Old 24-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Steve Warren - UK Speedtrap Guide

Default Watering Idea.. anyone tried it..?

Hi

Last year during the short dry spells the ground in our garden dried up very
easily, Clay soil.
Through the winter I been adding compost to make the soil better and its
getting there.
When we watered the ground last year, because it was so dry the water would
run off rather than soak in. I have an idea to get a few lengths of black
drain pipe drill some holes down the side on the lower part, seal the bottom
and sick them along side the larger plants in the soil in a upright
position. Them when the plant needs watering I fill the drainpipe and let
the water drain slowly out of the pipe, now I know the roots will get the
water okay but does anyone do this and if so does it work and more
importantly did you notice a saving in water use.
Thanks
Steve

--
"The UK SpeedTrap Guide"
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Old 25-02-2003, 02:42 AM
Annabel

"Steve Warren - UK Speedtrap Guide" wrote in message
[...]

I have the same conditions as you and likewise thought of this solution,
it works beautifully, but why seal the bottom.. Where I am the trees in
community plantings have now sprouted pipes.

Bell

Old 25-02-2003, 09:14 AM
Natalie

. I have an idea to get a few lengths of black
drain pipe drill some holes down the side on the lower part, seal the

bottom
and sick them along side the larger plants in the soil in a upright
position. Them when the plant needs watering I fill the drainpipe and let
the water drain slowly out of the pipe, now I know the roots will get the
water okay but does anyone do this and if so does it work and more
importantly did you notice a saving in water use.

I have seen young trees with drainpipes next to them in the Geffrye Museum
gardens. http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/

Maybe you could speak to them to see how they work.

HTH

Natalie

Old 25-02-2003, 01:20 PM
Mon

[...]

If you want to save money, that's a good way to do it, but you can buy
exactly what you describe, end-stopper included. I got a kit last year, and
cut it in half, so that with a connector, I can water 2 raised beds by
attaching the hose at very low pressure(switching from one to the other as
required), and the water builds up in the pierced hose and trickle feeds the
bed over a few hours. Its great until you leave the hose connected but not
flowing, and the builders decide to use the hose, and just pull....... the
whole lot out of the raised bed {;-(((
MON

Old 25-02-2003, 06:56 PM
Steve Warren - UK Speedtrap Guide

"Snip"

Thanks for that I get planting plastic pipe on the weekend...

Steve

Old 25-02-2003, 07:41 PM
david

and for shrubs and other small trees you can just plant 2 or 3 litre pop
bottles with a few holes in the bottom with just their necks sticking out
this is another good way to get the water down deep and to encourage the
roots to grow Down, then they are more resistant to dry weather.
If you are sinking pipes then fill the top with wire mesh or something to
stop mice etc from falling in and being trapped.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 26-02-2003, 09:13 PM

"david" wrote in message
and for shrubs and other small trees you can just plant 2 or 3 litre pop
bottles with a few holes in the bottom with just their necks sticking out
this is another good way to get the water down deep and to encourage the
roots to grow Down, then they are more resistant to dry weather.
If you are sinking pipes then fill the top with wire mesh or something to
stop mice etc from falling in and being trapped.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Good point... I get some fine mesh to make lids then.
Steve

Old 28-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Jim

"david" wrote in message
and for shrubs and other small trees you can just plant 2 or 3 litre pop
bottles with a few holes in the bottom with just their necks sticking out
this is another good way to get the water down deep and to encourage the
roots to grow Down, then they are more resistant to dry weather.
If you are sinking pipes then fill the top with wire mesh or something to
stop mice etc from falling in and being trapped.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Likewise you can use in growbags or large containers although I stick
the neck end into the compost. Jim 2