the blades wore
down remarkably quickly and it was hard to switch them round (despite loads
of WD40) ... its fine for occassional use.

"Draven" wrote in message
k...

Old 01-06-2005, 09:30 AM
JB

On Mon, 30 May 2005 17:11:39 +0100, "spakker"
wrote:

Are any budget shredders upto the job as claimed? Any recommendations for a
reasonably priced shredder?Tia.

I tried a budget shredder a couple of years ago. It stalled on medium
- large materials, clogged the blades and was phenomenally noisy. In
my experience it is worth avoiding the budget options as they're very
expensive given that they don't work that well.

JB

Old 01-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

wrote:

Are any budget shredders upto the job as claimed? Any
recommendations for a reasonably priced shredder?Tia.

I tried a budget shredder a couple of years ago. It stalled on medium
- large materials, clogged the blades and was phenomenally noisy. In
my experience it is worth avoiding the budget options as they're very
expensive given that they don't work that well.

JB

IOW, you get what you pay for... ;o)