Old 03-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Willobie

Default Pruning a heather

I have a 4-year old erica lusitanica with a main stem which is now reaching
4ft tall. I would like to reduce the height by about 50%. but my book says
I shouldn't cut into the old wood... There is plenty of new growth at the
bottom and I thought that cutting back the main stem might improve the shape
(make it more bushy). Can I do this and, if so, when is the best time -
it's just finished flowering...

Willobie

Old 04-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:30:25 +0100, "Willobie"
wrote:

I have a 4-year old erica lusitanica with a main stem which is now reaching
4ft tall. I would like to reduce the height by about 50%. but my book says
I shouldn't cut into the old wood... There is plenty of new growth at the
bottom and I thought that cutting back the main stem might improve the shape
(make it more bushy). Can I do this and, if so, when is the best time -
it's just finished flowering...

I didn't know this plant. Google's first entry had it under weeds but
I guess that was in USA!
If it's got new growth at the bottom, you could presumably do as you
suggest and cut back the main stem. I should think now is just right.
One web site mentioned Sheffield Park, so I guess it must be like
other ericas, needing acid soil, so a good dose of some suitlable feed
after the chop would be a good idea too.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

I have a 4-year old erica lusitanica with a main stem which is now reaching
4ft tall. I would like to reduce the height by about 50%. but my book says
I shouldn't cut into the old wood... There is plenty of new growth at the
bottom and I thought that cutting back the main stem might improve the shape
(make it more bushy). Can I do this and, if so, when is the best time -
it's just finished flowering...

Willobie

Provided there's plenty of new growth from the base as you say, it
should be OK. Some tree heaths can be pruned back quite hard and will
shoot from old wood, but I don't know for certain about E. lusitanica.
Prune after flowering, so now would be OK. It's naturally
upright-growing, so whether you can make it bushy, I'm not sure.

Incidentally, it has become naturalised in places along the railway
embankment in east Cornwall, growing on almost pure shale, and grows
to about 6 feet. Seeds itself vigorously IME!

--
Chris

Free heather catalog Zee Brown Roses 2 31-01-2004 01:12 AM
Free heather catalog Zee Brown Gardening 1 30-01-2004 11:32 PM
planting Heather and lavender together Joe Soap of the Crumbling Spires United Kingdom 4 08-09-2003 06:03 PM
Attn: Heather Edwards Bruce Thomas Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Tiny Heather update jammer Gardening 1 26-01-2003 04:03 AM