Old 03-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Registered User

Question low growing hedge for privacy in winter?

I am renting a house that has large overwintering cattle barns overlooking it above a slope rising from the back of the garden.

I have no privacy at the back and so would like to grow a hedge at the top of the garden below the wall to hide the farmyard.

Naturally I dont want an anti-social one that grows too high (also cutting the hedge back every year is out of the question as I cant do it myself and there is no one else to do so in this remote place).

I want a hedge that cannot be looked through (possibly evergreen), preferably native and fast growing but growing to a full height of only 10 to 15 feet.

A number of friends suggested laurel but that grows to 40/50 feet!

Other suggested various conifers but I feel they are depressing to look out on and foreign but if there was a low one I might settle for it....not my preference though.

I really wanted rhododendrums but I am told that they grow too slowly.

I need the privacy in the winter when the tractors are in the yard above so the hedge needs to be thick.
Grateful for advice,
Thanks,
Sara........
Old 03-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered User

PS. The house is in Northern Ireland in a peaty area.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:35 PM
JennyC

"sarasara" wrote in message

[...]

Laurel can be pruned to keep it the size you want. It grows quite fast too.
BUT are you allowed to plant stuff in a rented place ??
Jenny

Old 03-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Duncan Heenan

"JennyC" wrote in message

"sarasara" wrote in message

[...]

How about Griselina Lottoralis?
(Spelling??)

Old 04-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Registered User

What I am looking for is a hedge/shrub that I DONT have to prune or cut preferably native and fast growing but growing to a full height of only 10 to 15 feet.