Old 03-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Jim Lesurf

Default Hellebore problem

I've just received some hellebore plants from T&M.

They have black markings on some of the leaves. At some places at the edges
of leaves they have a 'burnt looking' edge with a piece that is either
missing or white/shrivelled surrounded by black.

They were 3 days in the post.

I phoned T&M and they immediately offerred me a refund or credit note, so I
have no quibbles with them. (They apologised as they had no more hellebores
so could not replace.) They also said I did not have to return the plants.

Am I correct in suspecting the cause is some sort of fungus or virus or
similar? If so, are the plants rescuable? If so, how?

I have temporarily put them in their pots on the window sill. As a holding
action I could repot them and sit them outside, well away from the other
hellebore we have.

If possible I'd like to rescue and use them, but am concerned that they
will die, and if planted near an existing well-established hellebore will
infect that plant as well.

Advice on rescue, treatment, cause?...

Would it be safe to plant them near an existing hellebore?

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html
Old 03-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Emrys Davies

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
[...]

The hellebore forum may be able to help you if you are not successful
here.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/hellebore/

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 03-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:53:24 +0100, Jim Lesurf
wrote:

I've just received some hellebore plants from T&M.

3 plants?
Mine came a couple of weeks ago and I was very impressed with the
quality. I can't comment about what is wrong with your seedlings, but
I would pot them and put them in a shady part of the garden. If they
make new growth then cut off the damaged leaves. I guess they are
suffering from their travels; heat, cold etc and not likely to be any
disease. Good luck. You have nothing to lose!
I have had 4 lots of plug-plants from T&M this year and they all
arrived in excellent condition.

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Jim Lesurf

wrote:

I've just received some hellebore plants from T&M.

3 plants? Mine came a couple of weeks ago and I was very impressed with
the quality. I can't comment about what is wrong with your seedlings,
but I would pot them and put them in a shady part of the garden.

OK. So far I have just put them in a shady spot and will keep an eye on
them for a few days.

If they make new growth then cut off the damaged leaves. I guess they
are suffering from their travels; heat, cold etc and not likely to be
any disease.

I'm fairly new at gardening. The black areas, etc, made me assume this was
some sort of infection - fungus or virus or whatever. There is also some
black on some of the stems which looks like something powdery has been
painted on. Is it feasible that symptoms like this are not infection but
due to being in a box and banged about in the post?

I have been wondering if I should buy some of the 'roseclear' type of spray
that kills pests and fungus and spray them. Would this do any harm, or make
sense for the hellebores?

Good luck. You have nothing to lose!

Well, T&M were excellent w.r.t. to immediately offering a refund. Full
marks for promptness on that! However I am nervous that if they have an
infection it will affect other plants...

I have had 4 lots of plug-plants from T&M this year and they all arrived
in excellent condition.

I bought some potentillas from them a while ago that were also fine, and
seem to be growing well. I also have some other items which I hope will be
coming quite soon. So far, despite the arrival state of the hellebores I
have found T&M to be quite good.

Certainly better than another company I bought some clematis from a couple
of months ago. One of these was dead on arrival, and the others were not
entirely happy. Not impressed. Very poorly packed, etc. Whereas the T&M
packs seem quite well thought out. Alas, the postal service would probably
mean that even a Chieftain 2 tank might be insufficient packing for some
items. 8-]

Hellebore Seeds Janice United Kingdom 5 12-09-2003 07:22 PM
Hellebore Seeds Janice United Kingdom 2 11-09-2003 11:18 PM
Collecting Hellebore Seeds Adrian Jones United Kingdom 3 08-05-2003 12:32 AM
Hellebore seedlings ... Tugger United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 10:44 AM
Hellebore Orientalis Jack United Kingdom 1 11-02-2003 12:29 AM