Old 04-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Mike

Default Open Garden

We have been 'talked into' opening our garden for an afternoon for some
"Garden Safari" scheme or other.

Advice please from you seasoned experts as to what we should do and what we
should not do.

Our garden does go through from one road at the front to the one behind. Is
it a good idea or not, to have an 'In here' and 'Exit there' so they go
straight through?

(Ices and Cream Teas are being organised in another garden)

Mike

--
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 4 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea

Old 04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
shazzbat

"Mike" wrote in message
We have been 'talked into' opening our garden for an afternoon for some
"Garden Safari" scheme or other.

Advice please from you seasoned experts as to what we should do and what

we
should not do.

Our garden does go through from one road at the front to the one behind.

Is
it a good idea or not, to have an 'In here' and 'Exit there' so they go
straight through?

(Ices and Cream Teas are being organised in another garden)

Mike

I would imagine most people would want to go out the way they came in, some
because of superstition, and some because of idleness, they parked as close
as poss and don't want to walk round the block to get back to the car. Of
course if you were to let them in the front, and put a sign up at the back
pointing them to the next garden/ tearooms etc that might work.

When is it anyway? I don't often get to the Island, but you never know.....

Steve

Old 04-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Mike

I would imagine most people would want to go out the way they came in,

some
because of superstition, and some because of idleness, they parked as

close
as poss and don't want to walk round the block to get back to the car. Of
course if you were to let them in the front, and put a sign up at the back
pointing them to the next garden/ tearooms etc that might work.

I feel that the organiser will take advantage of the 'through route' to have
the trek going to another garden. Also, as far as I can tell, it would all
be walking as the gardens are close together in relation to each other and
driving from one to the other would be a pain in the whatsit

When is it anyway? I don't often get to the Island, but you never

know.....

Sunday July 24th 2.0pm - 4.0pm

Mike

Old 04-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Rhiannon Sands

"Mike" wrote in message
We have been 'talked into' opening our garden for an afternoon for some
"Garden Safari" scheme or other.

Advice please from you seasoned experts as to what we should do and what

we
should not do.

Our garden does go through from one road at the front to the one behind.

Is
it a good idea or not, to have an 'In here' and 'Exit there' so they go
straight through?

(Ices and Cream Teas are being organised in another garden)

I'd say better have an "in" and "exit" system or you'll just have people
getting in each other's way aand treading on each other's feet (or worse
your plants) as they try to get by. At least with a one way system they'll
all be heading the one way.
--

Rhiannon_S
I'm not an idiot, I'm just communing with my Pineal gland!

Old 04-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Mike

I'd say better have an "in" and "exit" system or you'll just have people
getting in each other's way aand treading on each other's feet (or worse
your plants) as they try to get by. At least with a one way system

they'll
all be heading the one way.
--

Those were my thoughts and why I suggested it. Once they are in, the only
way is ....... out :-))

Mike

Old 04-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Kay

In article , Rhiannon Sands
writes

I'd say better have an "in" and "exit" system or you'll just have people
getting in each other's way aand treading on each other's feet (or worse
your plants) as they try to get by. At least with a one way system they'll
all be heading the one way.

I would want to be able to see one plant, then see another further down
the garden, and be able to go back and look again at the first to
compare, and generally want to wander around the garden at my own pace,
looking at what I'm interested in and learning as I go through, and not
be shepherded straight through.
--
Kay

Old 04-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Mike

National Service (RAF) Ass.
I would want to be able to see one plant, then see another further down
the garden, and be able to go back and look again at the first to
compare, and generally want to wander around the garden at my own pace,
looking at what I'm interested in and learning as I go through, and not
be shepherded straight through.
--

Our garden is such that to come in at the front, then go through to the
back, would be logical and I doubt if you would want to go back to the front

Mike