Old 02-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Judith Lea wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
This shows the difference between the sexes. We males wear
splatchers, especially when cooking so, when the soup boils over,
we needn't do anything until we have finished our beer.

What are splatchers?

Snowshoes for mud :-)

It appears not to be in the OED, which is definitely not right.

Right, here we go on an Arthur Ransome trip. It was in one of the
ones away from the Lake District and the Broads, no? They kept
finding these mysterious prints in the mud at low water, and had
begun to theorize that there was a brontosaurus or something in the
vicinity (sounds like Titty's thought-processes to me), until they
met the local boy who used them. I had the impression that the word
had been invented for the book.

But, if not Ransome, perhaps Aubrey de Selincourt or some other boaty
children's writer?

--
Mike.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin wrote:
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:25:38 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

What are splatchers?

Snowshoes for mud :-)

It appears not to be in the OED, which is definitely not right.

Nor Chambers.

Were/are they worn on the fens? I haven't heard of them before.

Essex.

That could well be right. I thought that they were used in the
Fenland, but the Thames estuary and/or Broads are equally plausible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:23 PM

Mike Lyle wrote:
[[splatchers]]
But, if not Ransome, perhaps Aubrey de Selincourt or some other boaty
children's writer?

Right first time. It was Ransome.

Old 02-06-2005, 08:32 PM

"Mike Lyle" writes:

Right, here we go on an Arthur Ransome trip. It was in one of the
ones away from the Lake District and the Broads, no? They kept
finding these mysterious prints in the mud at low water, and had
begun to theorize that there was a brontosaurus

"Secret Water" and the Mastodon. Loosely based on the area just north
of Walton on the Naze.

Anthony

Old 03-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Judith Lea

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
Can I get pink ones?

Janet.

Can I get gold ones?
--
Judith Lea

Need help finding a Henri water wheel. Lighted water wheel DD DDD Ponds 0 19-08-2005 05:34 AM
Re(2): High Wheel Cultivators Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 1 09-10-2003 07:42 AM
High Wheel Cultivators Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 5 08-10-2003 08:05 AM
Mower Wheel Removal Help! Niel Lawns 1 07-09-2003 03:06 AM
Wheel Replacement on Mountfield M3 Lawnmower Chris United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 10:20 AM