Old 30-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Tim Guy

Default Wheel Barrows

Strange question I know.

Id like a buy a Wheel Barrow for a gardeners birthday.

Are there recognised makes as being the Ferrari of the Wheel Barrow world?

Cheers

Tim

Old 30-05-2005, 08:39 PM
shazzbat

"Tim Guy" wrote in message
Strange question I know.

Id like a buy a Wheel Barrow for a gardeners birthday.

Are there recognised makes as being the Ferrari of the Wheel Barrow world?

No, but there are one or two Minardis. :-))

Old 31-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Warwick

shazzbat wrote:

"Tim Guy" wrote in message
Strange question I know.

Id like a buy a Wheel Barrow for a gardeners birthday.

Are there recognised makes as being the Ferrari of the Wheel Barrow
world?

No, but there are one or two Minardis. :-))

Which leaves me wondering what the Jordan wheelbarrow would look like...

Warwick
Old 31-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Brian Watson

"Warwick" wrote in message

Which leaves me wondering what the Jordan wheelbarrow would look like...

Balanced evenly from side to side but slightly unstable and likely to tip
forward.

HTH.

--
Brian
"Anyway, if you have been, thanks for listening."

Old 31-05-2005, 08:58 AM
davek

"Tim Guy" wrote in message
Strange question I know.

Id like a buy a Wheel Barrow for a gardeners birthday.

Are there recognised makes as being the Ferrari of the Wheel Barrow world?

Wouldn't think so, but I'd get a heavy duty builders barrow. Then it won't
fall to bits on the odd occasion when it's used for moving concrete. Unless
they're good at mending punctures, one with a sold tyre.
DaveK.

Old 31-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Paul D.Smith

"davek" wrote in message

"Tim Guy" wrote in message
Strange question I know.

Id like a buy a Wheel Barrow for a gardeners birthday.

Are there recognised makes as being the Ferrari of the Wheel Barrow

world?

Wouldn't think so, but I'd get a heavy duty builders barrow. Then it won't
fall to bits on the odd occasion when it's used for moving concrete.

Unless
they're good at mending punctures, one with a sold tyre.
DaveK.

I've had a builders barrow for sometime and, unless they're driven over
broken glass or barbed wire regularly, I'd go for a pneumatic as they run a
little more softly and are therefore "a nicer drive". FWIW, I've never
(touches wood rapidly) had a puncture and spare wheels are easy to come by
anyway.

Perhaps someone else can buy a bicycle repair kit (just in case) and a
footpump as a secondary present. Mine likes a little extra air every couple
of months.

Paul DS.

Old 31-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Henry

I've had a builders barrow for sometime and, unless they're driven over
broken glass or barbed wire regularly, I'd go for a pneumatic as they run
little more softly and are therefore "a nicer drive". FWIW, I've never
(touches wood rapidly) had a puncture and spare wheels are easy to come by
anyway.

Perhaps someone else can buy a bicycle repair kit (just in case) and a
footpump as a secondary present. Mine likes a little extra air every
couple
of months.

Our builders barrow punctured just once at a very unhelpful moment, a thorn
from the shredded hedge clippings my wife had helpfully spread along the
path. I'm thinking of getting a tube of the prophylactic gloop that's
designed to go into bike tires to deal with holes as they happen. We also
have a solid wheeled garden barrow and the pneumatic tired barrow is much
nicer to push.

Henry

Old 31-05-2005, 10:54 AM
RichardS

"Henry" wrote in message ...

[...]

about 17 years ago (gulp!) when I was riding my old cycle to and from
university I was plagued by a series of punctures (probably picked up from
broken glass going through some of the less savoury parts of Manchester -
Moss Side and Hulme). I got hold of something called Tuffie Tape (IIRC) -
a very tough flexible tape that went between the tyre & the inner tube.
Never suffered a puncture after that on that bike. Didn't need it once I'd
upgraded to a mountain bike, but that's a different story.

Anyway, don't know whether this stuff is still available, or whether it is
possible to get it in the kind of width tat would be needed for a
wheelbarrow tyre, but it may be worth looking for.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 31-05-2005, 11:05 AM
davek

Anyway, don't know whether this stuff is still available, or whether it is
possible to get it in the kind of width tat would be needed for a
wheelbarrow tyre, but it may be worth looking for.

A relative used to have a bike shop and sold stuff called 'slime'. 'Orrible
innit?
Filled the inner tube with goo so it couldn't puncture.
Also sold solid bike tyres (as seen on Tomorrows World), the inner core was
like a soft honeycomb. He said they were lousy on a bike as they were so
heavy.
DaveK.

Old 31-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Mike Lyle

davek wrote:
Anyway, don't know whether this stuff is still available, or

whether
it is possible to get it in the kind of width tat would be needed
for a wheelbarrow tyre, but it may be worth looking for.

A relative used to have a bike shop and sold stuff called 'slime'.
'Orrible innit?
Filled the inner tube with goo so it couldn't puncture.
Also sold solid bike tyres (as seen on Tomorrows World), the inner
core was like a soft honeycomb. He said they were lousy on a bike

as
they were so heavy.
DaveK.

The car-tire places will mend a puncture on a wheelbarrow, no
problem. Keep the bits well greased, though, as it may be some years
before you need to get the wheel off, and it's embarrassing to find
the bearings are rusted in ("Guilty, m'lud!").

I don't know about makes, but if it's to be a special present, splash
out on a heavily galvanised one from the builders' merchant. The much
cheaper plain black-painted ones are OK if they live in a shed and
are kept clean; but they're unlikely to become family heirlooms.

--
Mike.

Old 31-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Henry

A relative used to have a bike shop and sold stuff called 'slime'.
'Orrible
innit?

Yep that's the stuff, iirc I saw some in Asda at a reasonable price.

Filled the inner tube with goo so it couldn't puncture.
Also sold solid bike tyres (as seen on Tomorrows World), the inner core
was like a soft honeycomb. He said they were lousy on a bike as they were
so heavy.

Yeah I've seen them, I always wondered how bad they were to use on a bike,
would be the ideal solution on a wheelbarrow where weight and comfort
weren't such an issue, I would have thought.

Henry

Old 31-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Mike

If it is a very dear friend, then don't buy a "Walsall Wheelbarrow Company
Limited" wheelbarrow.

'cos he won't be a friend after it has rusted away next year.

(If you want to see one, Mike Crowe, PO36 8PG)

Crap

--
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 4 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea

Old 31-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Bob Hobden

"Tim Guy" wrote
Strange question I know.

Id like a buy a Wheel Barrow for a gardeners birthday.

Are there recognised makes as being the Ferrari of the Wheel Barrow world?

If your friend is into old tools, or likes classy handmade items, and you
have deep pockets, how about a wooden one?

A friends came from...

http://netgardeners.co.uk/adverts/wdcraft.html Heritage Woodcraft of
Romsey (ignore the planters they do make proper ones, or did)

or http://wooden-wheels.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/ will make you one.

Nowhere near as practical as a steel builders wheelbarrow (or as light) if
you want one to use but sure looks better and with some looking after would
become an heirloom.
Actually, just like most Ferraris would you want to use it or keep it in the
garage? More a piece of engineering art.
--
Regards
Bob

Old 31-05-2005, 11:42 PM
pammyT

--"Tim Guy" wrote in message
Strange question I know.

Id like a buy a Wheel Barrow for a gardeners birthday.

Are there recognised makes as being the Ferrari of the Wheel Barrow world?

Cheers

Tim

Buy them a garden trolley instead. It will make their life so much easier.
I got mine for a lot less than this locally.
http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalo...ley_Carts.html

Old 01-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Sue Begg

In message , pammyT
writes

--"Tim Guy" wrote in message
Strange question I know.

Id like a buy a Wheel Barrow for a gardeners birthday.

Are there recognised makes as being the Ferrari of the Wheel Barrow world?

Cheers

Tim

Buy them a garden trolley instead. It will make their life so much easier.
I got mine for a lot less than this locally.
http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalo...ley_Carts.html

How about the electric wheelbarrow I saw in B&Q last week. Sorry I
didn't really take in much detail about it but I think it was about £150
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Need help finding a Henri water wheel. Lighted water wheel DD DDD Ponds 0 19-08-2005 04:34 AM
Re(2): High Wheel Cultivators Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 1 09-10-2003 06:42 AM
High Wheel Cultivators Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 5 08-10-2003 07:05 AM
Mower Wheel Removal Help! Niel Lawns 1 07-09-2003 02:06 AM
Wheel Replacement on Mountfield M3 Lawnmower Chris United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 09:20 AM