Old 05-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Stephen Williams

Default Clematis Pruning

Hi all,

Two questions - both with the same requirement.

1. I have a 9 year old Montana (don't know the name) that is starting to out
grow it's allotted space. I know it's a "lightly" prune clematis, but how
hard can I prune it and still get it to flower next year?

2. I have a 15 year old Nelly Moser that is currently flowering it's heart
out, but it is also tangled up with an Ivy that has broken the glass in the
greenhouse. The ivy has to go so that I can replace the glass, but this
means that I have to be brutal to the Nelly Moser - how hard can I prune
this without doing too much damage?

Thanks
Steve

Old 06-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Stephen Williams" wrote in message
Hi all,

Two questions - both with the same requirement.

1. I have a 9 year old Montana (don't know the name) that is starting to

out
grow it's allotted space. I know it's a "lightly" prune clematis, but how
hard can I prune it and still get it to flower next year?

2. I have a 15 year old Nelly Moser that is currently flowering it's heart
out, but it is also tangled up with an Ivy that has broken the glass in

the
greenhouse. The ivy has to go so that I can replace the glass, but this
means that I have to be brutal to the Nelly Moser - how hard can I prune
this without doing too much damage?

Thanks
Steve

You can prune both after flowering, the montana can be cut back hard
(anything you can get the secateurs through can be considered fair game!)
Nelly I prune mine hard back in June about every third year and just tidy it
the other two.
HTH

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Stephen Williams

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

[...]

Charlie,
Many thanks for the info.
The Montana is just finishing flowering so that can expect a hair cut any
day now. The Nelly Moser is still in full flower with plenty of buds
waiting to break so that will have to be done later in the month.

Cheers
Steve

Old 09-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

I've read that you can cut clematis about 6" from the ground and if you planted deeply enough (2"/3" below surface) it will send up new shoots from the base. If its an old plant it should have a large root and so should respond with vigorous growth and lots of stems. however never had to do this myself and this recommendation is based on what to do if you suffer clematis wilt, but still i believe it means u can prune as hard as u want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Williams