Old 02-06-2005, 03:23 PM
covehithe

Default Petrol Brush Cutter/Trimmers????

Looking to buy a Brushcutter/Trimmer as a retirement present ( approx
1/4 acre grass , trees and rough area to cut). Got max =A3300 to spend
Slightly overwhelmed by models/makes etc. Any advice??
Should it be 2 stroke or 4 stroke, straight or bent shaft - which is
best make to go for??

many thanks

Old 02-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Bob Hobden

"covehithe" wrote ...
Looking to buy a Brushcutter/Trimmer as a retirement present ( approx
1/4 acre grass , trees and rough area to cut). Got max £300 to spend
Slightly overwhelmed by models/makes etc. Any advice??
Should it be 2 stroke or 4 stroke, straight or bent shaft - which is
best make to go for??

The ones used by professionals are by the German make Stihl, very well
built, spares available. If you go to their UK site you can find the name
and address of your nearest stockist and go and get a catalogue and browse
at your leisure.
They have quite a range of machines to choose from (and the price range is
vast too). :-)
http://www.stihl.co.uk/

Ensure it has a shoulder strap and buy yourself a full face mask and ear
defenders.

Personally I have had a Husqvarna strimmer for years and am more than happy
with it.
http://www.husqvarna.co.uk/

--
Regards
Bob

Old 02-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Dave Liquorice

On 2 Jun 2005 07:23:50 -0700, covehithe wrote:

Looking to buy a Brushcutter/Trimmer as a retirement present
(approx 1/4 acre grass , trees and rough area to cut).

Retirement, hum... Using as brush cutter or large strimmer is fairly
hardwork. I used to do our "lawn" with a medium strimmer (something
over a 12" cut) it would take at *least* couple of hours and I'd be
fairly tired afterwards. The "lawn" in question is roughly 50 x 10 yds
or less than 1/8th of an acre. (1 acre being 4840 sq yds).

Now have an 18" rotary mower that'll do it in about 30 to 60 mins
depending on how long it's got and thus how many trips to empty the
box are required...

If you do have brambles or serious undergrowth to deal with I'd be
tempted to hire a brush cutter to clear that and buy a reasonable
rotary mower to keep it down afterwards. Set on the highest cut they
are pretty effective at only allowing grass to thrive. And a smaller
strimmer to go around awkward objects that the mower won't touch.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 04-06-2005, 01:20 PM
covehithe

Thanks to you all for your replies - the cutter is not for me but a
colleague who is retiring. He has a very old and clapped out McCullock
which needs replacing and is use to using power cutter.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Duncan Heenan

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
[...]

After making false economies on chepies over the years, I now place my faith
in Stihl equipment. It's not cheap, but it is the best I've found -
reliable, effective, robust, easily maintained - and I hate things that
don't work!