GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ladybird??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/95231-ladybird.html)

p.k. 02-06-2005 05:08 PM

ladybird???

Spotted in a client's garden today:

Ladybird in form, size and movement.

Iridescent dark green in colour with faint red stripes along the wing
casings.

Loads of them on a lavender.

What was it?

pk

Jaques d'Alltrades 02-06-2005 06:25 PM

The message
from "p.k." contains these words:

Spotted in a client's garden today:

Ladybird in form, size and movement.

Iridescent dark green in colour with faint red stripes along the wing
casings.

Loads of them on a lavender.

What was it?

Have a google on Chrysoloina fastuosa - but I would have expected to
find it on things like deadnettles, not lavender.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

batgirl 02-06-2005 08:23 PM

Check this site,
http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/resea...ry_leaf_beetle

The Rosemary Leaf beetle is described as metallic green with purplish
stripes and feeds on rosemary (there's a surprise!), lavender and thyme.
There isn't a decent pic on the site and the google images I found weren't
much help but sounds possible?

5 minutes later...found this site
http://www.essexfieldclub.org.uk/ros...tle_survey.htm with excellent
pics and these people are collecting data on all sightings. They look very
beautiful.

Clare

p.k. 02-06-2005 11:44 PM

batgirl wrote:
Check this site,
http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/resea...ry_leaf_beetle

The Rosemary Leaf beetle is described as metallic green with purplish
stripes and feeds on rosemary (there's a surprise!), lavender and
thyme. There isn't a decent pic on the site and the google images I
found weren't much help but sounds possible?

5 minutes later...found this site
http://www.essexfieldclub.org.uk/ros...tle_survey.htm with
excellent pics and these people are collecting data on all sightings.
They look very beautiful.

Clare

Thanks, exactly matches the specimens we spotted.

Ain't this place wonderful!

pk

Miss Perspicacia Tick 02-06-2005 11:46 PM

martin wrote:
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:20:09 +0100, "Oxymel of Squill"
wrote:

"p.k." wrote in message
Spotted in a client's garden today:

Ladybird in form, size and movement.

Iridescent dark green in colour with faint red stripes along the
wing casings.

Loads of them on a lavender.

What was it?

the Russian for ladybird is God's Little Cow
did it moo at all?

or say pull the other one?

I can't believe you missed an opening... it's pull the /udder/ one...
honestly, you people... I can't always be doing the funnies... ;o)

Miss Perspicacia Tick 02-06-2005 11:50 PM

batgirl wrote:
Check this site,
http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/resea...ry_leaf_beetle

The Rosemary Leaf beetle is described as metallic green with purplish
stripes and feeds on rosemary (there's a surprise!), lavender and
thyme. There isn't a decent pic on the site and the google images I
found weren't much help but sounds possible?

5 minutes later...found this site
http://www.essexfieldclub.org.uk/ros...tle_survey.htm with
excellent pics and these people are collecting data on all sightings.
They look very beautiful.

Clare

Clare,

The Rosemary Leaf Beetle I know of is purple with green stripes, not the
other way around.

See http://www.just-green.com/BreakingNews_05.asp.

batgirl 03-06-2005 07:47 PM

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
The Rosemary Leaf Beetle I know of is purple with green stripes, not the
other way around.

See http://www.just-green.com/BreakingNews_05.asp.

I have no idea about these beetles until I found this info last night. Seems
to be the one the chap is looking for.